Is this projector any good?

john01dav

http://www.amazon.com/Amoker-Upgraded-Portable-Projector-Interface/dp/B00ME8RNAQ/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1424146792&sr=1-5&keywords=1080p+led+projector#customerReviews

I am looking to setup a home theatre (probably with a cluster of a few old XP machines running Linux, I'd rather not spend anything on a new one and I have tons of those lying around). I'd like to spend < US$100 on the projector if possible. I already have good speakers for it. Also, is it true that a LED projector will remove the worry of it burning out and having to spend tons of money on replacing the bulb? If that projector is a bad option, what would be a better option in my price range (if any such projector exists). Also, it is preferable that it supports VGA (the old XP machines only have VGA outputs) and that it is at least 720p, preferably 1080p.

Pretty shitty if you ask me.

"AV, VGA, SD,"
"Native Resolution: 320 x 240 "

"Supported resolution: 1920x1080"

I'd suggest upping your budget to at least $200 if you want something of good quality.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Pretty shitty if you ask me.

"Supported resolution: 1920x1080"

I'd suggest upping your budget to at least $200 if you want something of good quality.

I would, but I just don't have the money :(.

I would, but I just don't have the money :(.

Perhaps save up a bit?

IMO its better to wait a while to save more and get a higher quality product in the first place than to blow all your money on a cheap one that may break at any point in time, then have to upgrade it in the future anyways.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

The thing with these super cheap projectors, is they use super low resolution LCDs and they use a low power light source, which leaves you with a horrible looking dark image. Maybe look for a used projector, just make sure the lamp hasn't been used too much otherwise you might have to pay $200 for a new one.

As a movie projector it will suck, save your dough up and get something better, preferably with atleast a 720p native resolution and something exceeding 1K lumens.

If I managed to get $200 from somewhere, what projector would you recommend?

Okay, I hate to break it, but the jump of $100 to $200 isn't really substantial enough to make much of a difference at this price range, I would seriously recommend buying a second hand device, even if the bulb (I would recommend DLP over lcd) has a few hundred hours on it. 

I know you probably don't want to hear it, but unless you haven't got the money to put down for a decent projector your not going to have a good experience.

Anyway, if you do decide to look at second hand projectors some good brands are Optoma (I can personally vouch for this company, my projector is awesome) benq, epson, or cannon. 

ALSO No, you don't need to replace the LCD in LCD projectors, but personally, I think the colours are better on DLP. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I hate to break it, but the jump of $100 to $200 isn't really substantial enough to make much of a difference at this price range, I would seriously recommend buying a second hand device, even if the bulb (I would recommend DLP over lcd) has a few hundred hours on it. 

I know you probably don't want to hear it, but unless you haven't got the money to put down for a decent projector your not going to have a good experience.

Anyway, if you do decide to look at second hand projectors some good brands are Optoma (I can personally vouch for this company, my projector is awesome) benq, epson, or cannon. 

ALSO No, you don't need to replace the LCD in LCD projectors, but personally, I think the colours are better on DLP. 

Thanks for the advice :). Where would be a good place to look for second hand projectors? Ebay? I am not too concerned with color quality, it should just look decent. Would a DLP need to have it's bulb replaced?

Thanks for the advice :). Where would be a good place to look for second hand projectors? Ebay? I am not too concerned with color quality, it should just look decent. Would a DLP need to have it's bulb replaced?

Any second hand shop or site really would do, be that amazon, ebay, craigslist / gumtree. DLP does require a bulb change, but after how many hours is all down to the bulb, some projectors like mine can be 6K hours before its recommended to get a new bulb, but some are 10K + hours. Which is ample of time.

If you mean, would it need a bulb replaced as soon as you get a second hand, no, not unless its got so many hours that its recommending to get a replacement bulb, just ask before you buy as to the hours on the bulb (Usually this is stated in the settings somewhere) and if its the default bulb , if not research that bulb up and if its its got anything less than 4*'s I would ignore it, and if the bulb in the projector only has a few hundred hours left I would also ignore it, unless its such a good deal that you can get a new bulb and still be saving good dough.  

Any second hand shop or site really would do, be that amazon, ebay, craigslist / gumtree. DLP does require a bulb change, but after how many hours is all down to the bulb, some projectors like mine can be 6K hours before its recommended to get a new bulb, but some are 10K + hours. Which is ample of time.

If you mean, would it need a bulb replaced as soon as you get a second hand, no, not unless its got so many hours that its recommending to get a replacement bulb, just ask before you buy as to the hours on the bulb (Usually this is stated in the settings somewhere) and if its the default bulb , if not research that bulb up and if its its got anything less than 4*'s I would ignore it, and if the bulb in the projector only has a few hundred hours left I would also ignore it, unless its such a good deal that you can get a new bulb and still be saving good dough.  

There is a chance that my projector will be on 24/7 -- hence the need for a bulb that can be very cheaply replaced or doesn't need to be replaced. I think I remember reading somewhere that a regular light bulb (the kind in a lamp or ceiling) can be put in a projector somehow to save money... is this at all true?