Roadside Junk in a Box

Higgl3

Junk in a box

P7Uz5dhh.jpg

Back Story, Parts and Planning

So, I was walking around Melbourne one afternoon and it happened to be hard rubbish day. I spied what looked to be a PC in one pile of junk and went over to have a look. I opened it up, thinking it's probably just trash and find to my suprise a build with an intel core i5 2500, 8gigs of 1333mhz ram and a HSI AMD 6790:

LqV0VLJh.jpg

(I'd already dismantled it an put it back together for this picture)

So I took it home and plugged it up to a screen, thinking "there's no way this is ever going to work" and lo and behold, IT POSTS!  :)

given my current computer is an old netbook and I was just thinking whether or not to build a budget gaming PC, this is like a magical gift from the great lord Gaben himself!

But before putting it in my room I definitely wanted to get a better case! something smaller, quieter and preferably very very cheap (I'm just starting at uni and have very little money)

So I went and ordered some parts:

gE5Ti1Dl.jpg

The Graphics card seemed to be bust, so I bought an R9 270 ($215) and I splurged on a 256 gig Samsung 840 evo ssd ($150). I also purchased a 2Tb Seagate barracuda ($100), 2 of the cheapest 140mm fans I could find (nanoxia deep silence for $9 each) and a Silverstone 2x140mm magnetic fan filter($14). 

However upon  plugging this all in and installing Windows (Student copy for $70  ;)) I plugged in the graphics card to find it still didn't work (yeah I tried changing the display options in the bios and un and reinstalling drivers and stuff). So I figured the PCI-E bus must be dead (which is probably the reason that whoever it was threw out the computer anyway thank Gaben!)

SO, back to the internet to order some more parts. I bought a Gigabyte B75-D3H ($90, the price inflated by their lack of availability) and just to be on the safe side I bought a corsair 500 watt, bronze, modular power supply because I DID NOT trust that Ritmo "tri-fan, gamer edition" power supply that was already in there.

tDic1ubl.jpg

In the meantime I'd done a few quick scribbles of ideas I had for a case and drawn it all up in Google Sketchup:

kR7OsHkm.jpglMNeNGUm.jpg

5oar791m.jpgmPhtM0Gm.jpg

I'd decided at this stage to make it out of wood, as I love the look, It's cheap, and something I can easily work with

8aBf43Kh.jpgFFvgjQCh.jpg05vwltJh.jpg

The Building of the thing

So I went out and bought me a 1.8 metre length of 19mm thick, 185mm wide pine (although I measured and it was only 184mm :/  ) from Bunnings (The most common big hardware store in Australia like your home depot I think?) and I knew we had a bit of plywood lying around at home that I could use if I needed. That set me back $14 and the busfare into town (yes it was awkward to carry on the bus).

First thing was to clamp the plank down and route out the hole for the front fan filter

(disclaimer, nearly all the photos were taken with a nexus potato 5 the only camera I had access to)

XLD5bYjl.jpg

PWOXGuch.jpg

After that I cut out the hole for the fans themselves to go through:

Qh9s7R5h.jpg

Not a bad fit!

NFWGPGjh.jpg

Next I similarly cut out the rest of the panels with a jigsaw and finger-jointed the corners

VWsIOjNh.jpg

TILT SHIFT FOR THE WIN

VcGrsC3h.jpg

time to glue it all together

QhQ4pIfl.jpg

I was gluing this at night, so I took a snap of the full moon

VqROpOwl.jpg

The following morning...

v2JZVn3h.jpg

Yay!

next I glued on the front panel

4NtFDiTh.jpg

I was getting pretty excited by this stage so I did a test fit of everything

kFbhh6Dl.jpg

I was already beginning to dread the cable management

next I cut out the rear panel (again with a jigsaw)

WAPX6Gdl.jpg

and then I glued it on

nht8nj3h.jpg

wE NEED MOAR CLAAAAAAAMPS!!!

you can never have too many clamps!  :)

then I cut out and glued in this tiny side panel holder

SqpUygLm.jpg

QdgYiNah.jpg

not bad  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I found a bit of ply in the shed which really didn't look to bad for cheap ply

rQWvFrsl.jpg

and I cut out the 2 side panels ( one would be glued in and the other removable)

m1nqx6Jh.jpg

I glued in that badboy in, planed all my edges flat and sanded everything nicely

Time to oil up!

everything's better with oil

potato + oil = chips = good

turtle + oil = oily turtle = excellent

wood + oil = pretty shiny oily wood! = wonderful!

SUFlca9h.jpg

all the finishing touches

then I removed the front headphone/microphone/usb ports from the old Thermaltake case (with excessive force and a hammer :D ) and I cut holes for them to go through in the top of the case (in hindsight this would have been a lot easier if I'd done it before glued everything together)

2X9hrjNl.jpg

then I similarly removed the power button from the old case (hammer! :D ) and made my own button with an offcut of ply

NcPXNXPl.jpg

then I stuck in all the necessary motherboard standoffs, cable management hooks and Higgl3's patent pending, anti-vibration, anti-moneyspending, suspended hard drive mount. it actually works really well.

W0bQ3Jch.jpg

Putting it all together

so first I put in the sneaky beaky poower switch which is routed behind the PSU and Motherboard

X04DMQTh.jpg

Tape dat up

2s0DCTyh.jpg

then I put in the power supply and storage drives

u4jEqqHh.jpg

then ensued a fearsome battle with the monstrous cable Kraken which lasted many hours. In the end I tamed the mighty beast resulting in...

QkCJMbXh.jpg

then I stuck in the front (top) i/o

P7Uz5dhh.jpg

my dank hard drive mount

M7atei1l.jpg

I then acquired some tacks

agScIO0l.jpg

and popped them in the front in positions corresponding to the magnets on the back of the fan filter so that the fan filter would stick in place

dm6qCHOl.jpg

lastly I stuck in some additional rubber bands which attached to hooks on the back of the side panel to hold it in place

K5INtyyh.jpg

action shot if the side panel rubber bands

025rkVMh.jpg

and all done!

iHcim6Yh.jpg

YAY!?!!

Budget details

so the case cost me:

pine plank  $14

2 fans        $18

fan filter     $14

Total          $46

and the computer components cost me:

GPU    ASUS R9 270                   $215

MOBO Gigabyte B75-D3H           $100

SSD     256G Samsung 840 evo  $150

HDD     2Tb Seagate Barracuda  $100

PSU     Corsair cx500m               $100

Total                                            $665

Prices suck here in Australia : / but still, I didn't end up paying much for a pretty beastly system. I figure the free CPU and ram are probably worth about $250, so not bad.

Final thoughts and pic's

it was a fun build! relatively cheap and I've got a super small, super quiet case that looks good and cost me less than any pre-built options.

the total size ended up being:

width:  182mm

height: 363mm

depth:  317mm

lemme know if you've got any questions and stuff. I'll answer when I can!

I'm possibly going to submit it into that build comp thread thing, but I dunno how well it will go. It seems they're full of crazy expensive balls to the walls custom builds with SLI and custom watercooling loops. not budget boxes of junk.

Some time in the future when I have money (i.e. when I'm no longer a student) I'll make a similar sized build but better designed and with better components (maybe a full watercooling loop?) and some nicer timber. My current dream build is a super tiny micro atx sli build with 2 of those tiny Gigabyte small form factor 970's and one of those tiny Silverstone power supplies (the one which is exactly the size of a 120mm fan). If I could get me some custom waterblocks for 2 of those tiny 970s that would be EPIC.

anyways, Here's some more pics:

with an apple and pencil for scale

tgnvPwrh.jpg

the i/o and the super secret power button on the right

40nhEl9h.jpg

them sweet sweet finger joints

uzJFon8h.jpg

voila!

H3lUOZMh.jpg

:)

i like turtles

Spoiler please.

Those drawings look great.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Ron Swanson would be proud... How are the Temps tho with only PSU as exhaust?

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Nice build.

So if the PCIE Bus was.... Busted.. (bumdumtss) What did you do with the 6790?

New PC Build - Build Log - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/276039-project-swift-force/

[spoiler=]

• Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero
  • CPU: Intel i7-4790K
  • GPU1: GIGABYTE G1 GAMING GTX 970 4GB
  • GPU2: GIGABYTE G1 GAMING GTX 970 4GB
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red, 16gb (2x8GB) @1600mhz
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W 80+ Gold
  • CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB 7200RPM
  • SSD: Samsung 840 EVO - 250GB
  • Monitor: Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 27" 144hz G-Sync
  • Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 600 OHM
  • DAC/AMP: Mayflower Objective2 + ODAC Combo
  • Mouse: ROCCAT Kone Pure Optical
  • Keyboard: KBP V60 - Cherry MX Brown

not a a nuff thumbs up throw it away its garbage

its a joke ship it to me

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

Spoiler please.

Those drawings look great.

How do you do those spoiler things? I've always wondered that. I'll put them in once I figure out how :/

Nice build.

So if the PCIE Bus was.... Busted.. (bumdumtss) What did you do with the 6790?

Thanks man!

currently the 6790 is just lying around my room, if anyone lives around Melbourne I'd be happy to give it to them! (still not %100 sure if it works or not)

i like turtles

How do you do those spoiler things? I've always wondered that. I'll put them in once I figure out how :/

Thanks man!

currently the 6790 is just lying around my room, if anyone lives around Melbourne I'd be happy to give it to them! (still not %100 sure if it works or not)

[*****] [/*****] replace * with spoiler and don't forget to put / in the second brackets.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Ron Swanson would be proud... How are the Temps tho with only PSU as exhaust?

thanks man!

I just booted up some battlefield 4 and played it for 10 minutes

gpuz clocks my GPU tems at 61 degrees and realtemp says my cpu's running at 55 on the the hottest core.and 49 on the coolest

I was running everything on high and getting solid 60 fps, but I probably need to play for quite a bit longer to get some more accurate readings which I'll do when I get a chance.

I figure any air that's going into the case has to be going out somewhere else, so just having intakes hasn't really hurt the airflow that much I think. There are plenty of cutouts on the back of the case ( I didn't stick in the motherboard rear i/o shield) and so it's kinda just got a passive exhaust system. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i like turtles

I figure any air that's going into the case has to be going out somewhere else, so just having intakes hasn't really hurt the airflow that much I think. There are plenty of cutouts on the back of the case ( I didn't stick in the motherboard rear i/o shield) and so it's kinda just got a passive exhaust system. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah you're probably right... I was just curious because on my old pc i only had an intake fan and no exhausts which lead to air congestion and the temps got really high.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

[*****] [/*****] replace * with spoiler and don't forget to put / in the second brackets.

thanks for your advice  :)

i like turtles

thanks for your advice  :)

No problem.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

its a joke ship it to me

Thanks! I am actually thinking that I might sell it if I can and use the funds to buy myself a laptop. lots less gamesable but probably a lot more practical for uni.

¯\(°_o)/¯

i like turtles

Shoot, you reminded me to update my own build log in a wooden case. I really need to paint it this weekend.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

Nice find and build! Your wood working is great, I wish I could do something like this.

Also um doesnt the mobo need to be grounded with like the screws? Or does it ground with the PSU pins?