10G broadband service is now available in Hong Kong(*update: PCCW's 10G broadband service is now available to selected customers)

snowComet

Today one of the ISPs in Hong Kong PCCW revealed their annual result of 2014. In this announcement PCCW also revealed their plans for 10G broadband in Hong Kong.

In the presentation slides PCCW revealed that they are going to launch 10G PON (Passive Optical Network) service in 2015, and they provided some details on it, as shown below.

10G PON Rollout Strategy

1. HKT’s past investment means we have a fiber-rich asset today
– 10Gbps is a small incremental investment and demand driven

2. 1H 2015 will be pilot stage

3. Commercial launch in Q3 2015 will cover all of Hong Kong within HKT’s
FTTH-Ready footprint (i.e. already 80.8%)

4. Existing FTTH customers will be able to upgrade without additional
installation work
– Only a modem change is required at the customer premises

5. In addition to 10Gbps broadband speed, HKT’s modem will provide Wi-Fi
connectivity on 802.11ac to deliver 1Gbps wireless broadband

They didn't reveal pricing, equipment and availability of it. I guess they will be using Huawei's modem for it, as PCCW has been using Huawei's modem for years, and Huawei has been showcasing 10G broadband solution for a long time. And they revealed a 10G broadband test bench in the slides as well, which they got a result of 8680Mbps on speedmeter.

But PCCW is not the only ISP in Hong Kong that will deploy 10G. Another ISP in Hong Kong called "Hong Kong BroadBand Network" (HKBN)  is now offering 10G broadband service as well. Last month a forum user on a Hong Kong tech forum "HKEPC" called "冷" (literally means cold) revealed on a forum post that HKBN is now offering a 10G broadband service. Although it is not listed on HKBN's website, you can find a tariff from HKBN regarding their 10G broadband service if you googled the term "10g hkbn". There is still no info on the equipment and infrastructures behind HKBN's 10G services, but there are some ridicious points about HKBN's 10G plan in the revealed info.

Firstly there are no data cap on the 10G plan, and according to "冷"'s post on HKEPC  you don't need to pay the installation fee, and they will conduct a field test on yr location, to ensure that the infrastructures on yr location can run 10G. But ridiculously the monthly fee of the 10G broadband is HKD $50000, which is around $6450. In comparison, HKBN's 1G fiber business plan, with 8 Fixed IP, is around HKD$10000.  I don't think many could pay for this high price to get 10G in Hong Kong. 

Secondly, in the tariff it was stated that the "International Internet access of each subscribed IP address" will be limited to 20Mps. This is the statement in the tariff regarding this limitation.

1. The specification of bandwidth speed is based on Internet connection from the

wallplate at customer’s premises to the first piece of HKBN’s network equipment.
The actual bandwidth that the customer can use may be affected by customer
hardware, software, router specification, destination site traffic loading, type of
content being accessed and other environmental factors. The bandwidth to
overseas sites will also be subjected to the conditions of local network at remote
end and other extraneous factors. Unless otherwise specified, the upload of
International Internet access of each subscribed IP address is limited to 20Mbps
maximum. HKBN may take appropriate actions from time to time on customer
subscribed circuits as it sees fit to ensure that the throughput does not exceed the
aforementioned limits.

Although I don't think I will get 10G broadband service in the near future, I will hope that pricing of broadband in HK will drop as higher speed broadband is introduced. 

PCCW's annual result in 2014 presentation slides ( slides about 10G PON is from p44 to end)

http://www.hkt.com/staticfiles/HKTCorpsite2/About%20HKT/Investor%20relations/Announcements%20&%20notices/2015/Feb/HKT%202014%20Annual%20Results%20Presentation_FINAL_2015-02-10.pdf

HKBN's tariff on 10G broadband service

http://www.hkbn.net/new/pdf/Broadband%20Network%20Access%20Service%202015%20-%20F0006-001-Jan2015-N.PDF

"冷"'s post on HKEPC regarding HKBN's 10G broadband service (in Chinese)

http://www.hkepc.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=2164272&extra=page%3D5&page=1

*update on 10/02/2015

PCCW just release a press statement, saying their 10G broadband service is now available to select customers, and will be made available broadly to customers in the general commercial launch targeted in the third quarter of this year. Still no mention on pricing. 

Fiber-rich HKT introduces 10G broadband service

HKT – Redefining Broadband          Building for Tomorrow, Today

HKT (SEHK: 6823) – HONG KONG, February 10, 2015 – HKT is redefining the meaning of leading-edge broadband connectivity service in Hong Kong with the introduction of 10G broadband service over our extensive fiber network for both residential and commercial customers.

Upon its commercial launch, all premises that are within HKT’s FTTH (fiber-to-the-home) coverage – currently comprising more than 80% of Hong Kong households and progressively expanding – will have the opportunity to enjoy this ultra-fast network speed. Our existing 504,000 FTTH customers may also upgrade to 10G service easily.

10G broadband is ideal for customers with a real need for speed such as for home office, online gaming, OTT movies, etc., as well as those who simply aspire for the great and better things in life. For instance, it would take only about 20 seconds* to download a typical HD feature movie with a file size of 25G using 10Gbps broadband. The same download might take 400 seconds* (6.7 minutes) if using 500Mbps service or more than 33 minutes* on a 100Mbps service.

The NETVIGATOR 10G PON (passive optical network) service will initially be provided to select customers in the pilot phase of introduction which will commence immediately. It will be made available broadly to customers in the general commercial launch targeted in the third quarter of this year.

Mr. Alex Arena, Group Managing Director of HKT, said, "In line with our "Building for Tomorrow, Today" promise, we are bringing this technological breakthrough to our customers as early as possible. We know that Hong Kong consumers demand the best and enjoy having world-leading services available quickly. As the first operator to introduce 10G service in Hong Kong, HKT also has the unique capability of offering this service to everyone under our FTTH footprint because of the investments that we have made in the past in building an extensive fiber-rich network to handle technological evolution. Because of our abundant fiber resources, incremental cost for the deployment of 10G service to meet customer demand is also well contained within our normal capital expenditure budget."

"Our data show that a considerable portion of our FTTH customers are using 500Mbps service or above, and we believe there is strong potential for customer upgrades," Mr. Arena added.

As the world embraces more and more digital technology, the pace of change increases. New consumer devices are becoming more bandwidth-hungry and continue to provide faster processing speeds. HKT has built a fixed broadband network to fully utilize the developments in technology and consumer devices. Together with its market-leading mobile broadband network which is now being dimensioned for LTE-A at 300Mbps, HKT offers an unparalleled broadband experience across both fixed and mobile networks – and progressively HKT is building these networks so that they can operate seamlessly as consumers lead their normal lives and move across HKT’s networks.

•  
  • HKT – Redefining Broadband
  • Building for Tomorrow, Today

* Download speed is based on theoretical calculation. Actual speeds experienced by customers may be lower, depending on various extraneous factors.

About HKT

HKT (SEHK: 6823) is Hong Kong's premier telecommunications service provider. It meets the needs of the Hong Kong public and local and international businesses with a wide range of services including local telephony, local data and broadband, international telecommunications, mobile, and other telecommunications businesses such as customer premises equipment sales, outsourcing, consulting, and contact centers.

Together with the highly successful media business of its parent company, PCCW Limited, HKT offers innovative media content and services across the PCCW Group's unique quadruple-play platforms – fixed-line, broadband Internet access, TV and mobile.

For further information, please contact:

Stella Wong
Group Communications
Tel: +852 2888 2253
Email: [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

Issued by HKT Limited.

http://www.pccw.com/About+PCCW/Media+Center/Press+Releases/Detail?guid=a6bec5a36437b410VgnVCM1000006a8ba8c0____&language=en_US&pop=Y

Meanwhile I still have 4mbit...

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Wow its not even 10gbps wtf, false advertising much? i could understand like 9800mbps or something but 8680mbps should not be aloud to be called 10gbps for that price imo.

Also this is pointless if they want to access anything out of hongkong but when the wrest of the world catches up it won't be.

Wow its not even 10gbps wtf, false advertising much? i could understand like 9800mbps or something but 8680mbps should not be aloud to be called 10gbps for that price imo.

Also this is pointless if they want to access anything out of hongkong but when the wrest of the world catches up it won't be.

that is a result from a test bench bro....

if the speed is still like that when PCCW launched their 10G service, I do believe they will be sued...

that is a result from a test bench bro....

if the speed is still like that when PCCW launched their 10G service, I do believe they will be sued...

is that not just a speedtest to an off site server? im a noob have never heard of the term internet test bench :S

Now they can access all of those government approved websites super fast!

It's really annoying to see places like the US and UK seriously falling behind countries that our governments seem to label as behind the times. 30Mb/s should be the bare minimum for internet connections in the "more advanced" western countries, seeing as the ISPs have the means to roll out fibre pretty quick, but they just don't want to. 

Now they can access all of those government approved websites super fast!

There is little to no internet censorship in Hong Kong. 

is that not just a speedtest to an off site server? im a noob have never heard of the term internet test bench :S

The term "test bench" is from their slides. I think it refers to the computers they use for testing the 10G broadband in their labs... And they provided no info on how they get that result....

I must move somewhere else (big city) because any talk about internet speeds kills me inside (16mbps)....

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Its a great feeling to get 50mbps download, 5mbps upload for 33$. Including phone and the price includes all the taxes. :D

4131843095.png

4131857055.png

What the hell? Faster internet while connecting to a server further away. OMG :P

4131860989.png
 Seriously, what? How? Why is it faster ?

4131865918.png

Oh thats more like it. Diffrent server fixed it.

(sorry for going off topic a little, I wanted to share how amazing I feel :D )

There is little to no internet censorship in Hong Kong. 

There is no internet censorship in Hong Kong, yet...

That's it im moving to hong kong! Anyone wanna join me ?

Let's agree to disagree

That's it im moving to hong kong! Anyone wanna join me ?

I don't know if you are sarcastic or not, but I think you should move to Korea instead of Hong Kong...

I don't know if they will do it or not, but I afraid the Chinese government may implement their great firewall in Hong Kong...

I don't know if you are sarcastic or not, but I think you should move to Korea instead of Hong Kong...

I don't know if they will do it or not, but I afraid the Chinese government may implement their great firewall in Hong Kong...

Wasnt that obvious :ph34r:

Let's agree to disagree

Wasnt that obvious :ph34r:

I hope and pray it won't happen....