OEM Windows 8.1 Key for Reinstall

Go to solution Solved by Speedbird,

I do not have an ISO. I was planing on downloading from MS servers, but the OEM key won't let me. It came with Win8.1 I believe.

I miss the old days when that was the case. I haven't even had the chance to boot into Win8 to make a recovery USB.

That won't be a problem. Someone has uploaded the Windows 8.1 stock 64-bit ISO to Google Drive. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5mkRoxIcTA2MWl2UkkzMlFYYjA/edit

If you can't download today, try again in a day. If your laptop had 8.1, it will pick up the product key automatically from the BIOS.

I have searched the forum and cannot find a solved thread for this question. Long story short I bought a brand new Dell Laptop for really cheap. The OS image that came fresh from Dell is probably corrupted. I know from experience that Win8 OEM keys don't work for fresh copies. I have yet to figure out how to get around this. Anybody figured this out?

I have searched the forum and cannot find a solved thread for this question. Long story short I bought a brand new Dell Laptop for really cheap. The OS image that came fresh from Dell is probably corrupted. I know from experience that Win8 OEM keys don't work for fresh copies. I have yet to figure out how to get around this. Anybody figured this out?

Do you have an ISO? Did the laptop come with 8 or 8.1?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Do you have an ISO? Did the laptop come with 8 or 8.1?

I do not have an ISO. I was planing on downloading from MS servers, but the OEM key won't let me. It came with Win8.1 I believe.

They should provide you with a disc with a copy of the OS on it. If not, RMA.

I miss the old days when that was the case. I haven't even had the chance to boot into Win8 to make a recovery USB.

Really?

I've setup like 5 computers in the past week and they've all come with something, even if it's just a key.

RMA it then. OS shouldn't be corrupt if it's brand new.

That won't be a problem. Someone has uploaded the Windows 8.1 stock 64-bit ISO to Google Drive. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5mkRoxIcTA2MWl2UkkzMlFYYjA/edit

If you can't download today, try again in a day. If your laptop had 8.1, it will pick up the product key automatically from the BIOS.

Awesome! I'm downloading it right now. In the meantime, will the OEM key work? In the past, it hasn't...

Awesome! I'm downloading it right now. In the meantime, will the OEM key work? In the past, it hasn't...

Yes, it will.

• 3 weeks later...

Dell finally got back to me and provided a restore USB. I have to say that it didn't have much bloatware on it to begin with, I'm kind of impressed. 20 minutes later the Laptop is back to its factory state.