Somebody help me out. The CPU can support 16 Gigs of RAM. Why is the laptop limited to 8? Seems like Dell could have put in a second DIMM slot and made it another selling point...

There are no slots for RAM in this one, rather, it's soldered directly to the board. Which means a 16GB version would either have to be BTO (built-to-order), which is only feasible if Dell actually controls the manufacturing of the XPS 13 and can deliver BTOs in a couple of days, not so much if they run batches of SKUs on lines or with ODMs that are otherwise occupied, or add to the number of SKUs needing to be produced, stocked, tracked, supported etc.

Basically, it could be anywhere from trivial to impossible to implement.

There are no slots for RAM in this one, rather, it's soldered directly to the board. Which means a 16GB version would either have to be BTO (built-to-order), which is only feasible if Dell actually controls the manufacturing of the XPS 13 and can deliver BTOs in a couple of days, not so much if they run batches of SKUs on lines or with ODMs that are otherwise occupied, or add to the number of SKUs needing to be produced, stocked, tracked, supported etc.

Basically, it could be anywhere from trivial to impossible to implement.

Oh...thanks for the info. In that case it does seem stupid. I've never had an ultrabook or the like.

thanks nick

aww shucks i live in aus and cant order roses 

ALSO IS IT WATER RESISTANT     

WE NEED TO KNOW @LinusTech

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

The need for more or less than 8 GB for your borwsing Habbits are depends on the browser you choose.

It's a known problem, that Chrome uses unncecessary much RAM and even CPU ressources.

If you just use Firefox though, you will be more than find with less than 8 GB.

Dell monitors = yes.  Other stuff from Dell = no.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Ordered my XPS 13 - got 16% discount from using a coupon here in Australia. Got the QHD + Touch screen for $1750. Cheering as I will be using this for Uni :)

Nice. I think I will use the 16% for the mid range config. I plan on using it for Uni as well. 

This is only a test

• 2 weeks later...

Do all models of the XPS 13 have gorilla glass or is it just the QHD+?

How does the Dell xps 13 when watching youtube 1080p? I have the QHD model and I feel like my one is thermal throttling of some sort. Cant even watch youtube without it stuttering whilst on facebook / reddit or daily browsing.

Dell monitors = yes.  Other stuff from Dell = no.

Idk, I had Dells, Have tried Toshiba, HP, ASUS (keep in mind these are consumer grade laptops) and none had the quality that I have got in a Dell. Just recently went back and have been happy ever since.

linus left it in the rain again

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

• 6 months later...

How does the Dell xps 13 when watching youtube 1080p? I have the QHD model and I feel like my one is thermal throttling of some sort. Cant even watch youtube without it stuttering whilst on facebook / reddit or daily browsing.

What speeds do you have on your internet?

Had this laptop as my work machine for the last 6 months.  the screen is good, very good in fact.  But keep in mind that the resolution is problematic for lots of programs.  also the WIFI drivers for linux are really bad...  The laptop can also get really hot, but apart from that it's a really good machine.

work rig

cpu: AMD 5800X mb: Pro WS X570-ACE cooling: NH-D15 ram: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz ssd: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB, 860 Evo 512GB   hdd: 4TB Seagate, 320GB gpu: Asus RTX-1060 6GB psu: Corsair RM750x display: Philips 32" 4K case: Fractal Design Define R6 Black

home lab and NAS

cpu: Xeon E5-2697 v2 (12c/24t) mb: Rampage 4 Black Edition cooling: Hyper 212 EVO ram: 64GB Corsair 1866mhz ssd: 2x Intel DC S4610 (480GB), 2x Intel DC P3605 (1.6 TB)  hdd: 4x Seagate IronWolf 4TB CMR, Seagate Exos 7E8 8TB, WD VelociRaptor 10K 450GB  gpu: Asus GTX-660 psu: Corsair HX850i case: Corsair 750D