February 6, 2015 - The WAN Show Document

Soundcloud link: https://soundcloud.com/thewanshow/the-wan-show-time-warner-cable-97-profit-on-internet-also-other-things-feb-6-2015

News

LG G4 To Feature A 3K Display

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Qwertywarrior

Source 2: nextpowerup.com

• leaked specs for G4 show a 1620x2880 display under note “screen size”

• display size is currently unknown, but rumors point to 5.3-inch display

• ~626 pixels-per-inch, compared to the 5.1-inch Galaxy S5 which has 576 PPI

• announcement should take place in Q2 2015

• G3 had a 5.5-inch display in quadHD(2560x1440) 538 PPI

Microsoft now pays AdBlock Plus to not have its ads blocked

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Goodbytes

Source 2: winbeta.org

• joins Google, Taboola, and Amazon - other companies that have paid to be removed from the default ABP blacklist

• non-disruptive ads are automatically added to the whitelist for smaller sites

• getting added to the whitelist is costly for large companies

• remember AdBlock Plus is not the same as others

Time Warner Cable's 97 Percent Profit Margin on High-Speed Internet Service Exposed

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Victorious Secret

Source 2: huffingtonpost.com

• based on 2013 records

• proof of what was already very apparent - that ISPs overcharge, nickel and dime customers

• average revenue from high speed data in 2013 was 43.92 per customer, while the average cost to TWC was $1.32

• mark up prices with a bunch of fees including modem rental and “franchise fees”

• some customers have reported fee increases of over 100% in a matter of two years

New consumer Intel 750 NVMe SSD pops up in UNH-IOL compatibility list - Storage Solution

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Its Me

Source 2: tweaktown.com

• code-named August Ridge

• popped up on the roadmap as a release for Q4 2014

• that time has passed, but we can still expect it… soon-ish? no official news

• 750 series SSDs

• available in both 2.5” and M.2

• capacities of 180, 240, 360, 480, and 600GB

• will feature NVMe 1.1b interface

• NVMe will provide a low-latency interconnect that will allow Intel to break the SATA performance barrier

• appears that Intel is close to being the first SSD manufacturer with a consumer NVMe SSD

Sony has sold SoE

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Kingcry

Source 2: forums.station.sony.com

Source 3: shacknews.com

Source 4: gameblogs.net

• studio behind games like Planetside 2 and H1Z1, and the upcoming EverQuest Next

• acquired by Columbus Nova, a New York-based investment management firm

• new name is Daybreak Game Company

• John Smedley, President of Daybreak Game Company said they want to “fully embrace the multi-platform world in which we all live”

• rumor has it they’re looking to bring H1Z1 to consoles

• mobile was also mentioned as a future route for Daybreak Game Company

Apple converting its Sapphire plant into a datacenter. $2 billion investment

Source 2: theverge.com

• plant was initially built for GT Advanced Technologies to produce sapphire glass for iPhone 6 & 6 Plus

• mismanagement by both Apple and GTAT left GTAT unable to mass produce sapphire glass

• GTAT filed for bankruptcy, Apple is repurposing the factory it purchased for GTAT

• 1.3 million-square-foot building, will be powered entirely by renewable energy

• expected to create 150 full-time jobs and 300-500 construction and trade jobs

• sapphire production plant would have created 2000 jobs

• this is one of the largest investments Apple has ever made

Ubisoft Reinstating Fraudulent Far Cry 4 and Assassin's Creed Unity Keys For Customers Already Playing

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Rohith Kumar Sp

Source 2: vg247.com

Source 3: linustechtips.com

• some codes purchased through G2A and other online game retailers

• fake/stolen credit cards were used to originally purchase some of the codes sold on these sites

• Ubisoft decided that their best course of action was to deactivate all keys purchased through third party resellers

• one gamer compared it to “purchasing a hammer from Wal Mart and then having the makers of the hammer sneak into your house at night and steal it back.”

• Ubisoft has now reinstated all codes that had already been successfully activated and played on a consumer’s account

• they have stated that they will continue to deactivate fraudulently purchased keys in the future, though it seems that they will take more care in their future investigations

Consoles may get 4K Hardware upgrade Q4 2015 [RUMOR FROM NETFLIX]

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Craider

Source 2: forbes.com

• Chief Product Officer of Netflix, Neil Hunt, stated at CES that Sony had “promised” a PS4 hardware revision that would give the console 4K video capabilities

• since then they have stated that they aren’t in a position to speak definitively on Sony’s plans

• timing makes sense as it lines up with their usual 2 year hardware revision

• Netflix believes that this will bring the necessary components to deliver 4K video playback (note: in case it was unclear, this is NOT for 4K gaming)

• Sony and Microsoft both declined to comment when contacted by Forbes

• speculated that this would also bring an upgrade to HDMI 2.0, though that is not confirmed by any reputable source

3-Month later, Android 5.0 (Lollipop), has only 1.6% market share

Source 2: neowin.net

Source 3: linustechtips.com

• only 1.6% of Android devices are operating on Lollipop

• actually a big jump from last month, when only 0.1% of devices were operating on Lollipop

• Jelly Bean is still the leader with 44.5% between 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3

• 39.7% of users are still operating on KitKat

• number of KitKat devices grew by 0.6% over the last month, which is a big slowdown from the previous month’s growth (5.2%)

Dual GPU cards may finally be able to combine their VRAM.

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Assassin

Source 2: wccftech.com

Source 3: twitter.com

• memory does not stack because a complete copy of a game has to be run in each GPU

• frames are alternated between the cards

• Mantle will allow developers to surpass old soft architecture limitations and enable buffer stacking

• it is likely that future low overhead APIs will follow in Mantle’s footsteps in this sense

• "just because you are running Windows 10 and DX12 and/or Mantle API does not mean that your multiple GPU configuration is now stacking memory. The capability is present in these low overhead APIs but they will not come into affect until devs specifically optimize the game as such."

• luke note: Profiles for multi GPU are already often delayed till after launch...

Razer updates the Blade with Maxwell and more RAM

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Alexgoeshigh

Source 2: anandtech.com

• minor updates to the GPU and more RAM

• 870M is upgraded to the 970M

• 16GB of RAM is now an option

• upgrading CPU from an i7-4702HQ to an i7-4720HQ (higher clock speed, 47W TDP compared to 37 on the 4702)

• the more efficient 970M allows for a higher TDP CPU

• also a new lower-end version, 1080P IPS display, non touch, with 256GB SSD for $1999

• aside from that it’s the same

FCC will declare the internet Title II & apply net neutrality to mobile

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Smittyshmee

Source 2: theverge.com

Source 3: wired.com

• Tom Wheeler, Chairman of FCC, gave a statement to Wired RE: net neutrality and Title II

• “This week, I will circulate to the members of the FCC proposed new rules to preserve the internet as an open platform for innovation and free expression.”

• tells the story of NABU: The Home Computer Network (a competitor to AOL), a startup that he was the President of that failed because networks acted as gatekeepers

• “Using this authority (title II), I am submitting to my colleagues the strongest open internet protections ever proposed by the FCC. These enforceable, bright-line rules will ban paid prioritization, and the blocking and throttling of lawful content and services. I propose to fully apply - for the first time ever - those bright-line rules to mobile broadband. My proposal assures the rights of Internet users to go where they want, when they want, and the rights of innovators to introduce new products without asking anyone’s permission.”

• also wants to modernize Title II, tailoring it for the 21st century, in order to provide returns necessary to construct competitive networks

• no rate regulation, no tarrifs, no last-mile unbundling

• under the modified Title II, there will be a general conduct rule that can be used to stop new and novel threats to the internet

• “This means the action we take will be strong enough and flexible enough not only to deal with the realities of today, but also to establish ground rules for the as yet unimagined.”

• “The Internet must be fast, far, and open. That is the message I’ve heard from consumers and innovators across this nation. That is the principle that has enabled the Internet to become an unprecedented platform for innovation and human expression. And that is the lesson I learned heading a tech startup at the dawn of the Internet age. The proposal I present to the commission will ensure the Internet remains open, now and in the future, for all Americans.”

• details of the updated Title II have not been released yet, but it is likely that the proposal will be leaked soon

China Will Require Real Name Registration for the Interwebs

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Powderbanks

Source 2: variety.com

• beginning March 1

• putting the burden on ISPs and Internet companies to enforce the rules

• 650 million Internet users

• new rule is intended to halt the spread of rumors and the use of social media accounts masquerading as public figures

• The Great Firewall of China stepped up measures to prevent VPN use last week, limiting their access to global news and global social media

Samsung Galaxy S6 chassis leaked ? (all metal ,but non-removable back, very simiIlar to the Phone 6)

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Nineshadow

Source 2: phonearena.com

Source 3: phonearena.com

Source 4: phonearena.com

Source 5: phonearena.com

• said to have a sealed, unibody metal casing

• use of glass material on the front and back

• “one executive at a parts supplier” said “The Galaxy S6 will make its debut in two versions - flat and rounded screens. It will have a meta build, which will make it look even more like Apple’s latest models.”

• Samsung Pay said to be embedded in the new phone

• might be based on magnetic emitting that mimics your credit card, not NFC

• potentially accepted in 10 million points of sale without retooling existing machines

• Apple Pay is only available in about 200,000 spots

• allegedly based on Loop Pay

• Galaxy S6 was intended only as a dual-edged screen, but Samsung is including a flat screen model as swell due to insufficient yields of curved glass panels

• 5.1” display, Samsung Exynos chipset, same size battery as previous generation (more focus on safely storing the flammable liquids) but non-replaceable, not upgradable

• set to be unveiled a day before the MWC expo starts, March 1

Nintendo creators program forces youtubers to delete videos of competitors games if the want all benefits of the program

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Alexgoeshigh

Source 2: recode.net

Link 1: r.ncp.nintendo.net/whitelist/

• Recap: The Nintendo Creators Program, which launched last week, lets video creators split the 60 percent of ad revenue left to them by YouTube with Nintendo.

• Nintendo is telling YouTubers that if they want to get paid, they may have to delete some videos from their channels completely.

• Video makers won’t be accepted to the program at the higher revenue-share rate — 70 percent — if their channels have any videos of any games not explicitly permitted by a Nintendo whitelist.

• Felix “PewDiePie” Kjellberg wrote on Tumblr last week, he and his personal brand of silliness are more popular than the titles he highlights. “If I played a Nintendo game on my channel, most likely most of the views and ad revenue would come from the fact that my viewers are subscribed to me,” Kjellberg wrote. “Not necessarily because they want to watch a Nintendo game in particular.”

I managed to sleep again..... but without remembering this time 

@LinusTech where did the twitch archive of this one go? 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

@LinusTech Thanks, Linus! Question - when about will you start uploading videos with the new intro? Just wondering. Thanks again.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

NIce, totally forgot todays wan show, PS: am i the only one who can't see the video via YTB as for now? or is it still uploading?

Details separate people.

NIce, totally forgot todays wan show, PS: am i the only one who can't see the video via YTB as for now?

It's still being processed by YouTube.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

I remembered on before like on Thursday evening but, i forgot to set the alarm that. I woke up to the twitch. But i am happy that i can watch it from the tube. When ever is it there.

Failure is not an option!

waiting rather impationtly for the wan show archive to be live :) .....

Family is Everything ....But a fast pc with an SSD is NIce

Arguing against Nvidia is not 'playing the devil's advocate', Linus.

It's playing the consumer's advocate.

There's a small, but notable difference.

Also, Nintendo makes me laugh. I don't think they understand their situation here.

Cmon youtube! I wanna watch the wan show lol

»»» Frankz' X99 System «««                                                                                         

CPU: 5820k 4.6Ghz 1.31v, Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws4 16GB DDR4@3000Mhz, GPU: ASUS GTX780 DirectCUII

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, HDD: WD Blue 1TB, PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2, Cooler: Corsair H105, Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D        

Did they not archive the WAN show, just went to Twitch and only the afterparty is there 

The last 2 WAN show streams are gone from twitch history.... why?
Deleted by choice or twitch causing that?!?

Only afterparty remains

The last 2 WAN show streams are gone from twitch history.... why?

Deleted by choice or twitch causing that?!?

Only afterparty remains

Last weeks shows is there it's just titled "Afterparty" (1:30:24) just last nights seems to be missing 

Something weird going on here, post's from this thread have just been removed 

It starts at 2:30 AM in Romania.. I tried, but I failed to watch it live... :(

Hopefully it'll be up soon! :D

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Last weeks shows is there it's just titled "Afterparty" (1:30:24) just last nights seems to be missing 

Something weird going on here, post's from this thread have just been removed 

that's because linus slipped and showed his amazon referral page, which showed how much money he made last month. someone took a screenshot and posted it here.

as for the archive not being on twitch, it makes sense. linus wouldn't want to lose potential viewers, so instead of having the archive saved on twitch, which he would get no money from, he's making everyone wait so they can watch it on the youtube channel.

at least, i assume. it makes sense, though.

that's because linus slipped and showed his amazon referral page, which showed how much money he made last month. someone took a screenshot and posted it here.

That explains it, guess they are doing a bit of editing before it goes on YouTube 

as for the archive not being on twitch, it makes sense. linus wouldn't want to lose potential viewers, so instead of having the archive saved on twitch, which he would get no money from, he's making everyone wait so they can watch it on the youtube channel.

at least, i assume. it makes sense, though.

I don't think so, that would be a first, i work nights and have always come home (6am) and watched the archive on Twitch

That explains it, guess they are doing a bit of editing before it goes on YouTube 

I don't think so, that would be a first, i work nights and have always come home (6am) and watched the archive on Twitch

but were you able to this time?

no.

there's always a first. i don't think Linus would start making mistakes like this after doing it for so long.

but were you able to this time?

no.

there's always a first. i don't think Linus would start making mistakes like this after doing it for so long.

Yes, happened to watch live this time as i was home 

What!? it is quite obvious there was no mistake and that it was taken down by LTT to edit out the Amazon blunder

Its been over 3hrs since this thread is up...

I wana watch  :unsure:

Yeah I wish it was up too... It's late. 

Still processing.

*wonders why the Twitch archive isn't there* :/

Nvm, should've backread a bit... :P

Click here to claim your free Linus plushie.

Yeah I wish it was up too... It's late. 

Still processing.

*sad face*

The WAN show starts at 1 PM in Portugal so i passed out halfway thought it.

Not saying you were boring Linus i was just sleepy , plz no ban.