Making a bootable Windows USB stick with Rufus

Aniallation

I've noticed that plenty of people have been saying that the Windows "7" USB/DVD Download Tool hasn't been working for them, spitting an invalid ISO error when using official Windows 8.x or Windows 10 Technical Preview ISOs, or copies of Windows 7/8 obtained from.... "third parties". Or going through the process fine but booting from the USB doesn't work.

Well, the solution to most of these problems is to try using an awesome piece of software called Rufus. Same concept as the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool, but uses it's own method of creating a bootable drive that in my experience has had a much higher success rate (in fact, 100% in my usage). 

*** This guide is NOT guaranteed to work if you have a computer with native UEFI boot or Secure Boot. This means many OEM desktops and laptops that come preinstalled with Windows 8.x ****

First off, download Rufus from the official site here: https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Secondly, make sure you have the Windows ISO. I've tried Rufus with the following ISOs and they've all worked perfectly:

-Windows XP

-Windows Vista

-Windows 7 

-Windows 8

-Windows 8.1 

-Windows 10 Technical Preview

Thirdly of course, you'll need your USB stick. A 2GB or larger stick will be needed for XP, 4GB or larger for Vista and 7, 8GB and larger for Windows 8.x and 10

Now, let's get started.

1. Select ISO

Rufus is a portable program. It does not need to be installed, so just launch it, and plug in your USB stick.

If you only have one storage device plugged into your computer aside from the hard drive, Rufus will select it automatically. However it's still a good idea to look at the top and make sure the drive selected is correct, the easiest way to tell is by capacity. My USB stick is 32GB, so the entry in this case is correct.

Select your ISO by clicking the small button with a picture of a CD, then browsing to the file and double clicking it

t3Okao9.png

xQveZVb.png

2. Make USB

Click the "Start" button to make your USB. It's always recommended to have Rufus format your USB to NTFS for you, and it's enabled by default, so like the warning says, YOUR DRIVE WILL BE FORMATTED AND ALL THE DATA ON IT WILL BE DELETED. If it's a blank drive or you've saved what you need off of the drive, click OK and the process will begin.

uLK2D29.png

After the USB is done, you CAN still use it to put files on!!! More info at the bottom

3. Boot from USB

Once the drive is done, remove it from the PC, and insert it into the PC that you want to install Windows on. Make sure it's off, then power it on.

You'll need to look for an indication to get to a "boot menu" or startup options. 

On this Gigabyte motherboard for example, it's displayed at the bottom when the splash screen is displayed, so keep repeatedly pressing the F12 key until the boot menu appears. For Asus this is often the F8 key instead.

gSuND.jpg

On my laptop, when booting in the corner it says press ESC to get to startup options, so I keep pressing ESC until the startup menu appears.

otbHtbU.jpg

Then press F9 to get into the boot menu.

iBPwLoC.jpg

Once in the boot menu, simply use the arrow keys to select your USB drive, and then press Enter.

kZdgk9g.jpg

A prompt will come up saying "Press any key to boot from USB", press any key.

hCsCYwx.jpg

Wait a bit for everything to load into RAM, and you'll be at the Windows installation screen!

J6iDjxq.jpg

FAQ: Can I put other files, such as drivers, on the USB after Rufus does it's thing?

Answer: Yes!

The drive can still be used normally after Windows installation files are copied over, HOWEVER make sure that you do NOT move or delete any of the files created by Rufus, as they are needed to install Windows properly.

If you want to put drivers, your music, your sex tapes, or whatever on your USB alongside Windows, I would make a single new folder in the root of the USB, and then put everything you need in that folder, so you're not accidentally touching the Windows install files.

5xE5BWY.png

xJRuo99.png

*** of course, once you are done installing Windows, you may delete the files, and/or format the drive back to FAT32/exFAT if it wasn't NTFS before***

"Rawr XD"

I just use WinRAR to extract the ISO files to the USB drive and it always works. I can have it as NTFS or FAT32, it doesn't make a difference.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I just use WinRAR to extract the ISO files to the USB drive and it always works. I can have it as NTFS or FAT32, it doesn't make a difference.

That used to work for me as well until my HP laptop, which no longer accepts doing it that way. My friend's Asus laptop doesn't either. 

"Rawr XD"

This needs to be stickied and renamed to "How to install Windows with an ISO."

This needs to be stickied and renamed to "How to install Windows with an ISO."

well you can do it with a cd (don't kill me people)

this is much, much easier to do with command prompt. You know DISKPART works for this right? It's a windows function. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

That used to work for me as well until my HP laptop, which no longer accepts doing it that way. My friend's Asus laptop doesn't either.

This method does work and is the easiest way to get a bootable USB drive.

As for the whole format question, its really simple. If you have a legacy BIOS then you will need a drive formatted in either NTFS or FAT32, if you have a UEFI then your drive must be formatted to FAT32 otherwise it won't work.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Video on how to convert a windows installer usb boot drive to a native uefi boot drive

Had to use this when I setup my xp941

1:22 and easier to watch than to explain it. the guy does a good job

Or not format the drive and just copy the windows 10 files unziped and run the following as admin.

E:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 E: /force

E:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 E: /force /mbr

Quality tutorial, common knowledge but I respect the effort and think it should be stickied. 

^^^This^^^ I don't know why people keep using tools to create there USB drives when you can extract it lol. Maybe it is some UEFI thing that needs to saved into the usb, but extracting always works for me.

^^^This^^^ I don't know why people keep using tools to create there USB drives when you can extract it lol. Maybe it is some UEFI thing that needs to saved into the usb, but extracting always works for me.

You don't even need to do that. You can mount an ISO in windows without any extra tools. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

You don't even need to do that. You can mount an ISO in windows without any extra tools. 

Yeah, with windows 8+ but with 7 or lower you need virtual clone drive.

Yeah, with windows 8+ but with 7 or lower you need virtual clone drive.

worth a mention, don't use daemon tools anymore. Last time I checked it included malware. Search conduit and shit like that. A lot of people were pretty shocked at their decision to do that. 

muh specs 

All parts black

worth a mention, don't use daemon tools anymore. Last time I checked it included malware. Search conduit and shit like that. A lot of people were pretty shocked at their decision to do that. 

Have no idea what you are talking about. I have used VCD for years and never had a single problem.

Edit: Just realized you meant daemon tools the program. Yes, that software is crap, I don't know why anyone uses it.

Edit again: Just completely opened your sig in like 20 seconds using tab+enter :P

so what's a good alternative aside from Daemon? and no not using CD/DVD

Have no idea what you are talking about. I have used VCD for years and never had a single problem.

Edit: Just realized you meant daemon tools the program. Yes, that software is crap, I don't know why anyone uses it.

Edit again: Just completely opened your sig in like 20 seconds using tab+enter :P

ssssssssssssssssshhhhh

and if you are on firefox, you didn't see it all.

And it was quite nice, the lite version at least, back when windows had no mounting tool. 

muh specs 

All parts black

so what's a good alternative aside from Daemon? and no not using CD/DVD

the built in windows tool.

If not, I see this suggested a lot 

http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/

or you could find a really old version of daemon tools lite on oldversion.com or somehting, but note the old versions are not windows 8 compatible. 

muh specs 

All parts black

the built in windows tool.

If not, I see this suggested a lot 

http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/

or you could find a really old version of daemon tools lite on oldversion.com or somehting, but note the old versions are not windows 8 compatible. 

so does this compatible with windows 8?

what about magicISO, do people still use them?

so does this compatible with windows 8?

what about magicISO, do people still use them?

I don't really know since I've used the windows mount tool myself. 

muh specs 

All parts black

@Syntaxvgm ok then, where can i find this windows mount tool in windows 7 or 8.1?, a specific name should do great so i can find it

right click on an iso and click mount.

muh specs 

All parts black

that's it? like really? i never knew that O.o

I have to admit I missed it's existence for a while. It's native to 8 I believe but I THINK it was added to 7 via an update. 

muh specs 

All parts black

• 2 weeks later...