[Build Log] Project Re-Define - Rigid Tubing | Hackintosh | Watercooled Define R5 (Finished)

Happened to me as well, probably from the rads.

Also really like your build! But I think you should do the front rad or that part of the case right in front of it in carbon fiber too, to balance it out. Nice runs and cool coolant colour too!

It might be the rads, but I rinsed them a few times with distilled water before using it....but who knows if I actually got them to be that clean

Anyways I will take your tip for putting carbon fiber in the front of the case....but I am not sure where I should. I might put it on the D5 Pump housing and the reservoir lid. 

The tube runs might be changed again since there are a few spots where I don't like as much. 

But anywho Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Project%20Re-Define%20Update_zps0g4wloh8

Well...it has been awhile since I actually updated you people about this project...

Well so far the Mark III Prototype has been running well for the past 5 months but I have noticed a few things I need to change/fix

Firstly...re-bending some tubing is a must since four out of five tubing runs are kind of bothering me since they aren't perfect...so that will be coming soon...hopefully

Secondly...My SSDs are kind of a mess at the moment..both in terms what is stored within it and the way they are mounted....which it isn't.

I lost the Windows Bootloader on my Windows 8.1 drive for some odd reason I don't recall and my Hackintosh drive somehow contains the Grub Bootloader when I was messing around with Linux at some point. Nevertheless I am planning to get the Hyper X Predator PCI-E SSD so a fresh install of Windows 10 is most likely going to go on it while I find a spot for the other SSD to be mounted and hopefully get rid of GRUB...

Thirdly...Cables....there is too many in the back on how I configured my devices...So moving the SSD elsewhere would allow me to have more room to manage my cables routing while at the same time hopefully minimize the amount of cables I have back there... 

Well I hope to see you people soon...

So after some research and ordering a few things, I have decided to change how my pump and reservoir was mounted.

At the moment, the thing is mounted to the fan grill/mesh thing on the bottom of the case and only three out of the four holes were mounted due to clearance issues....

So I decided to use the default pump stand that came with the BitsPower pump top with an adapter that allowed pumps to be mounted to a 140/120mm fan....

20150905235652_IMG_5378_zpsjagxf19g.jpg

But the problem is that....NONE of the holes matches up....so drilling is my only solution....

20150906000049_IMG_5379_zpsx0zrczdc.jpg

20150906000148_IMG_5380_zpsngvce5jy.jpg

But even then there was a problem because the stand was made out of some strong metal and didn't want to be penetrated....

After awhile I was able to get all four holes drilled....except one was off by a few MM....god dammit

But fortunately....or unfortunately depending on how you see it, the other three holes lined up perfectly and now the pump stand is VERY securely mounted even if it is lacking the fourth screw.

20150906011952_IMG_5387_zpsnfnfkshq.jpg

There will be more in the coming days..

After six hours of work I have drained and cleaned the loop alongside re-organizing my cables and implemented my new pump mount.

At this point, I can't feel my fingers anymore...

Stay tune, this is day one of two...

(Sorry for potato lighting and or camera quality)

20150906231806_IMG_5407_zpsb12wwhi2.jpg

Well another three hours, a trip to Pathmark for distilled water, and essentially burning my nerves in my fingertips, the system is finally filled with tubing...albeit one of the tubing run I am not too happy about and if anyone is curious it's the one in the upper left-hand corner that goes from the 360-radiator to the CPU water block...

But after several attempt, I gave up making the perfect bend and use one of the better "imperfect" one

20150907231552_IMG_5412_zpstl6jxto8.jpg

And now the system is filled with new fluid....same color as previous but just fresh "clean" fluid..and so far no leaking has happened.

20150908001609_IMG_5421_zpskyyhx9pd.jpg

Also if anyone noticed....its is bloody hard to actually fill the reservoir since there is no clearance for the fill ports up top due to the tube running across them....so I made this ghetto-ass thing to fill it

20150908001738_IMG_5425_zpse971sdg6.jpg

You know those moments when you feel so accomplish after finishing anything that is long and tedious and then everything falls apart in front of you?

Well that happened, my Windows system files got corrupted (or I assumed it did) and this isn't the first time it has happened as I described it here in a previous thread I had made, but this time it wasn't recoverable...

I was aware it was only a matter of time before the my Windows OS falls to shit...but I didn't expect it so soon...nevertheless this gives me a good opportunity to do a fresh install of windows before it is cloned onto my new SSD...whenever I plan on buying it..

But getting  Windows 8.1 Pro ISO was a pain...since my Windows 10 laptop didn't allowed me to download it directly from my Microsoft account that I had a purchased digital key....

So I had to use another Microsoft tool "Media Creation Tool" that downloaded Windows 8 ISO which...the ETA displayed somewhere between 5-10 hours so I left it on overnight to download..kinda wished I took a screenshot of that ridiculous ETA..

Earlier this week, I decided to update my OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 to 10.10.5...and I couldn't get it to boot up afterwards which caused me to tinker around with several boot flags to see what is causing Yosemite not to boot properly. I already knew that my graphics card was the problem but no matter what combination of boot flag I tried using it didn't work. Until my friend told me this one simple boot flag that slipped my mind when troubleshooting, which was: nv_disable=1 . I feel so stupid afterwards, but it worked and I installed the newest graphics driver for Yosemite

If anyone is curious, there is a photo below showing the what the boot-up of Yosemite got stuck on in verbose mode.

2015-09-13%2006.30.26_zpsb9v6wzlj.jpg

But anyways, after several days I have finished installing all of my software on MS X Pro after the horrible things that had happened previously and my OS X Yosemite is finished...well technically it has been finished for awhile, I was just too lazy to show it.

MS X Pro Screenshot

M8mF4zC.jpg

OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 Screenshot

SEpUVSw.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So I decided to buy the ThunderBoltEX II to see if I can hook up my Crossover 27QW DP with a thunderbolt to DisplayPort cable since that monitor causes my system to freeze during boot up when it uses a DisplayPort directly from my GPU. Its a weird issue but I have been using a DVI cable to get by for awhile.

2015-10-14%2014.01.35_zps8zemm1rx.jpg

But as some of you may or may not know, the ThunderBoltEX II states it is ONLY compatible with some z87 and z97 board and it peek my curiosity whenever or not this will work with my z77 board. Now since my motherboard already has a ThunderBolt Header on it, it obviously was launched in mind of having a thunderbolt card add-on...which the first generation never came to the market due to lack of certification from Intel.

But this card has the identical header as my motherboard so I tossed it in, plugged in the cable from the card to the motherboard...and the BIOS picked up the card immediately giving me a new section of the BIOS I have never seen before but it comes with a cost of losing all the AsMedia add-on ports such as one of my USB 3.0 headers and 2 sata 3 ports  which now causes me to re-route some cables. My Mac OS X side of the machine found the thunderbolt ports and on Windows 10 side's of thing, after installing the driver, it shows support for the thunderbolt card. 

Unfortunately I couldn't any of my monitors to work with the thunderbolt ports...but that doesn't mean the card doesn't work. I plan on getting a few thunderbolt storage devices purely for testing purposes and return it shortly afterwards. 

Sidenote: I originally thought I brought the ThunderboltEX II card with a single thunderbolt port...but what showed up is the dual port one...so I got lucky maybe?

After running out to my local best buy and buying a 1TB LaCie Rugged USB 3.0 & Thunderbolt External HDD and plugging it into the thunderbolt port...nothing happened. 

So I'll take the assumption that the card is defective and so after going to Amazon and attempting to get a replacement unit, they only gave me the option for refund, so I am sending this back for a refund.

But since I really want to get Thunderbolt running, I've decided to take another crack at it, went on eBay and bought another one, this time a single thunderbolt port.

• 3 weeks later...

So it has been awhile...

But the general sum up of the ThunderBoltEX II Card was that it didn't work. Although I manage to get the thunderbolt drive to light up at some point via thunderbolt port, indicating there was power being sent to it, it was never detected. Image in the spoilers.

IMG_5472_zpsedkarecf.jpg

But what I did eventually pick up was this PCI-E SSD from Kingston/Hyper-X. 

IMG_5475_zpszpssclta.jpg

And it's up and running with a fresh install of Windows 10 with GPT after a firmware update to the card itself.

IMG_5478_zpsqi5itsto.jpg

IMG_5487_zpshnrgkddh.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One hell of a job, another fantastic build from a fellow R5 owner. Such a clean system.

We should surely have an R5 club here?

:)