Intel To Launch 10nm Cannonlake in 2017.

GRJohn

Intel's Genral Manager of the Middle East and North Africa regions has stated that the company expects to introduce the first 10nm chips in 2017. Two years later than the original company roadmap.

2012-05-14-image-2.jpg

We have been consistently pursuing Moore’s Law and this has been the core of our innovation for the last 40 years. The 10nm chips are expected to be launched early 2017.
Said Taha Khalifa, general manager for Intel in the Middle East and North Africa region.

The first 10nm processors will be based on Intel's Cannonlake microarchitecture. Which is a die shrink of Skylake but with better graphics and improved interconnect capabilities.

Complete article / Source

CPU : i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz. GPU : MSI Lightning GTX 770 @ 1300mhz. 16GB 1600mhz RAM

I'm not sure what or how I feel about this. Other than.. "Hm."

I think they have that technology already. 

They are squeezing money from everything they can before next manufacturing process.

Does that mean AMD may have 10nm chips before intel? Rumour has it they'll have them by 2016

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Does that mean AMD may have 10nm chips before intel? Rumour has it they'll have them by 2016

That would be great tbh , added competition on the cpu front is always a good thing.

I remember when i recommended amd cpus for builds back in the Phenom days.

Good times.

Not too shocking, as the fab gets smaller and smaller we are going to see more delays and more bad batches.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

God I hope so.

I mean, I know shrinks will come with performance gains, but I hope AMD has actual high-performance cores in the makes for this day and age, lol.

They are squeezing money from everything they can before next manufacturing process.

No they don't. They're building a new fab plant in Israel, and construction just started. Not to mention they'd like ASML to get extreme ultra violet tech ready if possible because the only other path adds a lot of time to the manufacturing process and a lot of cost to each transistor(will be passed down to consumers). This other technique is multi-level patterning.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Won't happen. The entire industry apart from Intel is still on 20nm ish, despite marketing names of the processes as 14/16nm. AMD may get a nose called 10nm, but that will just be true 14nm with 2nd Gen. FinFET.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

No doubt Intel has 10nm chips basically working. However, they likely have yields in the 1 in 1000 range for a celeron class chip, so no way is it anyway near ready for launch

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Fake! No really everyone is struggle with 14/16nm FinFets which have yet to see the daylight in mass production,and that guy announces 10nm mass production in less than 2 years? what?I dont think we get 10nm even if its intel earlier than mid 2018 - early 2019.We gonna be stuck with 14-16nm products for a while imo.

10nm is said to be the last possible die shrink...

so im interested in everything <10nm xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

10nm is said to be the last possible die shrink...

so im interested in everything <10nm xD

Everything seems impossible until its done ;) under 10mm might be undoable with the making process they use now. Surely they will figure it out later on.

I hope they don't sink with all these lakes....

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

nope, thats 14nm

Fake! No really everyone is struggle with 14/16nm FinFets which have yet to see the daylight in mass production,and that guy announces 10nm mass production in less than 2 years? what?I dont think we get 10nm even if its intel earlier than mid 2018 - early 2019.We gonna be stuck with 14-16nm products for a while imo.

Intel is mass-producing 14nm right now. The U-series is shipping and laptops are moving out. Unlocked Broadwell desktop (and I suspect the M & H-series mobile quad-cores) arrives in Q2, and locked Skylake desktop arrives in Q3 unlocked Skylake is pure speculation btw for those who will go back to that article).

This still means they will release new CPU eveyr year, right?

Probably.

I kinda doubt it atm. AMD has been at least a generation behind Intel for a while, not to mention Intel has more money to pour into designing new chips. 

yes they do have it, but they dont have the means to produce it effectively. thats why its not here yet. 

I guess I'm waiting for Cannonlake then! :) I hope my Inspirion 1545 can hold out...

I kinda doubt it atm. AMD has been at least a generation behind Intel for a while, not to mention Intel has more money to pour into designing new chips. 

That's true, but AMD hasn't been researching any new architectures for 3 years now, which would allow them to invest everything in their next big release.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

That's true, but AMD hasn't been researching any new architectures for 3 years now, which would allow them to invest everything in their next big release.

Doesn't matter how much you invest if you can't find anyone to make the nodes for you. Plus Intel probably invests more in a quarter than AMD did in those three years. It's been their problem for a while now... Intel is ahead and has such a massive budget it's hard to catch up.

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

It's not possible for them to get ahead of Intel. Intel invests in their own fabs while AMD relies on Samsung or global foundries to build their chips. Right now Intel is selling 14nm chips while the other guys are still trying to get it to work.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

The difficulty in transistor shrinkage is to maintain no current to pass from source to drain when gate is off. This distance is the fab size. here as per article 10nm. So there is a limit to which this shrinkage can be done. So new methods can be done to make it closer. As the shrinkage goes by a new phenomena takes place called quantum tunneling. the power tunnels to source and drain in spite of anything we do. This is supposed to happen at 3 to 4 atom size. The radius of silicon atom is 117.6 pm; so the diameter is 235.2 pm. so 4 to 5 atom size so this will equate to 940.8 pm to 1.1nm. So that will be where the shrinkage hits a stop. Even if somehow the tunneling did not occur the limit will be 235.2 pm. People will say then quantum computing will give way to future. that is not exactly correct. quantum computer is good only for high parallel independent computation. which can be used for deep neural networks, fluid dynamics and other research application. the general processing and algorithm will be extremely slow compared to a classical processor. Intel has already showcased 10nm silicon before commercialization of 14nm @Linus @Slick