Vulkan to be shown at GDC

Humbug

one of the GDC sessions is entitled glNext: The Future of High Performance Graphics. Currently the session is listed as presented by Valve while previously it said presented by Khronos Group. The session will also have developers from EA, Epic Games, Oxide Games, and Unity.

They will be showing off drivers and hardware running glNext.

"Join us for the unveiling of Khronos' glNext initiative, the upcoming cross-platform graphics API designed for modern programming techniques and processors. glNext will be the singular choice for developers who demand peak performance in their applications. We will present a technical breakdown of the API, advanced techniques and live demos of real-world applications running on glNext drivers and hardware."

http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/glnext-the-future-of-high-performance-graphics-presented-by-valve
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Next-Gen-OpenGL-GDC15

A bit of background....

So OpenGL 4.5 is currently the latest version. However within the last decade the API has lost a lot of ground to Microsoft with devs claiming that DirectX was better documented and easier to use. OpenGL has also been accused of carrying too much legacy cruft which is no longer relevant to modern GPUs. Off the top of my head it seems like iD software and John Carmack was one of the few remaining AAA devs to prefer the API. Other devs tend to use it when they have to because of the platform. e.g. mobile, Mac OSX, Linux, consoles...

We first heard about the next generation openGL initiative in the middle of 2014.
https://www.khronos.org/assets/uploads/developers/library/2014-siggraph-bof/OpenGL-Ecosystem-BOF_Aug14.pdf

It looks like their objectives and promises are very similar to that of Mantle and Direct X 12.

- OpenGL-Next is a ground-up design of a modern 3D+Compute API and will break compatibility with existing OpenGL implementations.

- The new API seeks to unify OpenGL and OpenGL ES API -- one API to rule both desktop and mobile worlds.

- There will be explicit control over GPU and CPU workloads with the application/game expressing to the driver what it wants.

- The new API will be high performance and predictable.

- The new API will be multi-threading and multi-core friendly with great reductions to the CPU overhead.

- There will be a common shading language intermediate representation (IR) for greater reliability and portability.

- Like OpenGL, the new API will be architecture-neutral with full support for tile-based rendering and direct rendering.

- There will be enhanced conformance testing.

- This new initiative is "NOT" going to be a "multi-year, design-by-committee process."

As OpenGL is controlled by a consortium (Khronos), in the past it has been criticised for being too slow to innovate. You can see above they are keen not to repeat those mistakes. Apart from that the greater conformance testing is important.

Below are the contributors
2014-08-10_1141.png?w=738

It's mildy suprising that this GDC session is being presented by Valve rather than Khronos. It also looks like Gabe has roped in devs from EA, Epic Games, Oxide Games, and Unity to present as well. The reason Valve is so heavily invested in this is that they want one API to rule them all. One API for devs to target across platforms- mobile, Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, mobile and consoles which is in Valve's and Steam's best interest. This will reduce the number of manhours and complexity involved in porting games.

So far even though Steam Machines are a no-show Valve has been successful in convincing devs to target for Linux, but they probably want to make that porting process less painful in future. Also raises the question of whether Source 2 will be one of the first engines to use the new API.

OOOOOH YUS!

Get hype for linux games :)

But the great first step was Valve releasing the DirectX - OpenGL software last year.

This is cool, I hope :)

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

I can't help but fall to my knees when I see a post this long

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

I can't help but fall to my knees when I see a post this long

Only the first two little paras in red inside the quotation box are the news post.

The rest is all background info which I included to give some perspective to the unitiated.

You know that it is important when Samsung and Apple agree. Also Intel, AMD, and Nvidia.

AMD did say that they would/did give them their mantle "playbook" so they would know what to do

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Yeah, I'm not reading that. Eyerape.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Lots of contributors. Really surprised, but thankful!

This is extremely good news. I don't know all the details and technical terms, but the way I hear it (from those who do) any update to OpenCL is a huge step forward for everyone (especially Linux!). :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Below is the presenter list. We have representation from Frostbite engine, Source 2 engine, Nitrous Engine, Unity 3D engine and the Unreal 4 engine.

Johan Andersson  |  Technical Fellow, Electronic Arts, Frostbite Engine Team
Pierre-Loup Griffais  |  Developer, Valve Software
John McDonald  |  Developer, Valve Software
Niklas Smedberg  |  Senior Engine Programmer, Epic Games
Dan Baker  |  Graphics Architect, Oxide Games
Aras Pranckevicius  |  Graphics Architect, Unity Technologies

Intrestingly Johan Anderson is the guy who collaborated with AMD to create mantle and build it into Frostbite.

Also Dan Baker and Oxide games are the guys responsible for the StarSwarm demo which was used to demonstrate the maximum possible gains from Mantle in heavily draw call bottlenecked scenarios.

Below is the presenter list. We have representation from Frostbite engine, Source 2 engine, Nitrous Engine, Unity 3D engine and the Unreal 4 engine.

Johan Andersson  |  Technical Fellow, Electronic Arts, Frostbite Engine Team

Pierre-Loup Griffais  |  Developer, Valve Software

John McDonald  |  Developer, Valve Software

Niklas Smedberg  |  Senior Engine Programmer, Epic Games

Dan Baker  |  Graphics Architect, Oxide Games

Aras Pranckevicius  |  Graphics Architect, Unity Technologies

Intrestingly Johan Anderson is the guy who collaborated with AMD to create mantle and build it into Frostbite.

Also Dan Baker and Oxide games are the guys responsible for the StarSwarm demo which was used to demonstrate the maximum possible gains from Mantle in heavily draw call bottlenecked scenarios.

Every API that is using Mantle source has the presence of such developers, who helped in the development and implementation of Mantle.

The same happened with DX12, they were the only ones presenting the technical details of DX12 when it was presented @GDC14... because no one else knows Mantle better then themselfs, on the developers side. Hell, it was even Oxide who was @ NVIDIA GDC14 developer presentation of DX12 lol... a AMD partner :D

I dont like open GL at all sorry :/

Most AAA games that use open GL are on idtech an they are a mess ( evil within ,RAGE).

unlike previous versions this is a ground up redesign so whether you like previous versions is irrelevant thankfully. A lot of people in the opengl community were asking for a fresh approach actually.

unlike previous versions this is a ground up redesign so whether you like previous versions is irrelevant thankfully. A lot of people in the opengl community were asking for a fresh approach actually.

Yeah open GL is quite antiquated , i have programmed on it.

hype! :P hope good things come of this! 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Frostbite Engine on Linux would be outstanding. A lot of triple-A titles use it, and it would be wonderful to see those games on Linux. DICE did mention wanting to support Linux 1.5 years ago. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Fix for night theme plox, the dark red text is almost unreadable.

This is why you want amd to survive....(and why the frostbite engine is one of the best for benchmarking unlike starcraft and skyrim everyone loves so much).

others contributed sure but the fact a large section of the amd wiki page is about open source and allot of these people appear on several large projects including helping microshaft help fix thier stuff tells you the industry would be very dormant without them.

Falcon: Corsair 750D 8320at4.6ghz 1.3v | 4GB MSI Gaming R9-290 @1000/1250 | 2x8GB 2400mhz Kingston HyperX Beast | Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | Antec H620 | Corsair RM750w | Crucial M500 240GB, Toshiba 2TB, DarkThemeMasterRace, my G3258 has an upgrade path, my fx8320 doesn't need one...total cost £840=cpu£105, board£65, ram£105, Cooler £20, GPU£200, PSU£88, SSD£75, HDD£57, case£125.

CASE:-NZXT S340 Black, CPU:-FX8120 @4.2Ghz, COOLER:-CM Hyper 212 EVO, BOARD:-MSI 970 Gaming, RAM:-2x4gb 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro, GPU: SLI EVGA GTX480's @700/1000, PSU:-Corsair CX600m, HDD:-WD green 160GB+2TB toshiba
CASE:-(probably) Cooltek U1, CPU:-G3258 @4.5ghx, COOLER:-stock(soon "MSI Dragon" AiO likely), BOARD:-MSI z87i ITX Gaming, RAM:-1x4gb 1333mhz Patriot, GPU: Asus DCU2 r9-270 OC@1000/1500mem, PSU:-Sweex 350w.., HDD:-WD Caviar Blue 640GB
CASE:-TBD, CPU:-Core2Quad QX9650 @4Ghz, COOLER:-OCZ 92mm tower thing, BOARD:-MSI p43-c51, RAM:-4x1GB 800mhz Corsair XMS2, GPU: Zotac GTX460se @800/1000, PSU:-OCZ600sxs, HDD:-WD green 160GBBlueJean-A
 CASE:-Black/Blue Sharkoon T9, CPU:-Phenom2 x4 B55 @3.6Ghz/1.4v, COOLER:-FX8320 Stock HSF, BOARD:-M5A78L-M/USB3, RAM:-4GB 1333mhz Kingston low profile at 1600mhz, GPU:-EVGA GTX285, PSU:-Antec TP550w modu, STORAGE:-240gb  M500+2TB Toshiba
CASE:-icute zl02-3g-bb, CPU:-Phenom2 X6 1055t @3.5Ghz, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-Asrock m3a UCC, RAM:2x2GB 1333mhz Zeppelin (thats yellow!), GPU: XFX 1GB HD6870xxx, PSU:-some 450 POS, HDD:-WD Scorpio blue 120GB
CASE:-Packard Bell iMedia X2424, Custom black/red Aerocool Xpredator fulltower, CPU's:-E5200, C2D [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>(so e8500), COOLER:-Scythe Big shuriken2 Rev B, BFG gtx260 sp216 OC, RAM:-tons..
Gigabyte GTX460, Gigabyte gt430,
GPU's:-GT210 1GB,  asus hd6670 1GB gddr5, XFX XXX 9600gt 512mb Alpha dog edition, few q6600's
PICTURES CASE:-CIT mars black+red, CPU:-Athlon K6 650mhz slot A, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-QDI Kinetiz 7a, RAM:-256+256+256MB 133mhz SDram, GPU:-inno3d geforce4 mx440 64mb, PSU:-E-Zcool 450w, STORAGE:-2x WD 40gb "black" drives,
CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra, CPU:-Athlon64 4000+, COOLER:-BIG stock one, BOARD:-MSI something*, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz ECC transcend, GPU:-ati 9800se@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-2x maxtor 80gb,
PICTURES CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra (another), CPU:-Pentium4 2.8ghz prescott, COOLER:-Artic Coolering Freezer4, BOARD:-DFI lanparty infinity 865 R2, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz kingston, GPU:-ati 9550@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-another 2x WD 80gb,
CASE:-ML110 G4, CPU:-xeon 4030, COOLER:-stock leaf blower, BOARD:-stock raid 771 board, RAM:-2x2GB 666mhz kingston ECC ddr2, GPU:-9400GT 1GB, PSU:-stock delta, RAID:-JMicron JMB363 card+onboard raid controller, HDD:-320gb hitachi OS, 2xMaxtor 160gb raid1, 500gb samsungSP, 160gb WD, LAPTOP:-Dell n5030, CPU:-replaced s*** cel900 with awesome C2D E8100, RAM:-2x2GB 1333mhz ddr3, HDD:-320gb, PHONE's:-LG optimus 3D (p920) on 2.3.5@300-600mhz de-clock (batteryFTW)

This is why you want amd to survive....(and why the frostbite engine is one of the best for benchmarking unlike starcraft and skyrim everyone loves so much).

others contributed sure but the fact a large section of the amd wiki page is about open source and allot of these people appear on several large projects including helping microshaft help fix thier stuff tells you the industry would be very dormant without them.

ya mantle has certainly shaken things up in a positive way. I guess it shows that a closed solution can work great as a proof of concept to spur the industry forward. Gsync from nvidia did that too.

It's very encouraging to see this many devs of important game engines getting up on the same stage to push the new openGL. Wish they were live streaming it, although much of it will be too technical for me... My hope is that this can become a defacto standard and not just something people use when they have to on linux/mobile.

Yay for not needing to downgrade from an 8320 to an i5 due to poor game multithreading :P

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

Yeah open GL is quite antiquated , i have programmed on it.

Lets hope they do it right :) This could have a huge impact on the quality of mobile games. Maybe the pocket sized console isn't that far off anymore.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

I can see glNext being widely accepted, especially in cross-platform titles, since all big players stands behind it, unlike Mantle - if it doesn't get accepted by NVidia, I don't see a bright future for it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

I only came to say get linux master race out of your head its not gonna happen.Sure you can still dream tough :D

If win10 is succesfull along with DX12 it will be the last nail in the linux coffin.

If win10 is succesfull along with DX12 it will be the last nail in the linux coffin.

Nonsense. Linux is not going to just disappear if Windows 10 is successful.  It's firmly entrenched in the server world. On the desktop it has only a small following but they too are not going to abandon it for Windows 10. People forget that most of the Linux distros do not exist for profit. They do not need to be commercially viable, they have and will continue to survive with a small but loyal fanbase.

The people who will switch to Windows 10 are already Windows users.

Awwwwwww yeeeeeeeaaahh

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15