Inexpensive student tablet/2-in-1

Hi all,

So now that my Ipad 2 has become obsolete (and runs awfully slow), I need a new tablet. Because I am starting my degree soon I want to get a tablet or

2-in-1 to which i can attach a keyboard, so that i can use it for work. However I also want to use it for pleasure, so I would prefer to have android as the OS since its app-store is far beyond that of windows.

Because I am a student my budget won't go much above $600.

I hope some of you have a good suggestion.

I like the looks of the shield, I never knew it was so inexpensive.

Thanks for the suggestion

I have however one dilemma: Windows or android?

Since I want to use this laptop for work (text editing, notes taking and code writing)

And for pleasure (mobile games, chatting, youtube)

Either one seems to suit only one of these options.

What should i choose?

Since I want to use this laptop for work (text editing, notes taking and code writing)

What should i choose?

Android should be good for all of that except code writing. There might be some apps on the play store that support certain code you could run. The windows app store has a limited selection of apps and games, Because the limited support from developers. Android being widespread and having a good amount of official and non-official apps has a ton of support. it all depends on the persons preferences since you are coming from a Ipad 2, you might feel more at home with a android due to the interface.     

Overkill Chill:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU with Hyper 212evo | RAM:  2 x 4 GB DDR3 MoBo: ASRock H61M-DGS R2.0 | PSU: Rosewill PHOTON 750W | GPU: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280 3GB | Case: Antec One Gaming | Storage: Kingston HyperX 120gb, Seagate 2 TB | OS: Windows 10 | Displays:  Asus VS228H-P, Hp 2009m

I personally own a Dell Venue 8 Pro, which does run full Windows 8.1, although it is the 32 bit version. It surprisingly runs extremely well and very fast. Not only that, but you can get them for around $150.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dell+venue+8+pro

COMIC SANS

For these uses hands down Windows, but make sure it's the full x86 version. 

Check out the Asus Transformer T100 and the Acer Aspire Switch 10. They would be perfect for you.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-transformer-book-t100taf-10-1-intel-atom-32gb-with-keyboard-gray/8771004.p?id=1219365673287&skuId=8771004

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Acer-Aspire-Switch-10-SW5-012-64GB-Signature-Edition-2-in-1-PC/productID.308002000

"Rawr XD"

I personally own a Dell Venue 8 Pro, which does run full Windows 8.1, although it is the 32 bit version. It surprisingly runs extremely well and very fast. Not only that, but you can get them for around $150.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dell+venue+8+pro

Only keyboard options though are wireless or OTG

"Rawr XD"

What should i choose?

Windows. There are TONS of games for windows.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

I advocate for Android.

text editing,

Google Docs, MS Word

notes taking

Evernote, Google Keep

and code writing

There are plenty of apps that let you do this on the Play Store

Now, for recommendations:

~8": Nokia N1 (if you can wait to see if it comes to your country if it's not there already), nVidia Shield Tablet

~9-10": Nexus 9 (wait for quality control issues to sort themselves out), Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 (maybe wait for 2015 edition), Galaxy Tab S 10.5

10"+: Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 (maybe wait for reboot), Galaxy Tab S Pro (if it's real).

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

Thanks for all resposes. I think that I'll be best of buying a windows machine now, then replacing my ipad with an android when it breaks