SLI woes

RimanDk

Hey guys,

I just put together a new system: Gigabyte z97x gaming 5, i7 4790k, 2x Gigabyte gtx 970 g1 in sli, windows 8.1 pro x64, latest drivers.

It's not looking quite right. While the fps i am getying are definitely above my old 2600k + single gtx 680 setup, they are not quite as high as i expect them to be and the usage figures in afterburner are all wrong (i think). My 3d mark score i up in the 16000 region, which seems right, but while firestrike runs the gpu 1 shows usage between 50 and 60%, while gpu 2 stays rather flat at around 5% usage. On the other hand the power usage, memory usage. Heat and fan speed seem to go well hand in hand on both cards, which i find weird.

The obvious: I have installed my cards in the right pci-e x16 slots and they should be sharing x8 bandwidth. I have connected the cards with the sli bridge on the knob closest to the outputs. I have enabled sli for maximum performance in the driver and have left the physx option to auto-choose which processing unit to make use of.

In games the situation is much the same, with afterburner showing moderate usage on the first card and virtually none on the second. Games tested so far are Project CARS, Guild Wars 2 and War Thunder. I tried disabling sli in pCars and the difference was a meagre 10-15% in performance.

Am i missing something?

Edit: Forgot to mention I am running my system off a seasonic platinum 860W.

enable SLI, do it monthly

Fujitsu Celsius 380W: i5 650 @ 3.2 Ghz | FUJITSU D2917-A1 | 4GB RAM 1333Mhz | ASUS GTX 750 TI Strix OC Edition | Fujitsu Case | 380W Fujitsu PSU | 250GB HDD | Windows 7 64 bit | Dell P2214H

Rekty Shrekty 

Try switching the cards around see if it makes a difference

Also switch the Power cables around for the cards  the 6 & 8 pin to the other card and vice versa

Do you have another SLI bridge you can test try another one to see if it makes a difference 

The PSU seems suffice in power 

Also PCI-e 3.0 X8 should be enough for a 970 

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GTX_980_PCI-Express_Scaling/3.html

Corsair 750D Airflow Edition Case | Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.4Ghz | Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 RAM | 2 X 8TB Seagate HDD | Corsair HX850i 850W PSU | Crucial MX200 500GB SSD |  MSI X99A SLI Plus   Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid CPU CoolerAsus Essence STX II Sound Card |  Logitech MX Master Wireless Mouse | Corsair Gaming K95 RGB LED Mechanical Gaming Keyboard | NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Fan Controller | Windows 10 Insider Preview x64

I tested both cards individually in the top slot and both perform the same. 

Switched them around, same performance and usage graphs as in the OP.

Switched power cables, no change.

Flipped the SLI bridge, no change.

I have another SLI bridge lying around somewhere.. need to find it and try it, though I have doubts that will change anything. I will try to locate it, though =)