Windows 8.1 oem vs full version

hamzalodhi
Go to solution Solved by JAKEBAB,

OEM is locked to your motherboard so if u ever want to upgrade your mobo you can't re use the OEM version of windows.

I am building a new gaming rig. I decided to go with windows 8.1 pro 64bit. But i am confused as there are two versions, oem and full version. So can you please tell me the difference.

OEM is locked to your motherboard so if u ever want to upgrade your mobo you can't re use the OEM version of windows.

Full version I think you can reuse the key though with oem its locked to your motherboard (don't quote me on that though)
EDIT: ninja'd :/

Life.exe is missing

OEM is what system builders use to bind their product key directly to the motherboards on-board memory. Full version allows you to re-use the product key on as many computers you like, it'll just deactivate the old bind on their KMS servers when you enter it or something like that. It's late, my memory isn't the best.

I'm not sure about the technical side, but on the legal side oem is for system builders to be used with a brand new system. The retail version is to be used on anything else. (basicly bought by joe blogs public who isn't building his own rig, and didn't know about the oem software.)

There is no 'full version' as every version is the full version. There is a retail SKU, an OEM SKU and several SKU's relating to Open and Open Plus licenses. The retail SKU gives you the install option for both the 64 and 32 bit versions where as the OEM version comes with one or the other. I've heard from Microsoft reps who state the exact opposites to eachother in relation to whether you can use a 64 bit OEM key for a 32 bit install: some say it will and others say it won't work. The OEM key also is designed for system builders meaning that beyond activation issues, you'll receive no technical support or retail packaging. The retail packaging also used to include product manuals in the days of XP, 2000 and to a certain extent 7. If a business is audited by Microsoft, you'll find that you are only allowed a maximum number of 5 retail licenses whereas OEM is a little different. 

OEM Win 8 pro keys can also be downgraded to Win 7 Pro or Vista Business whereas I do not believe that retail versions can go through the same changes.