First time I heard of it I also thought it was an overbuild useless gadget but if you view it more as a highly portable Desktop than a Laptop then this monster suddenly makes a lot of sense. I mean if you need a lot of power in your hotel room for videoediting or something like that and when you only have to move it once in a while then this badboy is pretty much the way to go. It's not only the keyboard but the upgradable hardware which makes this a nicely rounded package - it makes the extra room it needs much more worth it.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

I see this as a perfect LAN party device. Except for the price, of course.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

The use case I see for this are people with multiple homes. For example, a child with divorced parents who have shared custody.

Of course the problem with that is that no child has that kind of money. Although I guess if the kid had *that* kind of parents, who are always trying to one-up each other, then maybe s/he could make it known that s/he wants one and s/he'd get it.

I don't know, at this point I feel I could just build a mini-itx system with an R9 295x2 in it, as well as a small screen and a mech keyboard, and then carry THAT around... and I'd spare a lot of money, too... this is definitely for a very specific audience if for anyone at all.

I mean...

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($148.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Transcend MTS600 512GB M.2-2260 Solid State Drive  ($223.39 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 295X2 8GB Core Edition Video Card  ($664.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Lian-Li PC-Q25B Mini ITX Tower Case  ($110.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($52.98 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Acer H226HQLbid 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($139.09 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1890.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-01 07:45 EST-0500

It's not a laptop, but at this point even the gt80 is pretty useless without a wall socket... carrying it around for work is suicide, so only gaming makes sense.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

MSI deserves some props for how crazy this laptop is and what they've done with it but even if the price puts it well out of my range it is still far too ugly for me to even consider. It hate those aggressively designed gaming laptops. It just looks terrible. There aren't nearly enough good looking high end laptops out there.

you could buy a laptop from ocuk with a full size 3930k@3.2ghz and 680 sli a couple of years ago :P didn't have a great keyboard though

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

post-153490-0-25632000-1422808200.png

post-153490-0-25632000-1422808200.png

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

215.jpg

This is actually my current laptop, but with a 3930k rather than a Xeon. Interestingly, I believe the GT80 actually uses the same power brick. My only two complaints about it are that the audio is pretty poor and tinny, and the keykoard is pretty rubbish, too; it feels all right (for a scissor switch), but it commits several layout sins, like a short shift, enter, and backspace key, and for no readily apparent reason other than laziness, since it uses a keyboard designed for a fifteen inch notebook on a much bigger chassis so there ends up being lots wasted space.

The GT80 still seems pretty cool to me, though. 

hmm, perhaps its time we design a slimline mechanical keyboard? to the brain factory

Is this the same GT80 Titan that they had in the CES suite? The far right speaker cone under the 'big empty panel above the keyboard' is actually pushed in or damaged somehow and in the same shape as the speaker cone on the GT80 Titan I remember seeing at CES. Can anyone confirm? @LinusTech @nicklmg

I'm glad someone else noticed, I'm pretty sure it's the one from CES.

To think i accidently clicked on "Instant 1 click buying amazon option" on this super expensive laptop......... obviously i canceled right away.

Groomlake Authority

I personally like big powerful desktop multimonitor - workstation/gaming PCs and small powerful ultrabooks. 
I don't believe these two can be combined well, but i have to give kudos to MSI for trying. :D

Why does it only have a 1080p screen? 

And I would rather just get a different keyboard and plug it in. But thats just me.

This is the sort of thing that makes me dismissive of gaming laptops.

If there's a space that I want to be able to play games in that isn't my home, but also have the space to set up (table + wall plug) then what the fuck am I even doing with my life at that point?   

When I want to play games on the go, I use a vastly superior product.

Nintendo-3DS-AquaOpen.jpg

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I LOVE IT. Wish i could afford it...

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

Lol all that for a 1080p screen.

u dont wanna have a 4K screen on your laptop, trust me ,been there done that, the exp was terrible. 

I didn't know Dynaudio made laptop speakers. I wonder how good they sound for a laptop.

The car and home speakers they make are very good from my experience. 

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

you really shouldnt call that thing a laptop and compare it to some ultrabooks. like linus said its more like mobile desktop workstation thing. and to be honest i really dont like using touchpads at all. i normally use a mouse or a touchscreen. so i like this product very much , besides from beeing totally overkill and out of normal consumer prize range

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

All that hardware and only a 60Hz panel.

Mechanical keyboard should be something automatically put in any laptop now.  Gosh forbid the world puts out products that are the best.  Oh wait that would not be as profitable.  Die commerce die.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S