GTX 960 or save $41 more and buy a GTX 970?

ChipWoodChainSaw

I just built a new PC but waited for the 960 to be released.

I ordered it today and then my uncle came over asking if he could have my old computer for a NAS, he gave me $50 for it. (NO HDD or RAM FM2 CPU it was bad)

Then i relized that i am almost there to a 970. if i canncle my order (amazon still hasnt prosessed it) i can save more and get it! Do i canncel it and save more money? Or use the money to buy a CPU cooler or put to towards an SSD or ram (i have 4.5 GB)? I dont have a job so il have to work hard to get that money, what do i do?

Get an R9 290 secondhand and more RAM? 4.5GB will do nothing for you for gaming.

Otherwise, R9 290X/GTX 970.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

The 960 isn't really a good value. I'd suggest grabbing a 290/290x now instead. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yeah, I'd say save the 41$ more for a 970

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

gtx 970 all the way

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

What specs does your PC have which your installing this graphics card on?

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

for the prices I've been seeing lately, a 290 is currently the best bang for buck card on the planet. of course, make sure you at least have a 550 watt or better PSU.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I would seriously recommend a R9 290.

Nvidia is just milking the mid-range market with the 960 don't fall for their crap.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

The 960 isn't really a good value. I'd suggest grabbing a 290/290x now instead. 

my problem with the r9 290 is that the cheap ones get really hot and the higher dollar ones run normal

I5- 4690k

MSI z97s Krait

1TB segate

HP ram from old pc

damn that's a smexy mobo

MSI-Z97S-SLI-Krait-Edition-3-600x404.png

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

my problem with the r9 290 is that the cheap ones get really hot and the higher dollar ones run normal

XFX's DD 290 is the second cheapest 290 listed on PcPP: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#sort=a8&c=152,146

what about a r9 280x?

The 290/290x is quite a bit better and not that much more expensive.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

XFX's DD 290 is the second cheapest 290 listed on PcPP: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#sort=a8&c=152,146

The 290/290x is quite a bit better and not that much more expensive.

its got to be on amazon:( i have 88$ in gift card

its got to be on amazon:( i have 88$ in gift card

The cheapest 290 on Amazon is a IceQ X² which is one of the more beefy coolers available: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/his-video-card-h290qmc4gd

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6454/his-radeon-r9-290-4gb-iceq-x2-turbo-video-card-review/index14.html

its so hard to choice what to buy.

do you think i sould get more ram or an SSD? or even a cooler to keep my 4690 from getting to 80C

its so hard to choice what to buy.

do you think i sould get more ram or an SSD? or even a cooler to keep my 4690 from getting to 80C

The stock cooler should already be plenty for stock settings. Definitely get a ssd.

okay 960 and ssd

No.. Get a 290 instead of a 960. The 960 isn't that good of a value.

No.. Get a 290 instead of a 960. The 960 isn't that good of a value.

This

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs