Weird 4790k issue...did you have the same? Or is it just me?

Hi,

This week, my bulletproof 4.8 GHz i7 3770k of three years died due to reasons I can't explain. So I replaced it with the 4790k along with a Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H. (Now begins three months of eggs and noodles) So I start my system up, and for some reason whenever I commence a program the computer has to reboot. I thought it was the PSU, or a dodgy reset switch or the RAM or many other things which I addressed. Nope, not working. System still crashes out of nowhere. So at this point I kinda get frustrated.

But alas...stress testing reveals that the crashes are a direct result of CPU load. Every and any occassion the CPU is working above idle the system reboots. I check the thermal paste, temps are fine, PSU is a gold unit so no worries there. Then I go into the BIOS, and I look at at the auto voltage on the VCore. It's 1.100V at the vanilla setting. Seriously...1.100V auto for a CPU the board knows will turbo to 4.4 outta the box untouched.

I adjust to 1.24V and everything is fine. No crashes. Stable on all levels of IBT @68 degrees C max. So I ask did anyone else have this problem with their 'Devil's Canyon' initially? Or is it just an issue with this specific board? Additionally, what is the general stock voltage on an untuned 4790k?

I feel like it is a specific motherboard problem

Hmmm, in that case I shall write a review on Amazon.

gigabyte z97 = failed auto values

first of all gigabyte z97 boards are turboing all cores to 44x. by default they should turbo like this.

44x

44x

43x

42x

i used both f5 and f6 bios and they both do the same thing.

typically 4.4ghz on all core will require appx 1.175-1.25v depending on your cpu.

my gigabyte z97 + 4790k experience

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Gigabyte has known issues with the 4790k.

Reason enough why I avoided them all together...  :ph34r:

gigabyte z97 = failed auto values

first of all gigabyte z97 boards are turboing all cores to 44x. by default they should turbo like this.

44x

44x

43x

42x

i used both f5 and f6 bios and they both do the same thing.

typically 4.4ghz on all core will require appx 1.175-1.25v depending on your cpu.

my gigabyte z97 + 4790k experience

Good info there, I'll check the multipliers next time I power on.

Gigabyte has known issues with the 4790k.

Reason enough why I avoided them all together...  :ph34r:

Yeah, if any more gremlins pop up I'm just going to return it and buy an Asus. They're overpriced IMO but they're rock solid and the BIOS is really nice.