Apple Acquisition of AuthenTec Meant No Nexus 6 Fingerprint Scanner

Sharif

nexus-6-product-photo.jpg

You know that dimple behind the nexus 6,i always thought it was for help holding it but there is actually a reason behind that 

Back in 2012, Apple purchased biometrics company AuthenTec with the intention of including their fingerprint scanning technology in future iPhones and iPads. That technology became Apple’s Touch ID, first included with the iPhone 5s in 2013 and all iOS devices since. What we didn’t know, was that Motorola intended to incorporate this into their Nexus 6, but Apple’s acquisition left all but a tiny remnant of the company’s plans.

That remnant, according to former Motorola CEO Dennis Woodside, is the indentation that now holds the Motorola logo on the rear of the Nexus 6. Yes, that small dimple you see in the picture above.

In an interview with The Telegraph, Woodside says that Apple’s acquisition of AuthenTec meant no biometrics for the Nexus 6.

Quote from telegraph :

“Indeed, the 6-inch Nexus 6, he can now admit, was stymied by just one of those big players. A dimple on the back that helps users hold the device should, in fact, have been rather more sophisticated. “The secret behind that is that it was supposed to be fingerprint recognition, and Apple bought the best supplier. So the second best supplier was the only one available to everyone else in the industry and they weren’t there yet,” says Woodside.”

Source : Eteknix 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

TBH better no fingerprint than a shitty one

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

see apple didn't even invent it, they just bought the guys who did, i really hate companies that try to control the market

At least Apple's fingerprint sensor works. It was probably gonna be something like Samsung's maybe, but I prefer Apple's design, since you can hold your phone normally while scanning it.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Motorola helped pioneer fingerprint sensors, so those who say it was gonna be shitty need to do some research...

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

The idea of having it in the back wouldn't be that great to use IMO. Apple's location for it is much more useful. 

Motorola helped pioneer fingerprint sensors, so those who say it was gonna be shitty need to do some research...

Give us one example then.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Give us one example then.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/62441

Just one example, actually the first example of fingerprint scanners in a phone as far as I know.

Motorola has experience with biometric scanners as well. 30+ years in fact.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

The idea of having it in the back wouldn't be that great to use IMO. Apple's location for it is much more useful. 

Really, because thats exactly where your finger would be when holding it. All you would have to do is shift it onto the sensor and it would unlock

Funny how my index finger is exactly where that indent is while typing on galaxy s4a.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

At least Apple's fingerprint sensor works. It was probably gonna be something like Samsung's maybe, but I prefer Apple's design, since you can hold your phone normally while scanning it.

Apples works. Which is more than I can say for the Samsung equivalent. I've yet to have mine just refuse to accept my fingerprint. 

Good on them for not cramming in a sensor for the sake of having a sensor. Rather have nothing than a broken implementation of something, especially with fingerprint sensors. 

Apple doing what it does best, being a dick.

They're also known to be quite big too when it comes to doing better than others

although i like the finger scanner on ms 5s, i think this is lame that now the other big phone makers cant incorporate this stuff into their phones, making it basically buy apple or dont have the feature, which is completely absurd

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Really, because thats exactly where your finger would be when holding it. All you would have to do is shift it onto the sensor and it would unlock

Funny how my index finger is exactly where that indent is while typing on galaxy s4a.

Well if you have a case on it, it would have to an matching hole to fit that, and putting your finger in that wouldn't be that great, also if your index finger doesn't work somehow I feel like it wouldn't be as nice as using the same button that you can wake your device to unlock your phone,

Apple doing what it does best, being a dick.

see apple didn't even invent it, they just bought the guys who did, i really hate companies that try to control the market

although i like the finger scanner on ms 5s, i think this is lame that now the other big phone makers cant incorporate this stuff into their phones, making it basically buy apple or dont have the feature, which is completely absurd

This isn't really new of Apple to do this. They bought a sapphire company so that the iPhone 6's screen would be made of sapphire. It's also Apple's nature to develop as much as possible in house- the soc, the os, etc. Let's not forget that the fingerprint sensor is a feature that is dismissed by many people that haven't used it, so I wouldn't complain that Apple bought the company.

I remember finger print scanning being around before cellphones or even apple was a thing, this patent stuff it's out of control.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Apples works. Which is more than I can say for the Samsung equivalent. I've yet to have mine just refuse to accept my fingerprint. 

Good on them for not cramming in a sensor for the sake of having a sensor. Rather have nothing than a broken implementation of something, especially with fingerprint sensors. 

The finger print scanner on my friend's Note 4 seems to work perfectly. I have only seen him have to swipe twice 1 time, and he uses it for unlocking his phone so he does it many times a day.

I think the problem with the Galaxy S 5's scanner was the positioning. Since you have to swipe you have to come from the right angle, and maybe the size of the Note 4 forces people to hold it in a way that makes them more precise when swiping.

I remember finger print scanning being around before cellphones or even apple was a thing, this patent stuff it's out of control.

Don't worry, this isn't a patent. This is just Apple buying a whole company and then keeping all their products for themselves. The company probably has a bunch of patents related to fingerprint scanning, but it's not like Apple now has a patent on all scanners.

The finger print scanner on my friend's Note 4 seems to work perfectly. I have only seen him have to swipe twice 1 time, and he uses it for unlocking his phone so he does it many times a day.

I think the problem with the Galaxy S 5's scanner was the positioning. Since you have to swipe you have to come from the right angle, and maybe the size of the Note 4 forces people to hold it in a way that makes them more precise when swiping.

Don't worry, this isn't a patent. This is just Apple buying a whole company and then keeping all their products for themselves. The company probably has a bunch of patents related to fingerprint scanning, but it's not like Apple now has a patent on all scanners.

My dad uses his S5 scanner without any problems but he does it in the same direction every time

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Well if you have a case on it, it would have to an matching hole to fit that, and putting your finger in that wouldn't be that great, also if your index finger doesn't work somehow I feel like it wouldn't be as nice as using the same button that you can wake your device to unlock your phone,

Yeah, because swiping your finger on he gs5 is soooo easy, natural, comfortable and intuitive  when you have  a bulky case on it. /sarcasm

That hasn't stop them before when it comes to litigation though.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yeah, because swiping your finger on he gs5 is soooo easy, natural, comfortable and intuitive  when you have  a bulky case on it. /sarcasm

Nobody said anything about a case. Most people I see don't even have a case (me included). If the case came with the phone I could kind of see your point, but it doesn't so you are complaining that something you bought as an addon hinders some of the functionality. Lots of cases such as the OtterBox blocks the scanner on the iPhone as well. That's just how cases are.

Apple can be such trolls lol

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Nobody said anything about a case. Most people I see don't even have a case (me included). If the case came with the phone I could kind of see your point, but it doesn't so you are complaining that something you bought as an addon hinders some of the functionality. Lots of cases such as the OtterBox blocks the scanner on the iPhone as well. That's just how cases are.

Everyone I know puts a case on their phone. Personally I hate them, but whatever.