290X Lighting vs GTX 970 G1 Gaming

Rhett M. Quigley

Which one? I"ll currently use a 1080p monitor, I may move up to 1440p later. Are they equal in performance? I hear people say the 970 is better for 1080p, and I also hear that the 290x is better all around, so confused. It kinda makes me feel like people don't know what they are talking about, how can you have it both ways? If someone was offering a free MSI R9 290X Lightning or a GTX 970 G1 Gaming, which would you choose?

I recommend the R9 290X it has real 4GB, the GTX 970 has better power consumption, better performance at some games but only 5 FPS max, I would recommend the R9 290X it will have freesync and other great features.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Lightning. Such a baller card. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

The Lightning is currently $330, while the G1 is $360.

Lightning just Lightning.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

The Lightning is currently $330, while the G1 is $360.

Get the 290x. It'll use more power, but it'll be worth it.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

Ok, it seems that everybody loves the Lighting, so I'll most likely get that. Thanks.

If you were going to stay at 1080 then I'd say the 970.  But, given the debacle over the 970's memory usage above 3.5 gb I'd say go with the 290x.

And, it would appear that AMD is attempting to capitalize on Nvidia's screw up by dropping prices on the 290 and 290x.

Which one? I"ll currently use a 1080p monitor, I may move up to 1440p later. Are they equal in performance? I hear people say the 970 is better for 1080p, and I also hear that the 290x is better all around, so confused. It kinda makes me feel like people don't know what they are talking about, how can you have it both ways? If someone was offering a free MSI R9 290X Lightning or a GTX 970 G1 Gaming, which would you choose?

If you're moving up to 1440p then hands down 290X Lightning. 

Was also posted just a while ago

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/301703-gigabyte-gtx-970-g1-or-msi-r9-290x-lightning/

"Rawr XD"

the lighting version will pwn the 970 like dondo supermidda, also it has 4gb vram fully functional.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

When will 4Gb of VRAM be not enough? The difference between 3.5 and 4.0 doesn't sound like a gigantic leap.

id say the 290x without a doubt.  unless heat is a big worries to you, i.e. small form factor. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

id say the 290x without a doubt.  unless heat is a big worries to you, i.e. small form factor. 

I'm getting a normal size case.

That is what i would do.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Would it be more wise to wait till AMD releases their new video cards?

I would wait. I am not a fan of buying last Gen. I would wait and see what the 300 series has to offer.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

I would wait. I am not a fan of buying last Gen. I would wait and see what the 300 series has to offer.

Yeah.

I have heard that AMD won't release anything before April, so i'm getting the Lightning because I don't want to wait that long.

He was replaced by kawaii loli dance miss.

Somewhat more charming i guess  :P

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series?