ssd or hard drive or both?

Otaku-Kasai

so im building my 1st gaming pc, im trying to spend about 750-800 on the tower, i want to know if i should get a large ssd, a large hard drive, or both?

Both. OS and main programs should be on the SSD, and other stuff like games and all of your other crap should go on the HDD. Pretty nice setup once you decide what you want to do.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

240-ish GB SSD + 1TB HDD is the sweet spot

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

so im building my 1st gaming pc, im trying to spend about 750-800 on the tower, i want to know if i should get a large ssd, a large hard drive, or both?

both.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It really depends. Your budget might get in the way of going both, which unfortunately is the best result. The problem is than an SSD does nothing for ingame performance and so, in my opinion, is a luxury item. It doesn't actually do anything for you performance wise except decrease boot and load times. It sure feels snappier, but that's all you're getting with that $100 SSD.

As such in your price range I would probably put that money towards real performance parts that actually do affect ingame stuff. Until you have an i5-4460 CPU, h97 mobo, and an r9 290, I wouldnt get an SSD. Only after you have all those parts and there's money left in the budget would I try and shoehorn one into the build.

Another option is if you already have an HDD, use it as your mass storage drive and buy a 120GB SSD for $60 and save your money that way.

I went from 1tb drive, to a 256 gig ssd. I actually am not running out of room on it, have about 60 gigs free on it. I have my usual steam games, Just dont have music and movies. So you can get away with just a SSD if want, but you can get a 3tb drive for 100$, which is well worth it to throw all the mass data like large games, movies, and music on. 

I have a server set up, but dont really use it yet. I stream all my content currently

256 or 240 GB SSD is best thing for storing OS, programs and games.

HDD for storage.

So yes Both

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

On a laptop can you game effectively with ssd only 

I had a mechanical drive, and a smaller SSD for my OS / few programs. Switched over to using a single SSD for everything, and I couldn't be happier. Right now I'm running a 512GB SSD (MX100), plan on getting a second at some point and running them in RAID 0. 

If you're at all like me, and hate noise -- ditch the mechanical drive.

Hey Otaku-Kasai,

It really depends on what you are planning for that build. If you need more space for heavier programs and games with longer loading times, go for a larger SSD. If you have a bigger media library and don't use many programs or games, go for a smaller SSD just for your OS and a couple of applications and a larger HDD for everything else. 
It also depends on if you care about noise, power, price, redundancy, possibility of data recovery in case of drive failure, etc. :)
If you give us more details, we could provide you with better advice and probably some suggestions like a specific drive for storage or gaming (WD Black, WD Blue, WD Green) or some combination for redundancy (WD Red).

Captain_WD

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/