980 vs 970 SLI (vs 290x 8gb Crossfire), After the 3.5gb Issue

Go to solution Solved by Sauron,

Do not touch 980s. They are the most overpriced cards on the MARKET. Except titans if you want them for gaming.

970s also don't offer the same price/performance advantage they had at launch, now they are also too expensive for their performance, especially at 4k.

290xs are superior to 970s at 4k. And they are a LOT cheaper. I don't think you should get the 8gb variant though, it's most certainly not worth twice the price of the 4gb one and you'll be perfectly fine with 4gb for the next 2-3 years, and by that point you'll be considering an upgrade anyway.

I know there have been a metric ton of threads already on this, the 970 SLI beats the 980 in 4k gaming.  This is different though, the 3.5gb issue with the 970 is well known and spread around.  Would it be worth it to 'downgrade' to the 980 in order to get that extra .5gb that 4k gaming needs, or should I just go with the 290x Crossfire for more than I will ever need?

Do not touch 980s. They are the most overpriced cards on the MARKET. Except titans if you want them for gaming.

970s also don't offer the same price/performance advantage they had at launch, now they are also too expensive for their performance, especially at 4k.

290xs are superior to 970s at 4k. And they are a LOT cheaper. I don't think you should get the 8gb variant though, it's most certainly not worth twice the price of the 4gb one and you'll be perfectly fine with 4gb for the next 2-3 years, and by that point you'll be considering an upgrade anyway.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Why lol 290x cfx is better at 4k gaming.

Oh well..

http://www.hardocp.c...surround_review

Go here and see who wins the most .

I missed the 4K gaming part... my bad... I just go for 970 because I have one and dont have issues (maybe due to the fact I dont have many intensive graphic games)

I'm just gunna go 970 SLI because it isn't a huge difference between the two, only the price. I am willing to pay a premium for the 970 though because I have a shield and I want it to finally work :P

Its still as bad as ever for 4k gaming.

like everything else...

I know there have been a metric ton of threads already on this, the 970 SLI beats the 980 in 4k gaming.  This is different though, the 3.5gb issue with the 970 is well known and spread around.  Would it be worth it to 'downgrade' to the 980 in order to get that extra .5gb that 4k gaming needs, or should I just go with the 290x Crossfire for more than I will ever need?

none of these solutions are very suited for 4k gaming, 4k gaming capable gpu's are not out yet...wait for the big maxwell card that one will have a lot of vram and a big fat memory bus it will certaily cost nearly 1000$ at launch but this card will be worth it because it will be able to max out demanding games at 4k on its own.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

none of these solutions are very suited for 4k gaming, 4k gaming capable gpu's are not out yet...wait for the big maxwell card that one will have a lot of vram and a big fat memory bus it will certaily cost nearly 1000$ at launch but this card will be worth it because it will be able to max out demanding games at 4k on its own.

That's pretty much true though I run 4k with two Titan Blacks and so far it's been pretty smooth.

Also....

3.5gb for 4k?

Are the people stating that the 970s are enough actual 4k owners? or just dreamers who read benchmarks on the internet?

I constantly see well over 4gb vram being used on my Titans.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

I had 970 SLI and returned them for a single 980 for 4K gaming, I am really happy about the switch.

Using BF4 I had to do Low @ 4K on my 970 SLI because after hitting the 3.5GB VRAM my performance would dip from a constant ~60fps to 10-20fps. 

However after switching to a single 980 I was able to do High @ 4K w/ a constant 60fps, very happy.

Workstation i7-3930k | GTX 980 SLI | 2 x P2715Q (2160p) | AX1200i | H100i

Server E3-1245v3 | 24GB RAM | Be Quiet! 600W PSU | Be Quiet! Rock Pro 3

290x cfx is superior and cheaper.

Thats my point.

i don`t even think you know how hot a single r9 290X runs. 2 of them in CF...well good luck with that

my friend has the sapphire r9 290(nonX) tri-x  and he keeps the side panel open

i don`t even think you know how hot a single r9 290X runs. 2 of them in CF...well good luck with that

Two lighning or vapor X cards wont be that bad.

People overstate how hot those cards are.

The 970 is still the same card it was at release.

If I hear this bullshit one more time my head is going to explode.

It may technically be the same 3.5+0.5gb card it was but things have changed pretty much everywhere else.

IE - the games we have now are causing the 970 a whole world of problems. We didn't have this latest console slop then, so it was quite hard to show the flaws with the 970 but we do now. If we had Nvidia could never have pulled off what they did. Fact is they have been caught now, so things are obviously pretty different.

Even in a technical sense it's not the same card. When it released we were told it was a 4gb card, it's not.

And finally some advice for people considering 4k? the only safe option right now is two 8gb 290s or 290x. Well, unless you fancy selling a kidney like I did and buying Titans. AMD are 4k champs due to their lovely big fat memory pipe and great prices on those cards.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

What a load of poo. Yeah the stock cards run hot.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2014/11/18/corsair-hydro-series-hg10-review/1

Even with two of those and two single rad coolers they're still cheaper than the 980.

Two lighning or vapor X cards wont be that bad.

People overstate how hot those cards are.

i think they would since they are 290X

i`m not overstating anything.i played on one 

this is the card in question.as you can see it has a huge cooler,one of the best 290`s and its still a pain to own one. i can`t recommend something like that,not to mention 2 of them in CF lol

24v2k2o.jpg

i think they would since they are 290X

i`m not overstating anything.i played on one 

this is the card in question.as you can see it has a huge cooler,one of the best 290`s and its still a pain to own one. i can`t recommend something like that,not to mention 2 of them in CF lol

24v2k2o.jpg

And i never recommend that card.

The best ones are the MSI lightning and the vapor X

Proof:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/r9-290x-lightning-performance-review,3782-7.html

71 degrees isnt hot by any means.

970 has 4GB, not 3.5.

You don't need 8GB at all. 4K usually wants between 2.8 and 3.3GB vram. Even if the 970 did have the 3.5GB the AMD fanboys pretend it does, it would be enough with literally about two exceptions.

If I hear this bullshit one more time my head is going to explode.

It's not bullshit though is it? 

The cards had this problem at launch. The reference 970 at release is the same as the reference 970 we have now.

---

look,first run one and see for yourself,than start recommending them. i`m sure as hell i`m not.only if the budget is to tight. but then again if the budget it low that won`t be enough for a vapor-x or tri-x