PSU Replacement Fan (135 mm)

In the summer, I was running dual 280Xs and required this 1000W PSU. The PSU was labeled "silent" and I got a good deal on it, but it is too loud for me. I complained and Cooler Master told me "hey, sound is completely subjective. Sorry it's too loud for you. Sucks huh"

SO. Lesson learned: don't buy PSUs from CM :P lol.

Anyways, the purpose of this thread is to help me replace the fan  (It's obviously past the return date) but I'm not sure what fan to grab for this.

It says it requires a 135 mm fan, but I would rather buy this fan than a 135 mm fan and sand it down to size.

What should I watch for when buying a replacement PSU fan?

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

That it's one that's actually compatible with your PSU. Opening up your PSU voids the warranty if I'm not mistaken.

The only PSU's you should be buying from CM are the V series...

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Sand it down?!

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

That it's one that's actually compatible with your PSU. Opening up your PSU voids the warranty if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not worried about the warranty at this point :/ the noise bothers me too much. At the time, it was on sale and had a $50 rebate so i jumped on it. It was a mistake and I learned my lesson.

The fan I linked to is a 140 mm fan but on the PSU spec sheet it says the PSU uses a 135 mm fan. would the 140 mm fan really fit without me sanding it to a 135 mm size?

Sand it down?!

I was talking about sanding the sides of a fan that is (possibly) too big to fit into the PSU. The diameter of the fan blades is under 135 mm but the actual fan measures 140 mm.

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Opening a PSU voids the warranty and can be very dangerous if there's still charge in the capacitors. Xou should try to find a tear down guide for your PSu before you approach something like this.

Also try to find out the fan's specifications so your replacement fan runs at similar speeds. 

who cares...

Opening a PSU voids the warranty and can be very dangerous if there's still charge in the capacitors. Xou should try to find a tear down guide for your PSu before you approach something like this.

Also try to find out the fan's specifications so your replacement fan runs at similar speeds. 

Thank you for your concern. I will make sure to discharge the capacitors before opening the PSU.

I can't find the fan specs anywhere on the internet. The PSU is a discontinued product :(

If I die, you may have my favorite sunglasses  B)

Thank you for your concern. I will make sure to discharge the capacitors before opening the PSU.

I can't find the fan specs anywhere on the internet. The PSU is a discontinued product :(

If I die, you may have my favorite sunglasses  B)

Haha, thanks. :P

Maybe you just have to look at the back of the fan. There are usually some specs written on it. I think the most important part is getting a silent fan with a square frame that fits the drill holes. So I'd say a noctua or a noiseblocker would be great. Also be aware that you need to cut the new fan's wires and solder them to the old wires in the PSU.

who cares...

You might find that fans labelled as 135mm, in actuality, are measured by their distance from screw hole to screw hole, instead of edge to edge. If that's the case then pull out the ol ruler and test it, no need to open the power-supply ;)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Haha, thanks. :P

Maybe you just have to look at the back of the fan. There are usually some specs written on it. I think the most important part is getting a silent fan with a square frame that fits the drill holes. So I'd say a noctua or a noiseblocker would be great. Also be aware that you need to cut the new fan's wires and solder them to the old wires in the PSU.

Or run the fan to a MB fan header?

I have a V850 myself and its fan was rather loud. I replaced it with a NF-P12. 

I was talking about sanding the sides of a fan that is (possibly) too big to fit into the PSU. The diameter of the fan blades is under 135 mm but the actual fan measures 140 mm.

No, it wouldn't fit. I would recommend just getting a quieter 120mm and finding another way to mount it either with mounting tape, glue, or zipties.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.