Squarespace / Web Hosting

Go to solution Solved by Dredgy,

@Albatross they are indeed two different things. GoDaddy is a great Domain registrar but a very limited host lacking a multitude of features. Site like host gator or hostmonster will allow you to register a domain with your accoun but it's best to keep them separate, so that you can have control of your domain of hosting fails.

The privacy you refer to is called "WHOIS" privacy and usually costs $3-$5 a year on top of the domain cost, though Name.com usually has a coupon code for it for free. I've never had to pay for it.

For a forum you need access to databases, and FTP. Some hosts do include a free web installer but they often use out of date software and arent recommended.

Forum software is plentiful - MyBB is a great free option, whereas IPB or XenForo are good paid options. Steer clear of vBulletin. Installation is usually pretty straightforward these days.

I'd love to go into more details, but am out travelling at the moment and stuck on a phone, I will be back in three of four hours if you have more questions.

Hello,

I couldn't figure out where this would go. I first thought Networking but I figured that was for hardware, not stuff like this. I apologize if I placed this in the wrong place @ mods/admins.

Okay, I have been looking for a hosting site for a while now that is good (that doesn't share GoDaddy standards of "good"), cheap as I can get it and allows privacy off the bat. I keep getting referred to Squarespace but for the life of me I cannot find the answers to these questions;

• Does it secure my information against strangers? (anonymous information instead of my name)
  • What are the prices? I'd hate spending 10$+ a month for shtako + privacy security.
  • Can I buy a domain and host a forum on it?
  • If the answer to the above is yes; is it possible to move a forum or site from another host to squarespace? If the answer is no; how do I install a forum software onto a domain?

I also was suggested to look at 1and1 for the cheapest hosting that provides privacy off the bat, but I have never heard of this site so I'm a bit reluctant. The price, 12$ for 12 months, sounds real good right now. If neither of these sites fit my needs, do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks for reading! :D

p.s

No, it isn't a tech forum/website. It is going to be a small community for close friends and some other things. :P

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

First of all you need to understand the domian (yoursite.com) is different to the hosting where you actually host the site which the domain then points to.

Squarespace doesn't provide the ability to host a forum so you will need to get your domain and hosting elsewhere. You can get these from the same company but I prefer to keep them separate. So to answer your questions:

1) This is possible with some domains but will cost more on top of the standard domian price.

2) This varies massively on what domain you want and the hosting provider you use. For example I use 123-reg for my domains which range from £3.49 per year to £54.99 per year.

3) No, you need a hosting package for this. Take a look at someone like http://www.hostgator.com/for cheap hosting but don't expect great customer service.

4) Once you have hosting many providers supply 1-click install tools to quickly get forum software like phpBB installed and configured

@Brenz

Thanks for the reply!

I'm an idiot...I did not know any of that! I thought it was all together, like GoDaddy—simple and clean. So I need a hosting site + a site to buy a domain from? Geez. I went this entire time thinking hosting gave domains for "free" (with hosting purchase) and that it was a lot easier than this. :lol:

So I need this "hosting package" and hostgator has such an option? I'll check out the website right now, thanks for linking. Are there any other sites that provide what I need/would prefer? Does 1and1 have a similar option? I'd really prefer one site to get both, for simplicity.

(sorry if my questions are stupid. )

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

@Albatross they are indeed two different things. GoDaddy is a great Domain registrar but a very limited host lacking a multitude of features. Site like host gator or hostmonster will allow you to register a domain with your accoun but it's best to keep them separate, so that you can have control of your domain of hosting fails.

The privacy you refer to is called "WHOIS" privacy and usually costs $3-$5 a year on top of the domain cost, though Name.com usually has a coupon code for it for free. I've never had to pay for it.

For a forum you need access to databases, and FTP. Some hosts do include a free web installer but they often use out of date software and arent recommended.

Forum software is plentiful - MyBB is a great free option, whereas IPB or XenForo are good paid options. Steer clear of vBulletin. Installation is usually pretty straightforward these days.

I'd love to go into more details, but am out travelling at the moment and stuck on a phone, I will be back in three of four hours if you have more questions.

@Dredgy

I understand, thank you for the help you provided either way though. :)

If you can I do have more questions.

You say "when hosting fails"....is it a bad idea to get both from the same place because if hosting goes down (site closes or something) I also lose my domain name or do you mean something else...? If by "down" you mean for a few hours or something, I don't mind that. This will be for private usage anyways, so I won't have to worry if it is down for a day or so.  I also don't mind installing the software myself, as I have done it a few times with various forum stuff (without the 1-click to install option on Godaddy, as that hardly ever worked).

*Yes, that WHOIS thing is what I am referring to. I'd rather not allow strangers to know where I live and things like that. Godaddy wants to charge me 9$ per domain for the privacy option, which is absurd since some offer it free or for cheaper.

@Albatross

When I refer to hosting going down I am partially referring to hosts going defunct and then absconding without giving you a way to redirect your domains, Not a problem you'll have with HostGator which is very well established. A problem you might have with HostGator though is moving the domain away from them - if you need to change hosts for whatever reason (they don't have specific features or the like) they might not allow you to point your domain to somewhere else without changing registrars (and domain transfers cost money). So for safety reasons, it's best to have a fail safe - if something happens to either registrar or host, you don't lose everything. I actually had a domain registrar a few years ago actually steal many of my domains, so stick to the big names - Name.Com or Godaddy and a few others.

Of course, if you don't intend to expand, it's probably not that important.

If you use Name.com, you can use the coupon PRIVACYPLEASE to get free Whois though.

@Dredgy

I really appreciate the help. I know I might be frustrating to answer questions to because I don't get these things easily, so I appreciate sticking around. :)

Oh, not that important (moving and stuff), I don't plan to expand or run businesses, or anything like that. Okay, anyways...! Name.com wants 10.99$ for .com registration per year  + the 1year free WHOIS protection for 3.99$ normally. That's the domain. Then if I do hosting else where, that's around another 7-10$ a month. So the steps would be like this if I did separately, right?

• Buy 12 months of hosting from 1and1 for 12$
  • Buy domain from name.com for 10.99$ a year (that per year price is actually really good though) + 1year free of WHOIS protection.

Correct? If it is, then it is only a matter of finding some cheap options for both and then going through with it. :D

@Albatross - essentially yes :)

If you are comfortable with getting a combined bundle, and it's cheaper, do that. But I've been burned too many times in the past, and require some pretty specific domain features, so would never do it myself.

@Albatross - essentially yes :)

If you are comfortable with getting a combined bundle, and it's cheaper, do that. But I've been burned too many times in the past, and require some pretty specific domain features, so would never do it myself.

I would be comfortable with it if it wasn't set at an outrageous price or they had some resemblance of support available.  I am coming off of GoDaddy soon so I wanted to see what is on the market for me to switch to, but it looks like most of the hosting sites set about the same price. Domain registration is cheaper at some places though and most other options offer a way better deal with WHOIS protection (especially name.com) so there is that to consider, which are two of the most important things right now.

Alright, thanks for all the help Dredgy, you saved me a potential waste of money and time if I had just gone and bought something. :lol:  I think I will stay with GoDaddy for now since they have a 42% off for the Economic Package (3.99$ a month + 3.99$ for WHOIS if I use a coupon).

I will now marked this as solved! :D