New DJI firmware to prevent drone from crossing international border and restricted airspace

ahhming

DJI is planning to release a firm ware that will prevent drone from flying if its is inside of restricted  airspace or preventing it from crossing the international  border.

This was done because recently there have been cases where drugs was delivered using drone between border.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296655-drug-delivery-drone-crashes-in-mexico/

Also another case where a DJI drone crashed into the White House lawn

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31023750

Chinese drone maker DJI is planning to release a firmware update so its drones will no longer be able to fly inside of restricted airspace in Washington, DC. The update would also prevent aircraft from crossing the US-Mexico international border, after two recent high-profile incidents.

source:

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/43302/dji-drones-fly-near-white-house-again-following-crash/index.html

Wonder how many hours will take the dealers to crack that and have them flying across the border again.

Probably not many. See, though! Companies can do stuff without the government telling them to! Not that this won't prevent a law requiring these kinds of restrictions, but it's nice seeing companies take initiative.

Wonder how many hours will take the dealers to crack that and have them flying across the border again.

At least with the release of new firmware, DJI can't be made accountable for future occurrences and they'll likely avoid some legal headaches.

Build Logs

Project "Oh No" | Ice Pack | Secondhand | MicroP

If only we had something like this to prevent Obama from using drones left and right.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

If only we had something like this to prevent Obama from using drones left and right.

Or some sort of firmware update for him and the rest of the government that would make them actually do their jobs right.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Huh neat. Shame if you're in like europe or something where crossing a border is no big deal.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Your better off jamming signals in a restricted airspace then...

From my understanding it's not really legal to block communication, nor is it very safe (if you don't have it setup properly, the quadcopter or whatever could just fall out of the sky, potentially injuring someone or damaging something), and it's kind of hard to control the blocking of signal (prevent it from leaking out and affecting other devices).

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I think ill skip the next firmware update >.>

I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.288V                 Corsair Vengeance 12GB Cas8                          Overclocker Thug life
MSI-Gaming-7                                       Corsair Sandforce GT 120gig                             http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R2Jb6h   (Current Build)

OCZ Vertex2 60gig                               Corsair F60 60gig

vQ1qmSF.jpg
what a proper welcome. Youve scared a new member for life now

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

No more drug smuggling drones from my compatriots then? Wait, what am I saying, we're also fucking talented at cracking firmware for computer electronic devices as well I'm sure they'll figure it out

-------

Current Rig

-------

I am not too fond of this since I have gotten into recording airshows from in the air level with the planes. 

Yes I do get permission to do o ahead of time.

I guess legally the company is secured. but come on guys, it's just software :D

SPAAAAAACE!!!

Does anyone think like i do? in order to do that restrict if it tries to go to other countries the Drone needs GPS check from the company that produces it,else how would a drone that doesnt have GPS know where the hell its at?so they can monitor anything you do with a drone in other words?if it has gps..

From my understanding it's not really legal to block communication, nor is it very safe (if you don't have it setup properly, the quadcopter or whatever could just fall out of the sky, potentially injuring someone or damaging something), and it's kind of hard to control the blocking of signal (prevent it from leaking out and affecting other devices).

Its a felony to jam communications. No way around it. 

I am not too fond of this since I have gotten into recording airshows from in the air level with the planes. 

Yes I do get permission to do o ahead of time.

People who are better at flying get around this by unplugging the compass from DJI flight controllers. No GPS lock? No coordinates. No coordinates? Restricted airspace database becomes useless. 

Its how I'm getting around for shooting an event later this summer. DJI puts a very healthy exclusion zone, but I have permission from the venue to film so I am flying without any GPS/compass assistance at all. I'm quite good at flying now, combined with a gimbal, I can still get steady video without the stabilization that the GPS gives. 

Does anyone think like i do? in order to do that restrict if it tries to go to other countries the Drone needs GPS check from the company that produces it,else how would a drone that doesnt have GPS know where the hell its at?so they can monitor anything you do with a drone in other words?if it has gps..

The flight controller has a constantly updated database of restricted airspace. The DJI flight controllers require you to calibrate the system whenever you are in a new area. This is when the flight controller pings the GPS satellites (6 minimum for stable flight) and if its in the exclusion zone, it won't power on. 

How do you get around this? Unplug GPS. You have to fly entirely manually now of course, but you can now fly. 

Also, you can't track systems based on that. The GPS simply pings the satellites and gets its own coordinates. The GPS satellites don't track and store where each request comes from, if they did the system would break. To track movement you ned something that is actively broadcasting its location all the time, like a GPS beacon. 

Its a felony to jam communications. No way around it. 

People who are better at flying get around this by unplugging the compass from DJI flight controllers. No GPS lock? No coordinates. No coordinates? Restricted airspace database becomes useless. 

Its how I'm getting around for shooting an event later this summer. DJI puts a very healthy exclusion zone, but I have permission from the venue to film so I am flying without any GPS/compass assistance at all. I'm quite good at flying now, combined with a gimbal, I can still get steady video without the stabilization that the GPS gives. 

I guess that would work just wish that I would not have to do it. Wish I could just fly, hell I have to get a government permit for an upcoming shoot so that should be enough to allow me to fly anywhere the permit allows. 

The new DJI models have this "feature" where if you dont have the latest firmware within 2 weeks of release the device is rendered inoperable.

• 4 weeks later...

Humans are one story, but drones? Why? Who even cares? They don't even do anything except fly around and record video or take pictures. God forbid they cross the border, they'll do some SERIOUS damage to the security of the United States.

I'm not SAV1OUR. I promise. | Number of successfully bricked phones: 1 Samsung Galaxy S5 | 01001001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100001 01101110 00100000 01100101 01101100 01100001 01100010 01101111 01110010 01100001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01110010 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101110

Humans are one story, but drones? Why? Who even cares? They don't even do anything except fly around and record video or take pictures. God forbid they cross the border, they'll do some SERIOUS damage to the security of the United States.

Airspace is a serious thing...