a network for 2

killaDZA

OK so I live in an apt with 2 other people and we all use the same router to access the same internet account. (same username and pass) So as far as what I have read, that is a network right? (question #1)

So I actually have a pc and a MacBook pro (mid 2010 13") in my room. What I want to accomplish is to be able to file sharing, streaming, steam, etc between my two computers but at the same time keep the other two roomates from being able to access them. Is that possible and how? (question #2)

When I view my network and devices over win 8.1, under the COMPUTERS heading, I see my pc, my macbook, and "MYSHARE" (what is that?) Under MEDIA DEVICES ,I see my pc media player and "mymedia" and under Network infrastructure I see "jungo Openrg internet gateway device" WTF?

Anyway, since I cant see my roomates computers does that mean they cant see mine? I need someone to really break this down and do a step by step if possible. if your just gonna say,"i use and ftp," don't bother, that doesn't help. I am looking for actual in depth, descriptive knowledge and ANSWERS to my questions. not just what you use,

and ftp isn't for what I want anyway. thanks, DZa

Requesting a basic rundown on all things network here might not be the best way to do it. There are a lot of tutorials on the internet that will teach you the basics of networking. Writing everything down here would produce a less well written and less complete guide because of the time it takes to produce such a guide. So I would steer you towards a guide like this .That should cover the basics for now.

What you are probably just lacking is some google fu (the ability to use the search terms in google that produce the sites with the content you search for).

But to satisfy your first needs just a few explanations in one line:

Do 2 PCs constitute a network? Yes!

Is file sharing between Mac and PC possible? Yes! How? Like this . Use your computers name (as per the tutorial) because your router might give it a different ip after reboot.

MYSHARE? Mymedia? - No clue. Did not encounter such devices. Educated guess: Mac thing or a smart tv

Openrg Internet gateway device? Your router. A gateway to another world, in your case: the internet.

Visibility of computers in the network - As far as I remember the computer has to have network detection (rough translation, I use a German windows) enabled to see other devices and share stuff.

For the in-depth answers I point you again to professional tutorials they know it better and have pictures.