Console Killer PC - Canadian edition

Aniallation

Many people know how to obtain Windows in a way that I will not name here due to forum etiquette.

There's also ways of getting hardware in ways I won't name:p

• 2 months later...

linux on a gaming rig? Im just saying you cant claim a Pc is sub 400$ or whatever, without including some form of OS. not even for me, but for some random guy who is very limted funds, goes to build a pc for gaming, spends all his money on hardware, then realizes he cant even get windows. someone whos never bought a computer before would never think of it. just saying you cant ignore something that you literally need to use a pc. have to address it in someway. 

There are decent games for Linux CS:GO, Metro 2033 and Dota 2 comes to mind. 

There are decent games for Linux CS:GO, Metro 2033 and Dota 2 comes to mind. 

and theres some GREAT games for a xbox. halo, and foriza come to mind. see, it goes both ways. 

also, dont necro old threads. I see your new here! hello. Be sure to look around a bit, if you do need a pc, we can surely help. If you want a budget build, id recommend a alienware alpha while its on sale for 400$. I almost bought one, then decided I was going to spend more lol. well, wish you the best of luck with the fourm!

well, you can just steal a xbox. that way its free also.

linux on a gaming rig? Im just saying you cant claim a Pc is sub 400$ or whatever, without including some form of OS. not even for me, but for some random guy who is very limted funds, goes to build a pc for gaming, spends all his money on hardware, then realizes he cant even get windows. someone whos never bought a computer before would never think of it. just saying you cant ignore something that you literally need to use a pc. have to address it in someway. 

windows 7 cost literally only 15$ if you know where ot buy so yeah + it's legal .... if you did this mistake of building a pc without any os cause you spent everything on hardware you can actually use the trial version of windows for like 4 month to wait for more cash than buy it I don't see a real issue here 

and theres some GREAT games for a xbox. halo, and foriza come to mind. see, it goes both ways. 

also, dont necro old threads. I see your new here! hello. Be sure to look around a bit, if you do need a pc, we can surely help. If you want a budget build, id recommend a alienware alpha while its on sale for 400$. I almost bought one, then decided I was going to spend more lol. well, wish you the best of luck with the fourm!

always more value to build it yourself + it's really fun and really offer satisfaction when finally the system power up + it offer some form of knowledge on how the shit actually work and give you an overview of how your gonna take care of it. if you're super scared you can always give your budget to the forum let the people fight for a little take the best build than ask a friend to build it for you ^^ the problem with xbox game is that even when buying second hand 20 bucks per game is super costly

Many of my friends with consoles have a garbage PC to use for schoolwork and stuff. Why not just combine the cost of the two and get something that's better at doing both gaming and productivity? 

For me this is the most compelling reason that PC gaming is cheaper than console gaming. Most people only take into account the cost of the console and demand you make a PC for £350. OK you can do it, and actually you can pair a G3258 with a 260X for that price, but realistically these people are going to be combining a £350 console with a £300 crappy desktop. If you decide you're going to buy two devices for each of these things, why not then just combine them and spend £650 on a pc? That would blow any console out of the water, and you still get your word processor and stuff.

I would, however, insist on people including an OS with these builds. It's not a subjective thing, you're pretty much going to have to go with Windows. I would love to champion Linux here and how awesome it is for free, and for productivity it so is, but Steam's library is still so tiny. I hope this changes, but right now Windows 8.1 is the only OS that makes any sense, and that costs about £76. Unless you buy a key form G2A where it is cheap because there's a high probability of it being stolen, greymarket sites make me generally uncomfortable. You may as well pirate it yourself if you're going to go that route.

For me this is the most compelling reason that PC gaming is cheaper than console gaming. Most people only take into account the cost of the console and demand you make a PC for £350. OK you can do it, and actually you can pair a G3258 with a 260X for that price, but realistically these people are going to be combining a £350 console with a £300 crappy desktop. If you decide you're going to buy two devices for each of these things, why not then just combine them and spend £650 on a pc? That would blow any console out of the water, and you still get your word processor and stuff.

I would, however, insist on people including an OS with these builds. It's not a subjective thing, you're pretty much going to have to go with Windows. I would love to champion Linux here and how awesome it is for free, and for productivity it so is, but Steam's library is still so tiny. I hope this changes, but right now Windows 8.1 is the only OS that makes any sense, and that costs about £76. Unless you buy a key form G2A where it is cheap because there's a high probability of it being stolen, greymarket sites make me generally uncomfortable. You may as well pirate it yourself if you're going to go that route.

True.

My pc is not a gaming Pc without the gpu because the i5 is decent for productivity and snappy.

The only gaming part is the gpu really , take it out and its a bog down normal pc you see on cubicles.

You will need a computer anyways , you can add a gpu later and look its a "gaming pc" now .

True.

My pc is not a gaming Pc without the gpu because the i5 is decent for productivity and snappy.

The only gaming part is the gpu really , take it out and its a bog down normal pc you see on cubicles.

You will need a computer anyways , you can add a gpu later and look its a "gaming pc" now .

In your case that's true enough, you have a decent i5. If I were making a pure productivity machine for my needs or most people's I would have no problem going Pentium or even Celeron. I've been playing around with a HTPC this weekend with a G3258 (at stock and overclocked) and 4GB RAM and Kubuntu has been frankly laughing at it. It's so snappy, it's snappier than my i7 gaming PC in general tasks. It uses about 0.5GB RAM idling, as opposed to the 3GB Windows uses on a good day. It's made me re-evaluate the need for an i3 in a basic PC, at least if you're going to use a more streamlined OS than Windows, but if I were to transform this in to a HTPC I could game on natively instead of using Steam I would look to more than just a GPU upgrade.

Going Slightly Off Topic:

I don't get all the whole PC vs Console thing. I personally like both, but if you're talking about graphics alone, then yeah, of course PCs have better graphics, naturally. :)

It's more a discussion on what one should get on a tight budget or in general, if you have to choose. It's also due to pc players being slightly annoyed that sometimes games don't get to pc or get ported terribly for no reason other than the fact that there's no way consoles would sell a single unit otherwise.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

While I agree with you mostly, most people forget it depends on your situation. 95% of teenagers and young adults(people who have to pay for a gaming machine, but cant really afford one GENERALLY) have a laptop or a desktop. Now, if you have a desktop or need one, its a different story. most people I know, already have a laptop, so they have no need for a desktop. Granted, some people will need a new computer anyway.

something people need to remember, building a computer just isnt possible for some people. most people cant change their oil, or replace a alternator(hint, its just 3 bolts and a belt). in that sense, its wildly easier then building a pc, yet most people cant. 

for the cost, now it also depends on your situation. me and my two  brothers right now want to play call of duty. whats cheaper, a xbox+2 more controllers, or 3 PCs capable of running the game?

I think thats what people need to understand. Theres times PCs can be cheaper, IE, the long run if you plan to play many games. and theres times consoles are cheaper, if you have a lot of people that want to play, and time it would take for set up+research would take away from time you could be working/productive, or you only want a few AAA games. 

that on the xbox, never once having driver issues, screen tearing, or random crashing is also nice. but having higher res textures on my PC is also nice. see? it just depends. and thats what people need to understand. Thank you for not being one of those crazies who thinks linux is a comparable platform for gaming just yet. let alone the driver issues right now. 

something else people need to remember, someone who doesnt know much about PCs, dont know these forums even exist. or that linux even exists. Cant just assume everyone has the same knowledge about something as you do

-snip-

I've seen consoles crash enough time for me to discount that as an argument. They also stutter and I've seen screen tearing caused by disgustingly low framerates. I also don't think ignorance is much of a response. If someone buys a 60s VW Campervan because they are literally ignorant of the existence of more economical, more modern vehicles that cost less to maintain, does that stop being true? No, it just means that they spent more than they needed out of ignorance.

I am all for bringing back split screen multiplayer as an option for PC games as well as LAN and Internet. Some of us have very big monitors or TVs attached to our PCs, it would be nice to have the option even if it's not the default. I'm hoping this might come about as a result of steamOS.

I've seen consoles crash enough time for me to discount that as an argument. They also stutter and I've seen screen tearing caused by disgustingly low framerates.

I only had my xbox one for a week, but I never once seen a screen tear or crash, and only stuttering once. 

Now, I have had my amd drivers decide to currupt themselves. games not start, Pcs take a hell of a lot more maintenance. 

more pc games need splitscreen. theres a mod that lets you run multiple instances of minecraft, but running 5 instances(most i done) of minecraft all at 60 fps and modded is pretty bad ass. 

knowing the existence of cars and random websites on the internet are two wildly different things. 

I only had my xbox one for a week, but I never once seen a screen tear or crash, and only stuttering once. 

Now, I have had my amd drivers decide to currupt themselves. games not start, Pcs take a hell of a lot more maintenance. 

more pc games need splitscreen. theres a mod that lets you run multiple instances of minecraft, but running 5 instances(most i done) of minecraft all at 60 fps and modded is pretty bad ass. 

knowing the existence of cars and random websites on the internet are two wildly different things. 

I've watched mum play Skyrim on her PS3 quite a lot, that game runs piss-poorly. Consoles are not immune from the problems dogging PC games -- the only difference is when they fuck up there's sod all you can do about it.

And I know they're different. My point is that being ignorant about a better option doesn't mean that that option isn't better. Most people could save a lot of money by doubling up their PCs and consoles into a single device.

My point is that being ignorant about a better option doesn't mean that that option isn't better. Most people could save a lot of money by doubling up their PCs and consoles into a single device.

Its not always a better option though. As a high school/college student, its wildly more expensive to bundle your gaming platform with your computer, as you need a laptop. So its ignorant to assume everyone can/should bundle.

I for one would like my laptop not to be 6 pounds, not cost 1000$+, and not have a 4 hour battery life. If that's ignorant, I apologize

Edit: SOME people could save money by bundling, but its ignorant to assume everyone can/should

Why am I so very tempted to make a bad joke involving GTA in canada, using a hockey stick?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Its not always a better option though. As a high school/college student, its wildly more expensive to bundle your gaming platform with your computer, as you need a laptop. So its ignorant to assume everyone can/should bundle.

I for one would like my laptop not to be 6 pounds, not cost 1000$+, and not have a 4 hour battery life. If that's ignorant, I apologize

Edit: SOME people could save money by bundling, but its ignorant to assume everyone can/should

You're arguing against something I haven't, and no one else has, said.

My point is that being ignorant about a better option doesn't mean that that option isn't better. Most people could save a lot of money by doubling up their PCs and consoles into a single device.

#41 icon_share.png

Its not always a better option though. As a high school/college student, its wildly more expensive to bundle your gaming platform with your computer,

You're arguing against something I haven't, and no one else has, said.

sorry for the formatting issue, but Im arguing that actually the majority of the time, its not cost effective to bundle. that was my point, which is disagreeing with what appears to be your main focus 

Im more then open to a debate, and so far you have done so without just blatant insults which is nice. 

#41 icon_share.png

Its not always a better option though. As a high school/college student, its wildly more expensive to bundle your gaming platform with your computer,

sorry for the formatting issue, but Im arguing that actually the majority of the time, its not cost effective to bundle. that was my point, which is disagreeing with what appears to be your main focus 

Im more then open to a debate, and so far you have done so without just blatant insults which is nice. 

You've highlighted one case in which it isn't, which is people whose "crappy desktop" isn't actually a desktop but a laptop which they require for mobility. OK, but that's one example of someone who couldn't really consolidate into one PC that did everything (without spending much more money than a PC and a console together). I'm not sure how this one example equates to "the majority of the time".

well, you can just steal a xbox. that way its free also.

Linux is getting there. About a 1/4 (i think) of the Steam catalog of games is on Linux.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

You've highlighted one case in which it isn't, which is people whose "crappy desktop" isn't actually a desktop but a laptop which they require for mobility. OK, but that's one example of someone who couldn't really consolidate into one PC that did everything (without spending much more money than a PC and a console together). I'm not sure how this one example equates to "the majority of the time".

Okay. yes, thats one example but lets look at it a new way. most PC gamers go overkill for the budget we are talking about. ($800+). we arwe talking about sub 500-600$ pcs. correct?

I assume we can also assume that MOST gamers tend to be young. as in sub 25. yes they are exceptions, but for the majority. and we can agree that under 25 are the people most strapped for cash. teens and college students are the focus of budget gaming pcs the majority of time. 

curious if you would agree with that so far. 

now, in that majority age group, that example I said would apply. I would also hope we can agree that anyone can buy a console, but not everyone can build a PC. Yes it is easy, yes it doesnt take that long, but not everyone can do it. The girls in my high school I game with, if they didnt have me and my guy friends, they would never of had gaming Pcs. My mom phyiscally couldnt build a pc. My friend would rather drop 3K on a macpro rather then build a high end pc. 

Yes, I know thats not everyone, but SOME, and quite a bit of people refuse to build a pc, no matter how much it would save them. its just a fact. those are the same people that if I told them a alternator costs 30$, or you could pay 150$ to have someone do it for you, they would still have them do it for you. and literally no one but Pc gamers even know what steam is. so good luck getting gifts from family

my point with that is I have friends who because of that have a console. and I sold my dual 7970 rig because its a hell of a lot more fun to play with friends, then play with yourself with nice graphics. 

also, oh friends. lets say I have 3 other friends. a xbox is 350. a game is 60, and each controller is 60. so we are at 350+240=590 for 4 player split screen with one game then 15$ a person per game afterwards. thats a hell of a lot cheaper then 4 seperate PCs. I did all the math in a thread, not sure if this one or not, the whole thread is old. 

I would go PC gaming if I only played by myself, and never had to leave one spot. 

granted, it would be stupid to get a console if you had to do work from a desktop, such as video work, or got to work from home, because then you would want decent set up anyway. 

Linux is getting there. About a 1/4 (i think) of the Steam catalog of games is on Linux.

I havent looked into it recently, are those triple AAA games like what you can get on a console? because if so then yes it would be comparable. if its mostly indie games, then I wouldnt say it would be comparable, but would be cool to get alongside with a console. a cheapo pc with low end hardware for indie games, then a xbox/ps4 to play triple A games with friends. I was going to do that, but then got a decent deal on a high end pc lol. 

another thing to remember that was huge for me growing up, people dont like to just get money. but for christmas, its easy to ask for games. I know for Christmas as a family we got 6-8 games. because when its for the console its for the family, and everyone can enjoy it/justify a larger purchase. 

snip

Only some of the recently released AAA titles are on Linux, and there are many indie games on Linux. It's not comparable yet, but in a year or two it'll be much better.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

Only some of the recently released AAA titles are on Linux, and there are many indie games on Linux. It's not comparable yet, but in a year or two it'll be much better.

see what I originally planed on doing, was xbox for gaming with friends/friends come over. because lets be honest, when friends come over we want cod or halo. they dont want to learn something new. 

then a cheap pc for indie games, because they tend to be really lightweight, and could get away with a super cheap pc. 

see what I originally planed on doing, was xbox for gaming with friends/friends come over. because lets be honest, when friends come over we want cod or halo. they dont want to learn something new. 

then a cheap pc for indie games, because they tend to be really lightweight, and could get away with a super cheap pc. 

That makes sense

That makes sense

then I suckered myself into dropping 650 on a pretty decent system. and now I havent even gotten it yet and looking at gpu upgrades.

thats why people should stick to consoles. avoid the addiction  

Okay. yes, thats one example but lets look at it a new way. most PC gamers go overkill for the budget we are talking about. ($800+). we arwe talking about sub 500-600$ pcs. correct?

I assume we can also assume that MOST gamers tend to be young. as in sub 25. yes they are exceptions, but for the majority. and we can agree that under 25 are the people most strapped for cash. teens and college students are the focus of budget gaming pcs the majority of time. 

curious if you would agree with that so far. 

now, in that majority age group, that example I said would apply. I would also hope we can agree that anyone can buy a console, but not everyone can build a PC. Yes it is easy, yes it doesnt take that long, but not everyone can do it. The girls in my high school I game with, if they didnt have me and my guy friends, they would never of had gaming Pcs. My mom phyiscally couldnt build a pc. My friend would rather drop 3K on a macpro rather then build a high end pc. 

Yes, I know thats not everyone, but SOME, and quite a bit of people refuse to build a pc, no matter how much it would save them. its just a fact. those are the same people that if I told them a alternator costs 30$, or you could pay 150$ to have someone do it for you, they would still have them do it for you. and literally no one but Pc gamers even know what steam is. so good luck getting gifts from family

my point with that is I have friends who because of that have a console. and I sold my dual 7970 rig because its a hell of a lot more fun to play with friends, then play with yourself with nice graphics. 

also, oh friends. lets say I have 3 other friends. a xbox is 350. a game is 60, and each controller is 60. so we are at 350+240=590 for 4 player split screen with one game then 15$ a person per game afterwards. thats a hell of a lot cheaper then 4 seperate PCs. I did all the math in a thread, not sure if this one or not, the whole thread is old. 

I would go PC gaming if I only played by myself, and never had to leave one spot. 

granted, it would be stupid to get a console if you had to do work from a desktop, such as video work, or got to work from home, because then you would want decent set up anyway. 

Most of those people buy a £300 PC (which you could build yourself for £200, but whatever), and then they get a console for £350. If you to to NCIX or PCSpecialist you can have someone build a very competent PC for £600+labour+margin for that. You don't have to know how to build your own PC at all. I didn't when I got my first gaming desktop, that came later.