Monitor Tech, what is best for future?

Sharp_3yE

I want a nice discussion about types of panels and what you find to be the future of what the landscape of monitors will be? What technology will be use? Oled, these new ips type monitors that can do 120 hz? Of course there will be variable refresh but what do you find to be the best display tech for gaming, photography, video production, movies?

Hmm, i don't know enough about this, but I'd say Oled will take the cake :P

I Look forward to reading the rest of this discussion . 

What do you think OP? 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Most IPS panels having a 1 ms response time.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Most IPS panels having a 1 ms response time.

The response time figures that you're quoting are completely useless, just saying.

OLED would be amazing once they figure out all the issues that it has right now, especially the whole life-time of the individual colours. If I can have an OLED monitor that runs 12 hours a day for 5+ years without being affected then the tech is ready IMO. 200+Hz, low persistence, deep blacks, great colours and amazing contrast, yes please.

The response time figures that you're quoting are completely useless, just saying.

How so?

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

How so?

"1ms response time" as you see it on boxes or in a spec sheet are absolutely useless figures. It doesn't specify if that's g2g or black to white, it doesn't specify the testing methodology and it doesn't factor in many other parts of the equation. Monitor manufacturers basically make those numbers up, they're completely useless. My "10ms" monitor is actually faster overall and has less ghosting than many 5ms monitors.

"1ms response time" as you see it on boxes or in a spec sheet are absolutely useless figures. It doesn't specify if that's g2g or black to white, it doesn't specify the testing methodology and it doesn't factor in many other parts of the equation. Monitor manufacturers basically make those numbers up, they're completely useless. My "10ms" monitor is actually faster overall and has less ghosting than many 5ms monitors.

But if we could actually have IPS monitors with a 1ms response time, like ACTUALLY 1ms, it would be great. I'm not saying it's highly important, it would just be nice if we could have it.

But if we could actually have IPS monitors with a 1ms response time, like ACTUALLY 1ms, it would be great. I'm not saying it's highly important, it would just be nice if we could have it.

1ms... Is that g2g or black to white? Is that total response time (which factors in input lag and all kinds of other shenanigans) or is that for the raw panel? You see, that's the exact point I'm making here: Just saying 1ms is meaningless. Even if you have a panel with 1ms response time the electronics behind it could still be so slow that it's useless for gaming. Even the best gaming monitors out there with their 144Hz panels have a total response time of 7+ ms usually.

Also, OLED wipes the floor with IPS. If we want the best technology and the best panels possible in the future that's what we should be looking at really.

1ms... Is that g2g or black to white? Is that total response time (which factors in input lag and all kinds of other shenanigans) or is that for the raw panel? You see, that's the exact point I'm making here: Just saying 1ms is meaningless. Even if you have a panel with 1ms response time the electronics behind it could still be so slow that it's useless for gaming. Even the best gaming monitors out there with their 144Hz panels have a total response time of 7+ ms usually.

Also, OLED wipes the floor with IPS. If we want the best technology and the best panels possible in the future that's what we should be looking at really.

OLED is great, but isn't it not super color accurate as compared to IPS? Or am I just confused?

OLED is great, but isn't it not super color accurate as compared to IPS? Or am I just confused?

OLED has the potential for great colour accuracy as well. Also, you only really benefit from colour accuracy on an IPS display if it is of exceptional quality and if it has been calibrated professionally, and those displays usually cost 1000+ USD. You don't get the usual "washed out" colours like TN, even with cheaper IPS monitors, but actual 100% colour accuracy isn't that important for most people. I went with PLS for the viewing angles and for the "better" colours, not for absolutely perfect colour accuracy. It's definitely relevant for some people, but not really for me (and for most people tbh).

OLED would be amazing once they figure out all the issues that it has right now, especially the whole life-time of the individual colours. If I can have an OLED monitor that runs 12 hours a day for 5+ years without being affected then the tech is ready IMO. 200+Hz, low persistence, deep blacks, great colours and amazing contrast, yes please.

I second this. I would absolutely love to see and own and an OLED monitor. I've seen the display tech in person and it is A M A Z I N G ! B)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

OLED, easily. Color accuracy has been an issue on individual displays but it's not an inherent problem with OLED technology. Just poorly done products.

I would love a 3x 27" 1440p OLED monitor setup :D. How 'bout you?

4096x2560 man :D That's where it's at! Except Windows. That's not where Windows is at. I'm sure it will eventually get there though! I believe in you Microsoft  :rolleyes:

Heck, 4096x2560! Haven't heard of that resolution. What kind of monitor would have that kind of resolution?

Heck, 4096x2560! Haven't heard of that resolution. What kind of monitor would have that kind of resolution?

It's a 16:10 resolution, not really in use (although there has been one monitor with it). But it gives you a 4K-class resolution with 16:10 aspect ratio and support for 4096x2160 content without scaling ;) So personally I think it's quite ideal.

It's a 16:10 resolution, not really in use (although there has been one monitor with it). But it gives you a 4K-class resolution with 16:10 aspect ratio and support for 4096x2160 content without scaling ;) So personally I think it's quite ideal.

Sounds good mate! I bet you'd love 3 of those in a setup. Although, GPU power to push such a resolution, that is 12,288x2560, would be crazy. Who knows how many GPUs in SLI/CF you'd need to handle that resolution smoothly.

Sounds good mate! I bet you'd love 3 of those in a setup. Although, GPU power to push such a resolution, that is 12,288x2560, would be crazy. Who knows how many GPUs in SLI/CF you'd need to handle that resolution smoothly.

I think I'd just play on the center one. I can't stand not having my chat clients and hardware monitors out of view :P I'd be fine with two but you know, the more the merrier :D

I think I'd just play on the center one. I can't stand not having my chat clients and hardware monitors out of view :P I'd be fine with two but you know, the more the merrier :D

Well, that's probably best because I'd imagine you'd need more than 4 GTX 980s in SLI to handle that resolution in gaming.

Yeah, I always say the more the merrier too. I'm planning a 3x 27" 1440p IPS monitor setup for mainly video editing as its my main hobby, but I'll be chucking some gaming in there to. You don't wanna be a boring old fart and not game I say! :D LOL

This is obviously for a planned build as my current HP pre-built PC would be choked by trying to handle that kind of resolution. :D LOL

I'm just gonna hop in my TARDIS, go into the future where OLED monitors already exist and bring some back, anybody want me to bring them a couple back? :D JK

id say a 5000x2000 resolution on a curved 100hz OLED with freesync range from 0-100hz would be a perfect replacement for any triple monitor setup, but thats just me... and a single current 290 would handle all the games i want to play on it

oh and i want a 3000x2000 resolution with the same specs for my laptop

... thats all Santa

EDIT:

Oh, and obviously its all 100% flicker free ^^

id say a 5000x2000 resolution on a curved 100hz OLED with freesync range from 0-100hz would be a perfect replacement for any triple monitor setup, but thats just me... and a single current 290 would handle all the games i want to play on it

oh and i want a 3000x2000 resolution with the same specs for my laptop

... thats all Santa

Sounds good to me. :D

Sorry, Santa's left for the year, he won't be back till the 24th of December 2015 this year. :D LOL

I feel like immediately those 120hz IPS based panel (IPS tech but it's called like wide viewing something something) is a wonderful option.

This is my dream set up for monitors:

LATER in the future (in a year maybe 2 or so) what I'd like is a ultra wide, OLED, curved monitor that is 120hz or 144hz, OF COURSE variable refresh and at least 3440x1440. N with that monitor I'd also have a second monitor that is 3:2 aspect ratio, maybe 18-24 inches in portrait mode that also has a touch screen off to the side and somewhat close so I can play a game and watch/read something off to the side and scroll up and down and select things with my finger so I don't have to use a mouse.