Google Fiber is going out of its way to make rival ISPs miserable

google-fiber.jpg?w=625

Some people might wonder why a lot is being posted about NN and ISPs (and their shenanigans). Well, wonder no more. Because things like this are very important to the tech industry (and other industries) and it is my opinion that people need to care about things like this and no be apathetic. 

Plus, we get to witness corporate smackdowns like the one Google is happily delivering to other ISPs with their rollout of their Fibre services. I love that they are essentially goading the ISPs into rising up to their taunts with respect to T2 reclassifications. 

Sure, Google has a excellent track record of starting a lot of interesting ventures and then just giving up, I'd like to think that NN and their pursuit of being a ISP (if only to get other ISPs to smarten up) will last and will be taken seriously. 

“The sort of open Internet rules that the [Federal Communications Commission] is currently discussing aren’t an impediment to those plans and they didn’t impact our decision to invest in Fiber,” Google told the Post in a statement.

This isn’t the first time that Google has made waves with its statements about reclassifying ISPs as utilities under Title II of the Telecommunications Act. Earlier this year, the company told the FCC that reclassifying broadband providers under Title II of the Telecommunications Act would have a big side benefit for Google Fiber because it would give Google Fiber the same access to utility poles and other key infrastructure currently enjoyed by Comcast, AT&T and other big-name ISPs.

Essentially, Google seems to be daring other ISPs to slow down their network buildouts if the FCC reclassifies them under Title II. After all, doing so would just help drive more customers to Google Fiber in the future, especially if Google plans to keep aggressively expanding the service’s reach.

http://bgr.com/2015/01/29/google-fiber-vs-comcast-att-net-neutrality/

Until then I have 330/110 for 60 bucks a month :)

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

Nice, so that basically means even without Fiber Google can step in and pretty much take over. I don't care if Google only gives me a 50 MB line it's still miles better than what TWC is offering. Bring on the Google Broadband.

Google

I'll suck your G+ if you bring fiber to Fort Wayne, Indiana 

;)

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I think that's been googles whole point of fiber. Is just push these other idiots to give users what we should have already had. I don't think they really intended to have to actually deploy nationwide but at this point that looks like what will have to happen

The snack down that about to happen if everything goes down the way Google wants will have a big impact on other mayor isp profit margin they hold so dear. Which will force them to actually do something for once to protect it or minimize their losses and I'll happily watch them running around with their heads cut off.

Google

;)

That will never happen. My little brother speed skates in Fort Wayne for big meets, and good lord is there nothing to do in that town...

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

That will never happen. My little brother speed skates in Fort Wayne for big meets, and good lord is there nothing to do in that town...

oh we have stuff

shutup! 

Ima go cry

seriously though you are right. Like 250k people here and towns with half the population are twice as interesting. 

Thankfully stuff like office space is cheap as hell here. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

im happy with my 100mb down TWC account. dont need google fiber

im happy with my 100mb down TWC account. dont need google fiber

TWC needs competition however, which is what Google is giving.

People are going "Google is cool, Google is a good company" but who knows, once the big players are out they might start monitoring your usage start becoming the new Comcast. ONLY local ISP's could help you and how would you know there not with doing deals with Google. Competition is good that's when change happens but you guys are saying you WANT them to take over the Fiber service Industry. I mean with out AMD trying to be awesome (save all da moneys) Intel would turn into a slob and release what they want, when they want and raise prices. You wouldn't be able to do shit. I'm not saying stick to Comcast but at least keep the competition going  

LOL LIMEWIRE

TWC needs competition however, which is what Google is giving.

If google wants to build their own fiber network, more power to them. You know TWC isn't going to let them use their cable hardlines that they have built/paid for.

south america please our internet sucks more than yours mostly i have 1/0,5.

If google wants to build their own fiber network, more power to them. You know TWC isn't going to let them use their cable hardlines that they have built/paid for.

Hence why we need to fight for net neutrality. The fiver lines have existed for years and gone unused. With regulation forcing TWC to give Google access for a fair market price, TWC will be forced into direct competition, which is good for Joe consumer.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

south america please our internet sucks more than yours mostly i have 1/0,5.

I have 1d/0.2u.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Google

;)

Your Fort Wayne too. 

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

Your Fort Wayne too. 

250k people with nothing to do. 

muh specs 

All parts black

250k people with nothing to do. 

lol it is lame here. 

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60