[Question] GTX 970 3DMark benchmark score help

isurvivorz
Go to solution Solved by SteveGrabowski,

Ah nice, thanks for all the feedback, I was always suspected that my i5 is a bit behind, which puzzled me considering the i5 lines are very, very good for gaming and as far as I can see, it can handle any GPU that is thrown at it up til now, perhaps I will upgrade to an i7 in the near future, again thanks for all the feedback guys!

11000 graphics seems about right for a stock 970. Here is mine at stock (EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0):

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/5725759

My graphics is slightly higher than yours since the EVGA SC models come with a bit higher of a factory overclock, but you might end up with a better overclock overall than I do by using MSI Afterburner. My physics score is higher because a Xeon E3 is really similar to a locked i7 (there are a few small differences like no integrated graphics, ECC memory support, lower TDP). You can probably really juice your physics score up with an overclock.

I wouldn't upgrade an i5-4690k for a long time. It's a monster gaming CPU and you have a pretty killer system.

Hi, so I finally decided to benchmark my system with 3DMark Firestorm and this is the result.

Is this normal for this setup? None of the components are OC, all stock.

CPU: i5 4690k @ Stock no OC
GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 970
GPU Core: 1,114 MHz
GPU Memory: 4,096 MB

Score: 8979
3DMark Link: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3941375

Yep. That's normal.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Hi, so I finally decided to benchmark my system with 3DMark Firestorm and this is the result.

Looks like a damn healthy score to me.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Yeah, your score is normal. I've got about the same score on my 970, in the graphics section.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

That's a normal score. About 11000 graphics score for a factory overclocked GTX 970 is what one should expect. You need an i7 or a good overclock on your i5 to improve the physics score.

Ah nice, thanks for all the feedback, I was always suspected that my i5 is a bit behind, which puzzled me considering the i5 lines are very, very good for gaming and as far as I can see, it can handle any GPU that is thrown at it up til now, perhaps I will upgrade to an i7 in the near future, again thanks for all the feedback guys!

11000 graphics seems about right for a stock 970. Here is mine at stock (EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0):

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/5725759

My graphics is slightly higher than yours since the EVGA SC models come with a bit higher of a factory overclock, but you might end up with a better overclock overall than I do by using MSI Afterburner. My physics score is higher because a Xeon E3 is really similar to a locked i7 (there are a few small differences like no integrated graphics, ECC memory support, lower TDP). You can probably really juice your physics score up with an overclock.

I wouldn't upgrade an i5-4690k for a long time. It's a monster gaming CPU and you have a pretty killer system.

you need to overclock you cpu to 11, to get a really good score.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

That score is normal for stock speeds but a bit on the lower side due to the stock i5. No worries you can OC all of it get better scores.

EDIT: Look here, that´s our LTT official 3D Mark thread ;).

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/212222-ltt-3dmark-thread/

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciated it all, as for OC, I probably won't OC my CPU anytime soon, perhaps maybe a year or 2 down the line, but I wanna keep my stuff as "stock" as possible.

I kinda, sorta, and half regretted getting the ASUS STRIX variant, it clock speed ain't impressive to any standard, it only have ONE, yes, ONE 8-pin power plug, so extreme or even high OC aren't even an option, and it came with literally no extra goodies, like, I mean nada, zero, you get the card and ASUS' OC software, that's it, THEY DIDN'T EVEN INCLUDE A MANUAL GOD DAMN IT!!!! not that anyone would read them lol.

But on the upside, the ASUS STRIX is such a good looking card!!! I couldn't resist D: