GTX 980 or R9 290X? Please advice

Hey guys...so I was on to building my first real gaming rig (had a HP Compaq 6200 system with i3 processor before this) and almost everything

was sorted out...I was gonna get the much-recommended GTX 970 from MSI. Then a bomb was dropped : the 3.5Gb memory problem. That was

such a turn-off for me so I decided to get a new system first, then add the GPU later, so that I can save up enough to go for

the monster MSI GTX 980.

The second bomb was dropped on me just a few hours ago : AMD cuts prices across it's GPU lineup to cash in on the GTX 970 problem.

Saw their "4GB MEANS 4GB" tag line as well...hee hee.

Now here's the question :  I'm not really sure if the price drop among AMD cards (especially the R9 290X) will reach markets outside of the US

(where I live), and if it does, when. But I'd be sure to grab the 290X if the price cut is too steep.

Now I'm not the kind of person who keeps changing their hardware every year (I need my setup to stay relevant for atleast the next 2-3 years) so

I'm willing to go for the GTX 980 if it really offers performance much better than 290X. But if it's not worth it (in light of price cuts), I'd go for the

290X. So here's where I need some advice.

As I said, I planned for the 980 and I've got enough cash for that...but only if it's worth that extra over the 290X ?? Would I be wise to go

after 980 as a longterm solution or would the 290X really be enough?

--

Here are the other stuff I planned out for my PC :

Intel Core i7-4790K processor

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard

Cooler Master K380 case

Western Digital Black 2TB SATA HDD

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD

Asus DRW-24D3ST optical drive

Antec VP650P SMPS (650 watts)

Corsair H80i processor cooler (liquid)

Cooler Master SickleFlow X 120mm air cooling fans ( x3 - 2 in, 1 out)

Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1866 DRAM

LG 27MP75H-M 27" LED-backlit monitor (IPS panel) 1080p

1000va UPS

And also...would the higher power consumption of the 290X require me to change my PSU to something better? Like a 750W or something?

1. The GTX 980 does not have the problem the 970 has

2. The 980 is better

3. Get the MSI R9 290X lightning if it's substantially cheaper than the GTX 980

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

At this point, just wait for AMD's next gpu release, it's the best idea, especially if you don't have the other parts yet.

Either way, whatever happens do NOT buy a gtx 980 with the current pricing. It's not even CLOSE to being worth twice the price of a 290x. And it's not worth the extra money over the gtx 970 either, memory problem or not. Don't buy it, it's a complete and utter waste of money.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1. The GTX 980 does not have the problem the 970 has

2. The 980 is better

3. Get the MSI R9 290X lightning if it's substantially cheaper than the GTX 980

Yeah, I know the 980 doesn't have the problem.

So if I can afford a 980, go for it?

Depends on the price really

R9 290X if quite a bit cheaper, otherwise if you think the price difference is not significant enough then go 980

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

A 290X Lightning is cheaper than a GTX 970, if you need a GPU right this moment get that instead of a $550 GTX 980. If not, wait for what AMD's 300 series brings.

$300 after rebate, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127787&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

A 290X Lightning is cheaper than a GTX 970, if you need a GPU right this moment get that instead of a $550 GTX 980. If not, wait for what AMD's 300 series brings.

Yeah...I guess that should be wise. I'd be getting the GPU only after February anyway.

At this point, just wait for AMD's next gpu release, it's the best idea, especially if you don't have the other parts yet.

Either way, whatever happens do NOT buy a gtx 980 with the current pricing. It's not even CLOSE to being worth twice the price of a 290x. And it's not worth the extra money over the gtx 970 either, memory problem or not. Don't buy it, it's a complete and utter waste of money.

Got to agree. 290X > 970 if they are ~ the same price. If the 980 is 50-100$ more then it is worth the cost however if it is > 100 then it's not worth the extra cost.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Got to agree. 290X > 970 if they are ~ the same price. If the 980 is 50-100$ more then it is worth the cost however if it is > 100 then it's not worth the extra cost.

currently it's 300$ more expensive.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Try to get a better case ;)

The place where I live, temps go up to as much as 40-45 degrees Celsius in the summer.

Should I consider any other case in that price range?

Wait for 380x, from what we've been hearing it's supposed to tear the 980 a new one.

For the price of the GTX 980 you can get 2x R9 290x which is better for overall performance, but for a single GPU - GTX 980! :)

"I am like ninja, but less gay" - Deadpool

The place where I live, temps go up to as much as 40-45 degrees Celsius in the summer.

Should I consider any other case in that price range?

Yes! The K380 is an entry level case and it offers a not so good airflow. Try to get a Phanteks Enthoo Pro ;)

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

currently it's 300$ more expensive.

Well either wait until may/june for the 280/X/290/X or buy a tri x / vapor x 290X now :)

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Ever considered gtx 970 sli or single?

Beats the r9 290x.

I do not want to SLI...as i think it would overcomplicate stuff (regarding cooling etc.) and I'd also have to change the case (K380 already has cramped interior).

Yes I did consider single 970 but dropped out from that idea after the 3.5Gb VRAM problem. I don't know if they'll fix it or not.