2x8gb or 4x4gb RAM

Guest SkyFall

Hey guys,

I just want to hear some opinions on my question whether of the following RAM I should choose:

Kingston HyperX Savage DDR3 2x8GB Kit 2133MHz (for 150$)

OR any alse 4x4GB RAM configuration?

(Note that they have to stick underneath my Scythe Mugen 4 on my GA-Z77-D3H mainboard)

Thanks for your answers!

My vote goes for 4x4 because it looks much better and you won't need more than 16 GB of RAM for a while and the next time you upgrade, you will have to get DDR4 anyways.

Edit: except if you plan to use your system for quite a while, like more than 5 years before you upgrade.

who cares...

Your board supports 32GB of RAM, so if you intend to ever use that much, go for the 2x8GB kit. if you're sane, go for the 4x4GB kit. 

While 32GB is nice, even mid-level video editors would have trouble using more than 16GB of RAM. You'd never need more than 16GB for gaming, either. 

My vote goes for 4x4 because it looks much better and you won't need more than 16 GB of RAM for a while and the next time you upgrade, you will have to get DDR4 anyways.

Well, I guess I'd stick with my mobo/cpu config for at least 2 years, but my point is:

Since my mobo only has dual-channel support, it shouldn't make any difference?

Well, I guess I'd stick with my mobo/cpu config for at least 2 years, but my point is:

Since its dual channel go for 2x8gb ,then you get the performance and dual slot and still have spare slots for future upgrades

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I edited my post a little bit. No it won't make a difference.

Do you do video editing or stuff like that? because that can draw lots of RAM and you may prefer some space for upgrades.

In summary: the only advanatge of 4x4 is the better looks. :D

who cares...

4x4 and 2x8 both will work as dual channel memories 

performance wont vary much( if at all)

Since its dual channel go for 2x8gb ,then you get the performance and dual slot and still have spare slots for future upgrades

I edited my post a little bit. No it won't make a difference.

Do you do video editing or stuff like that? because that can draw lots of RAM and you may prefer some space for upgrades.

In summary: the only advanatge of 4x4 is the better looks. :D

I guess I won't upgrade RAM again, since 1155 systems will be quite outdated by 2018 or so.

So I only have to decide whether to go with 4x4GB (which is more expensive and less common here) or 2x8GB (the one I stated in the first post fits under every CPU-Cooler)

I guess I won't upgrade RAM again, since 1155 systems will be quite outdated by 2018 or so.

So I only have to decide whether to go with 4x4GB (which is more expensive and less common here) or 2x8GB (the one I stated in the first post fits under every CPU-Cooler)

Hm if it's significantly cheaper I'd go with 2x8 GB.

who cares...

Hm if it's significantly cheaper I'd go with 2x8 GB.

The main problem I have, is that the most 4x4GB RAMs I found won't stick underneath my cooler, and the ones that do are 50-100$ more expensive.

The main problem I have, is that the most 4x4GB RAMs I found won't stick underneath my cooler, and the ones that do are 50-100$ more expensive.

You could just mount the fan a little bit higher.

G.Skill is anotehr great brand to check out. Especially their Ares series RAM is very low profile.

who cares...

Go with the cheaper option. 16 GB is about as much as you will need on your plattform. Unless you want to get into heavy video editing.

The next time it probably makes sense for you to upgrade performance wise will be around the time the Cannonlake/Zen Architektures are here. And they will be using DDR4.

You could just mount the fan a little bit higher.

G.Skill is anotehr great brand to check out. Especially their Ares series RAM is very low profile.

Go with the cheaper option. 16 GB is about as much as you will need on your plattform. Unless you want to get into heavy video editing.

The next time it probably makes sense for you to upgrade performance wise will be around the time the Cannonlake/Zen Architektures are here. And they will be using DDR4.

I'm now stuck between Kingston HyperX Savage DDR3 2x8GB 2133MHz(HX321C11SRK2/16) and G.Skill DDR3 2133MHz 4x4GB(F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL)

What do you think?

EDIT:

We three could as well speak german ;-)

Edited by SkyFall

I'm now stuck between Kingston HyperX Savage DDR3 2x8GB 2133MHz(HX321C11SRK2/16) and G.Skill DDR3 2133MHz 4x4GB(F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL)

What do you think?

EDIT:

We three could as well speak german ;-)

True, but i want to stick to the forum's CoC, at least in this thread. ;)

The G.Skill kit that you ahve there is very fast, isn't there a slower/cheaper kit? And aren't ripjaws too tall for your CPU cooler? What's the price difference?

who cares...

True, but i want to stick to the forum's CoC, at least in this thread. ;)

The G.Skill kit that you ahve there is very fast, isn't there a slower/cheaper kit? And aren't ripjaws too tall for your CPU cooler? What's the price difference?

I guess that the G-Skills would fit if I mount the fan a bit higher, as it is stated in the scythe-forums.

I only found Kingston HyperX Fury HX318C10FK2/16 2x8gb cl10 1866; but it's only about 10$ cheaper. 

So, since the price difference is so low, I'd either stick with 2133 instead of 1866.

I guess that the G-Skills would fit if I mount the fan a bit higher, as it is stated in the scythe-forums.

I only found Kingston HyperX Fury HX318C10FK2/16 2x8gb cl10 1866; but it's only about 10$ cheaper. 

So, since the price difference is so low, I'd either stick with 2133 instead of 1866.

I would just put the fan higher up. Try it first, but I'd say that's the best solution.

who cares...