Monitor Flickers with DVI cable

Jakie

Good Morning,

I'm having some trouble with my new monitor.  I tried to search if this was a common issue but I found nothing that related to my problem.  The new monitor I purchased was an Asus VG248QE.  I first hooked it up via Dual-link DVI and the bottom of my screen flickers constantly.  I tried finding some drivers for the monitor and I downloaded 1 of them, and it didn't fix the issue.  I updated my video card driver, no changed. And I did a couple of restarts and tried to unplug and re plug and no change.  Then I took a HDMI cable and tried that.  The flickering went away.  So now I'm wondering if its the DVI cable that is faulty, DVI port on my video card, or the DVI port on my Monitor.

*NOTE*  The reason I bought this new monitor was because my old Monitor died (well I thought it did) It turns on when its not connect to the PC, but as soon as I plug it in, the monitor goes black and the LED power light turns off.  This monitor is a Westinghouse that is like 6 years old and has 1 VGA cable and was hooked up the the PC via VGA to DVI connector.

OR 

Is there something about DVI and/or 144hz monitors that I'm not understanding? Certain software or drivers I need?  I kind of figured it was plug and play, but to changes some of the color settings (since reading reviews, many said the "out of the box" picture wasn't that great).  I don't mind playing on HDMI, but if I'm not mistaken, HDMI is only good up to 60hz correct? and I would like to take advantage of 144hz,

MY PC specs. 

Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB

Intel Core i5-4670K Processor (6M Cache,3.40 GHz)

Asus Intel Z87-K,Atx Socket LGA 1150 Mobo

12gb Ram

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Jake

what if you use VGA will it flicker?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.