Looking for new headset/headphones + mic

I currently have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s and a crappy Zalman Clip on mic. I'm looking at upgrading both and I needed some opinions. The max I'd likely spend is probably around $300. 

Option 1 is a Blue Snowball + a ~$200 pair of headphones

Option 2 is a Headset (something like Audio-Technica ATH-AG1 or ATH-ADG1)

I know the M50s are meant to be good headphones and they have lasted really well and sound quite good but I just can't have them on my head for extended periods of time (even with velour replacement pads). After maybe an hour or so the cups hurt my ears and just get quite uncomfortable.

Any recommendations would be a great help,
Cheers!

Option 1 is the better choice.  You can get the Snowball + AD500x/700x, hell even a 900x, for less than the ADG1, that's what I'd recommend but mileage may vary with the 3D-wings.  Shop around for headphones you might like.  

HD558/598, DT770, DT990, K612, and Q701 are all good buys.  Think about what kind of music you listen to and what kind of sound you want from your cans, than maybe we can give you more definite recommendations.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Sorry about that I should have provided more info :P I intend to use these for both listening to music and for gaming. When it comes to sound signature I like headphones with good bass but obviously not so extreme that mids and highs turn to crap. In terms of music genre I like to listen to a large variety of different genres so a good all-round pair of headphones would be great.

You recommended the AD900X which are the open backs correct? I'm guessing the A900X is the closed back variant? Also I live in Australia so it's a little harder than America and Europe to audition headphones but I'll trial as many as I can. Are the A900X a big upgrade from the M50s in terms of sound quality and overall comfort? because I really want something quite substancially more comfortable than my M50s. Because of Blue Snowballs being $100 here, AD900X being $250 and A900X being $300 I'll likely be buying from US Amazon and just shipping them here because it will still save me a ridiculous amount even after international shipping.

Thanks for the recommendations I've heard good things about the 558s,598s and DT770s but I'll take a look at all the rest. Hopefully some of what I've added helps.

So I've really looked into a lot of these now and I'm still having quite a hard time choosing between DT770 80 Ohm, A900X, AD900X, K702, HD598 and Fidelio X1. Is there any of these that really stand out for the price? I'm definitely looking for some that have cups that aren't so shallow and bigger would be nice too. Is the DT770 one of the better choices in this list and is a decent improvement in SQ and comfort over the M50?

Personally, I'd grab a K612, especially given that you said:

I intend to use these for both listening to music and for gaming. When it comes to sound signature I like headphones with good bass but obviously not so extreme that mids and highs turn to crap. In terms of music genre I like to listen to a large variety of different genres so a good all-round pair of headphones would be great.

My second choice would be the 770 if you want something with more bass.