i5 for bf4

Ok after many discussions i have been told to avoid 2 cores for battlefield so I was wondering, first would I drop fps getting a 2 core on a r9 280, and also which i5's are overclockable. I should also mention I am from the Uk so any links to shopping stuff make sure to use the right domain.

Ok after many discussions i have been told to avoid 2 cores for battlefield so I was wondering, first would I drop fps getting a 2 core on a r9 280, and also which i5's are overclockable. I should also mention I am from the Uk so any links to shopping stuff make sure to use the right domain.

overclockble i5s are 4670k and 4690k, but even a locked cheap i5 like a 4440 will be good at that game

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

I only can stretch to about £150 for cpu

i5-4440 then 

What's your total budget for the entire system? And does that budget include an OS/monitor/peripherals? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

i already have my mouse headset keyboard os monitors so im fine there and by budget is/was 450 up to 500 now

i already have my mouse headset keyboard os monitors so im fine there and by budget is/was 450 up to 500 now

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£131.20 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: MSI H81M-E34 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£38.17 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£54.69 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  (£149.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (£31.43 @ Aria PC) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£38.52 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £479.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-29 17:55 GMT+0000

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

get the i5-4440 with the cheapest H81 motherboard you can find, get a single 8GB stick of DDR3 RAM (any speed, not important for gaming) that way you can upgrade to 16GB in the future if needed (most cheap H81 board only come with 2 dimm slots that's why i say that) and get the best AMD GPU you can afford with the rest of the money after you've considered a cheap case with correct airflow and a cheap but 80+ bronze PSU from a known manufacturer (corsair are usualy cheapest in the UK...CX500 for example is usualy cheap. EVGA has cheap but good unit as well)

EDIT: Nevermind @djdwosk97 ninja'd me on this...go with his build it's perfect it's exactly what i had in mind...best performance per dollar right there.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Please remember websites like aria are glitchy on pc partpicker and also do not show delivery which is usually a extra bit a money

Please remember websites like aria are glitchy on pc partpicker and also do not show delivery which is usually a extra bit a money

Well, you can knock off another £20 off by going with a motherboard and case that does NOT have front panel USB 3.0:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3WT2YJ

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Why avoid i3 for example ? It has HyperThreading, making it virtually a quad core.

Why avoid i3 for example ? It has HyperThreading, making it virtually a quad core.

i5 is better than i3 in every scenario, hyperthreading =/= cores. 

Yes the i3 is much better than the G3258, 860k, FX4300, FX6 (in games), but not better than an i5. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Hyperthreading only allows the same cores to work more efficiently they are not substitutes for real cores, and not all games or programs utilize them. When utilized properly, they give a +30% boost or so to "speed" (for example, a 3.5GHz i7 as far as OBS and x264 is concerned is equivalent to a 4.4GHz i5 from the same family). But the i5 will have more actual cores, which will be better than a +30% boost. And better for the games/programs that don't use it.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Hyperthreading only allows the same cores to work more efficiently they are not substitutes for real cores, and not all games or programs utilize them. When utilized properly, they give a +30% boost or so to "speed" (for example, a 3.5GHz i7 as far as OBS and x264 is concerned is equivalent to a 4.4GHz i5 from the same family). But the i5 will have more actual cores, which will be better than a +30% boost. And better for the games/programs that don't use it.

But in worst cases i3 loses to i5 just by 5 fps max.

But in worst cases i3 loses to i5 just by 5 fps max.

no absolutely not...it's way more than that when you play modern cpu intensive online multi-threaded AAA titles man...a LOT more than that in many cases...the i3 is a good match for a mid-range GPU and a core i5 is a match for higher-end cards.. simple as that...you won't pair an i3 with a GTX 970 for example.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR