Shorted power supply/ Dead pc? HELP? o.O

Go to solution Solved by nj4ck,

It's happened before and nothing else ever got damaged. What would be a good PSU?

A $20 chinese PSU with a supposed 750W rating is like a hand grenade with the pin pulled. You never know when or why its going to blow up or just stop working or fry your components, but its going to happen sooner or later. I recommend just staying away from those things. Good PSUs would be anything from Corsair above 600W, Silverstone ST60F-ESB or the EVGA 600B, for example. All are good PSUs and fairly affordable.

Yeah you're right the amps are way to low

But actually my psu says it has 38a in the 12v and from what I can find the gpu only needs 32a?

Reports differ from 30 amps to 48 amps. I'd stay safe and assume it needs 48. Even if it only needs 32 amps, I'm pretty sure your PSU isn't even getting close to that, no matter what it says on the box. The thing with these cheap PSUs is that they never actually perform anywhere close to what the manufacturers say they will do. Some of them have been known to have fake components made of cardboard and cement inside, just to make them look like there's any performance parts in there.

I just got a new gpu (listed) and I was doing some light stress testing by playing low end indie games for long periods of time just to break everything in and suddenly my pc just shuts off and won't turn back on again. If I turn the power off and on again and then try to power it up it gives me a short burst to all fans and led's for about half a second and then dies again. The led's on the mobo are still on and working. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP THIS IS ABOUT THE FIFTH TIME THIS SHIT HAS HAPPENED TO ME IN THE LAST MONTH. Everytime It happened I would just buy a new psu and it would run fine for two days and then exactly the same thing would happen sometimes with some static crackling from the psu just before it turned off. I have a 750 watt psu which should be ample power for the entire rig at full load. Please help I don't know what to do I had it checked and the it guy said it was a faulty gpu which I knew was bullshit but I was gonna upgrade anyway so I did and now it's happened again. Just for easy use here are my specs >Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X OC<>Amd FX 4170 (I know it's shit and bottlenecking the gpu It's getting upgraded)<>ASUS M5A97 R2.0<>8 gigs of vengeance ram (don't remember exactly the model)<>Never had a high end psu but there's no way I got 5 faulty ones in a row< Any help would be greatly appreciated :wacko:  

I had this issue once, my PC would keep shutting off with a loud click from the power supply after I had installed something or messed around with it in any way. Turned out to be a slightly bent socket pin making bad contact, which would trigger the PSUs anti-short protection and cut the power instantly.

Is everything plugged in? Is your outlet good? Did it work fine before the new GPU?

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Well you will need a new power supply I would think. When mine died it took everything but ram hdds and fans out with it. This might not be a issue for you but i think you will need a new psu.

There might be a broken, or slightly messed up connection that can be causing an issue with the PSU, maybe check if there are bent pins on any of your connections within the computer.

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

I had this issue once, my PC would keep shutting off with a loud click from the power supply after I had installed something or messed around with it in any way. Turned out to be a slightly bent socket pin making bad contact, which would trigger the PSUs anti-short protection and cut the power instantly.

Yes but mine now won't turn back on?

Pulse power 750w

There you have it. That is a teir 5 PSU that I quote "Tier Five - Replace immediately. These units are NOT recommended for any system, no matter the purpose. Reference to higher tiered models for a better and potentially money-saving unit "

-http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

Steve

There might be a broken, or slightly messed up connection that can be causing an issue with the PSU, maybe check if there are bent pins on any of your connections within the computer.

But it was running fine for two days before it died?

But it was running fine for two days before it died?

I'm not sure, but anything could be possible :/ What is the brand of the PSU?

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

I'm not sure, but anything could be possible :/ What is the brand of the PSU?

It's a shitty pulse power 

Yes but mine now won't turn back on?

this is IMO one of the worst issues you can have, since troubleshooting is so difficult. What I did last time was completely take apart my PC, visually inspect every part (I missed the bent pin, could have saved me a lot of trouble) and then put it back together. Start by only connecting the essencial parts. CPU, motherboard, PSU and just one DIMM of RAM, nothing else. Put it together outside of your case, on a cardboard box or something similar. See if it posts. If it doesn't, switch to a different DIMM of RAM, if you have one. If it still doesn't turn on, you've at least narrowed the issue down to CPU, PSU and motherboard. If it does post, keep going piece by piece until you pinpoint the faulty part. 

this is IMO one of the worst issues you can have, since troubleshooting is so difficult. What I did last time was completely take apart my PC, visually inspect every part (I missed the bent pin, could have saved me a lot of trouble) and then put it back together. Start by only connecting the essencial parts. CPU, motherboard, PSU and just one DIMM of RAM, nothing else. Put it together outside of your case, on a cardboard box or something similar. See if it posts. If it doesn't, switch to a different DIMM of RAM, if you have one. If it still doesn't turn on, you've at least narrowed the issue down to CPU, PSU and motherboard. If it does post, keep going piece by piece until you pinpoint the faulty part. 

This^

Right now this is the best thing you could do, or you could risk it by going to a higher grade PSU, I assume you're getting all your replacements under warranty, so I hope you haven't had to re-buy the PSU each time. Because you should just be contacting the people you're buying it from and saying that it keeps breaking so you want to return it for your money back and then go for a better PSU and see if that solves the issue.

you're running an R9 290, you need a better PSU. With these cheap POS-things they'll often say 750W on the sticker but in reality won't be able to deliver anything close to that. They also tend to have very low amps on the 12V rail, which means that your GPU could be killing your PSU. The R9 290 requires a minimum of 48 amps on the 12V rail, I doubt your PSU can handle that.

I just did some googling on the Pulse 750W, I can't even find any info on how many amps the 12V rail is rated at. Do not attempt to run that PSU with an R9 290. You're lucky if you haven't already fried any of your components or burnt your house down. Cheap chinese PSUs are an absolute no-no.

Okay so where are the best places to start checking pins? And where did you find the bent one in your's? i also noticed a slight burning smell before it shut down 

Okay so where are the best places to start checking pins? And where did you find the bent one in your's? i also noticed a slight burning smell before it shut down 

yeah no forget the pins, I just noticed what kind of PSU you have. That PSU is not nearly enough for an R9 290. Just because it claims to have 750W doesn't mean its any good. Its a cheap chinese POS and I can guarantee that it can't provide 48 amps on the 12V rail for your 290. refer to my previous post, I hope you haven't fried any of your other components.

yeah no forget the pins, I just noticed what kind of PSU you have. That PSU is not nearly enough for an R9 290. Just because it claims to have 750W doesn't mean its any good. Its a cheap chinese POS and I can guarantee that it can't provide 48 amps on the 12V rail for your 290. refer to my previous post, I hope you haven't fried any of your other components.

It's happened before and nothing else ever got damaged. What would be a good PSU?

you're running an R9 290, you need a better PSU. With these cheap POS-things they'll often say 750W on the sticker but in reality won't be able to deliver anything close to that. They also tend to have very low amps on the 12V rail, which means that your GPU could be killing your PSU. The R9 290 requires a minimum of 48 amps on the 12V rail, I doubt your PSU can handle that.

I just did some googling on the Pulse 750W, I can't even find any info on how many amps the 12V rail is rated at. Do not attempt to run that PSU with an R9 290. You're lucky if you haven't already fried any of your components or burnt your house down. Cheap chinese PSUs are an absolute no-no.

But actually my psu says it has 38a in the 12v and from what I can find the gpu only needs 32a?

A $20 chinese PSU with a supposed 750W rating is like a hand grenade with the pin pulled. You never know when or why its going to blow up or just stop working or fry your components, but its going to happen sooner or later. I recommend just staying away from those things. Good PSUs would be anything from Corsair above 600W, Silverstone ST60F-ESB or the EVGA 600B, for example. All are good PSUs and fairly affordable.

Reports differ from 30 amps to 48 amps. I'd stay safe and assume it needs 48. Even if it only needs 32 amps, I'm pretty sure your PSU isn't even getting close to that, no matter what it says on the box. The thing with these cheap PSUs is that they never actually perform anywhere close to what the manufacturers say they will do. Some of them have been known to have fake components made of cardboard and cement inside, just to make them look like there's any performance parts in there.