Schiit Modi as Standalone DAC?

Jack H

I don't understand the question...  The Modi IS a DAC with RCA output.  If your question is if it's a good DAC, then yes, it's a very good one. 

No.

The Modi outputs line level, which is not intended to drive a load. You'd be wasting your money if you get it without an amp.

No.

The Modi outputs line level, which is not intended to drive a load. You'd be wasting your money if you get it without an amp.

Be wasting your money if you got it at all. 

You have to use amp not only DAC, to drive a headphone. So if you want a schiit modi, might as well get schiit magni (although I recommend schiit modi uber over normal modi)

No.

Don't forget, there was a guy a while back that swore he can use Modi as a standalone product to drive a passive device, and the sound is great....

Don't forget, there was a guy a while back that swore he can use Modi as a standalone product to drive a passive device, and the sound is great....

Good for him. Fact remains that the Modi has 75 ohms output impedance and no guarantee of minimum output power so potentially nasty distortion could occur trying to drive a headphone with it.

If the OP wants/needs an external DAC but doesn't need a lot of ampification then the Fiio E10k or Schiit Fulla are obvious options.

Good for him. Fact remains that the Modi has 75 ohms output impedance and no guarantee of minimum output power so potentially nasty distortion could occur trying to drive a headphone with it.

If the OP wants/needs an external DAC but doesn't need a lot of ampification then the Fiio E10k or Schiit Fulla are obvious options.

Yeah, that guy insisted that the Modi alone is good enough to power headphones. Despite I pointed out that it has 75 ohms output impedance, he kept insisting he got good sounds from it to his SE215.

The topic is buried somewhere, I'll search more later.

Never had that issue with the HP's i tried with it, the only thing I noticed is you get distortion when turning the volume knob

Never had that issue with the HP's i tried with it, the only thing I noticed is you get distortion when turning the volume knob

The Modi doesn't have a volume knob...

The Modi doesn't have a volume knob...

I should have put in the Magni  in that but even still I had no problems with the Modi

I should have put in the Magni  in that but even still I had no problems with the Modi

Running headphones directly from the Modi? I'm not sure you're fully aware of what we're discussing here.

Running headphones directly from the Modi? I'm not sure you're fully aware of what we're discussing here.

Didn't say anything like that...I'll reword it "I didn't have any distortions or anything coming from the Modi but I did with the Magni when turning the volume knob" OP will need a amp if he gets a Modi which is fine for entry level

Didn't say anything like that...I'll reword it "I didn't have any distortions or anything coming from the Modi but I did with the Magni when turning the volume knob" OP will need a amp if he gets a Modi which is fine for entry level

Only entry level, eh.

Only reason really to spend more than a Schiit Stack or O2/ODAC combo is if you want to get tubes.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Only reason really to spend more than a Schiit Stack or O2/ODAC combo is if you want to get tubes.

Yeah they will do almost all HP's, I think the most it struggled with was with a Orthodynamic driver but it was still comfortable listening levels  

Yeah they will do almost all HP's, I think the most it struggled with was with a Orthodynamic driver but it was still comfortable listening levels 

Nonsense, the Magni has more than enough power to drive planars. Planar magnetic drivers are a purely resistive load, and if they got loud enough then by definition the amp wasn't "struggling".

Nonsense, the Magni has more than enough power to drive planars. Planar magnetic drivers are a purely resistive load, and if they got loud enough then by definition the amp wasn't "struggling".

In what part of that sentence did I say it wasn't enough power you obviously take thing out of context so I am going to ignore you

In what part of that sentence did I say it wasn't enough power you obviously take thing out of context so I am going to ignore you

Smart move.

No.

Alright, thanks.

Smart move.

Persons are ignoring you? Time to diffuse through osmosis? 

Persons are ignoring you? Time to diffuse through osmosis? 

Sure, if that's another word for fuckin'

Sure, if that's another word for fuckin'

If you were to think about it, it kinda is.