building a home storage server

TheGingerKid97

My friend and i are considering doing a youtube channel, but neither of us have enough space to store massive amounts of videos

so i have an old case, 8gb ram kit, power supply and ram kit. i was thinking have it as a server (so items from any pc can be dropped on it, and taken of it)

but i need a mother board, and a cpu ( already decided on a ssd for boot drive, and decided we will put a few wd reds in)

what would be a good on the cheap motherboard and cpu for a small home server, but will handle a few (by a few i mean 4-6 wd red drives, and an ssd boot drive)???

For a file server an i3 should be fine in most cases but board wise is up to you. Did you want raid cards/ on board raid at all?

Really the cpu doesn't need to be powerful if it is just a file server.  The main issue will be if you want a raid card or just hook everything into the mobo directly.  If you don't want an addon card, just find a mobo that will have enough SATA ports.  If you are willing to get an addon card (all you could ever need is $50-100 card), than the mobo is not really as important.  Really, if you aren't doing business or enterprise class workloads, anything will work.

I think you need to be a little more worried about your network than the mainboard. Don't try to set this up for a wireless connection, and make sure you've got gigabit switches. Also make sure that your router has gigabit ports on it as well or it'll slow any traffic that needs to bridge across it to a crawl.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

My friend and i are considering doing a youtube channel, but neither of us have enough space to store massive amounts of videos

so i have an old case, 8gb ram kit, power supply and ram kit. i was thinking have it as a server (so items from any pc can be dropped on it, and taken of it)

but i need a mother board, and a cpu ( already decided on a ssd for boot drive, and decided we will put a few wd reds in)

what would be a good on the cheap motherboard and cpu for a small home server, but will handle a few (by a few i mean 4-6 wd red drives, and an ssd boot drive)???

Hey TheGingerKid97,

As the guys mentioned, you wouldn't need that much power from the CPU. A regular i3-class or a AMD equivalent of it should do the job. As for the motherboard, as long as it has enough SATA ports and it supports the desired RAID type, you should be good to go. If not, you could get e dedicated RAID card. 
Great choice with the WD Red drives. :) 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

so guys, im thinking holding the server off. as im currently considering a 5930k, 32gb ddr4 and a 2nd 970 strix for projects (tafe work, rendering for youtube, and for a possible project of attempting game building.) im thinking if i up to a 1000w evga g2 supanova put my asrock z87 board and i5 4670k in the server (as its heaps fast, and 16gb ram for fast and many uses) would this be smart? and then use my h100i liquid cooler for the server, and run a bigger aio cooler on the 5930k, or possibly, my first water cooling loop.

Our wireless router is getting repositioned tomorrow morning (friday for australia) and we get all new gigabit ethernet ports in the bedrooms. so both my pc and the server will have their own ethernet ports, so that shouldnt be an issue.

raid card doesnt bother me, as the board i have now has 8 sata ports and a usb 3.0 port internal, so ill use the usb 3.0 for something like extra random usb device for just file dump or something like that, and then 1 sata for ssd, the rest for the hdds.