Laptop for Offsite Video Rendering and Offloading

MblaZe7run

So, I recently purchased a GoPro Hero 4, and I'm looking for a laptop to throw in my backpack when I go off the grid. I don't plan on recording any 4k video, but I do need something powerful enough to render and compress when needed, and a bettery life to last me through the process. I also plan on offloading the video every so often so that I can keep recording for extended periods of time. I'd prefer something with solid state storage that way I can offload in the field, and render on the way back home. Currently, I'm looking at a MacBook Pro, mostly because when I used them in the past, the battery life almost felt unreal.

I'm most partial to ASUS and Lenovo when it comes to products, I've always had great customer service by both companies, but I won't refuse other brands (aside from Acer and Dell due to horrible customer service in the past).

Feel free to post any models you feel might fit my needs, I'll actively be doing research based on recommendations from the wonderful LTT forums, and based on findings of my own (which will be fewer as I'm very new to the video scene).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Here's the Mac model I'm looking at:

http://store.apple.com/us-hed/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MGX82LL/A&step=config

I'll be choosing to upgrade the processor the the second tier, and most likely going for the 16GB RAM configuration.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Here's the Mac model I'm looking at:

http://store.apple.com/us-hed/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MGX82LL/A&step=config

I'll be choosing to upgrade the processor the the second tier, and most likely going for the 16GB RAM configuration.

I'm pretty sure more cores will allow for better rendering times, the macbook only has 2 cores and 4 threads. You'll probably benefit more with a laptop that has 4 actual cores and 8 threads.

The battery should be better on a macbook though, compared to others.

Spoiler

CPU intel potato2 | Motherboard xpotato69 | RAM DDRPotato | GPU potato 6969 Ti | Case potato curbiide | Storage WD potato GB grey | PSU lakesonic 69 potato Watts | Display(s)69" 0.5K potato 69*69 | Cooling 4 heatpipe fried potato | Keyboard 69 key potato switches | Mouse yukon gold potato | Sound 6.9 surround potato | Operating System OS69 potato

CPU I7 5700HQ |  RAM 8gb DDR3 | GPU GTX 960M | Storage 1 TB HGST HDD | Display 15.6" 1080p IPS panel | Keyboard Steelseries RGB | Operating System Windows 10

CPU R7 3800x |  RAM 32 GB 3200MHZ DDR4| GPU RX 5700XT Ref. | Storage 1TB m.2 NVME, 2x 500GB SSD, 4TB and 750gb hdd | Display LG 32GK850F-BKeyboard Aorus K7 with reds | PSU Corsair RM750X | Case Corsair 275R | Operating System Windows 10

I'm pretty sure more cores will allow for better rendering times, the macbook only has 2 cores and 4 threads. You'll probably benefit more with a laptop that has 4 actual cores and 8 threads.

The battery should be better on a macbook though, compared to others.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. Again, my entire reason for even considering a Mac is the battery life. If it comes down to it, I have a desktop I'm currently on with an AMD FX-8350 Black Edition and GTX 650Ti BOOST SC (Which I plan on upgrading to a 780 sooner than later, I hope) that I can use strictly as a render machine, then get the lowest of the Retina 13" MacBook Pro models solely for battery life.

I did a bit more research last night, and I haven't found too much to rival the rediculous voodoo magic Apple pulls off with their battery (I guess it could just be that they have a 71.8 watt hour battery in the model I'm looking at). Hopefully I can get some more research in tonight.