Overclocking 290x

PoLoMoTo

So first off what problem is currently the one to use for overclocking?  I first tried Afterburner (it seems like thats the way to go now) but it seemed to crash when I changed some of the settings.  Then I tried TriXX but the current version would crash if I went to the settings tab so I went back to an older version but I kept getting throttled by the power limit which I can't change in TriXX (I did find that I could enable OverDrive with just the power limit all the way up and then apply the overclock in TriXX but this is a cludgy solution to a problem that really shouldn't exist and it causes a host of issues when rebooting).  Never tried GPU tweak, seems like I need to flash my bios to get anything out of it which I don't particularly want to do although I have done it before and have dual bios. 

So I went back to Afterburner and after the crashes changing setting all seems to be well.  However I get blackscreened a few minutes into the benchmark although there were no signs of issues prior.  Also I'm under the impression that when it blackscreens it should only be the graphics that fail and the rest of the system should be fine however mine seems to completely crash, I'm actually beginning to wonder if it's a memory issue as when it reboots from the blackscreen the MemOK feature of my motherboard has a fit although it still boots fine after you enter the bios and just leave the settings.  Oh and the settings I was running in Afterburner were 1155/1500 with +100mv offset on the core voltage.

Thanks in advance for help.

Just in case anyone looks at this in the future, my problem was indeed RAM related, I bumped up my CAS latency from 13 to 14 and now it will go through more than one loop of Valley.  (BSODs but I think that's related to my CPU)  It's weird how overclocking my graphics card brings out so many other issues on parts it isn't even stressing.