wanting to upgrade can't choose between B&W 803D and the Wilson cub 2

Magnold

I've been wanting to upgrade my 24 year old B&W dm 580 and i am having a few problems deciding between two speakers: the Wilson Cub 2 ( which is second hand for the price of 4,500$) and the B&W 803D ( which is first hand for the price of 7,000) i cant seem to decide and i am hoping some of you are able to help me BTW the CD is the krell s350 and the amp is the Musical Fidelity M6i

Have you listened to both yet?

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

I think if you like hi fi that much you should listen to them yourself in a dedicated listening room. As your ears and taste in music define the equipment you buy, take some of your CD's along with you and get a feel for the weight and clarity your looking for. We all could reccomend speakers but your ears are the ones that are going to listen to them all the time.

This also goes for the size of your room you listen to music in, small room you will want stand Mounters with good stands, or bigger rooms demand floor standers, and what are your normal listening levels?

Why do you want to upgrade? your in flagship territory as it is with your set up. If your looking to bring new life in to your stereo, have you got good quality cables? The rule of thumb is cables ideally should cost 20% of what your system did, they will bring out the best of your system.

If your just looking to burn money, take a listen to the spendor A9's, I heard them once they made my hair on my neck stand up.

CPU: I5-4440 / MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z87-DS3H / RAM: G.Skill ripjaws 2x4GB / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 128gb SSD, 1TB WD HDD / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: Xigmatek Aquila / Monitor: Dell U2414H

I think if you like hi fi that much you should listen to them yourself in a dedicated listening room. As your ears and taste in music define the equipment you buy, take some of your CD's along with you and get a feel for the weight and clarity your looking for. We all could reccomend speakers but your ears are the ones that are going to listen to them all the time.

This also goes for the size of your room you listen to music in, small room you will want stand Mounters with good stands, or bigger rooms demand floor standers, and what are your normal listening levels?

Why do you want to upgrade? your in flagship territory as it is with your set up. If your looking to bring new life in to your stereo, have you got good quality cables? The rule of thumb is cables ideally should cost 20% of what your system did, they will bring out the best of your system.

If your just looking to burn money, take a listen to the spendor A9's, I heard them once they made my hair on my neck stand up.

I agree that listening to the speakers is the best way to decide on your own.  I did this and it took a while before I decided what I wanted and even after that I felt I should have gone a different direction.

What I do disagree with in a big way is the notion of spending 20% of the cost on cables.  It's not needed.  Priority of money spent on a system should be Speakers > DAC > amp > room treatment.  You will be just fine with using basic wire for the speakers so long as the gauge meets your power and length requirements and is of quality copper.  I bought a spool from monoprice and then spent money to dress it to look nice with locking cable ends.

I would also give serious consideration to Salk Sound and explore their offerings.  Find a place to listen to a set in the budget area you're willing to spend.  Salk builds very high quality speakers and have been known in the audiophile world as a serious speaker without a seriously inflated price tag (relatively speaking)

Workstation 1: Intel i7 4790K | Thermalright MUX-120 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | 32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866 9-9-9-27 ( 4 x 8GB) | 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HGST 4TB NAS 7.2KRPM | 2 x HGST 6TB NAS 7.2KRPM | 1 x Samsung 1TB 7.2KRPM | Seasonic 1050W 80+ Gold | Fractal Design Define R4 | Win 8.1 64-bit
NAS 1: Intel Intel Xeon E3-1270V3 | SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O | 32GB RAM DDR3L ECC (8GBx4) | 12 x HGST 4TB Deskstar NAS | SAMSUNG 850 Pro 256GB (boot/OS) | SAMSUNG 850 Pro 128GB (ZIL + L2ARC) | Seasonic 650W 80+ Gold | Rosewill RSV-L4411 | Xubuntu 14.10

Notebook: Lenovo T500 | Intel T9600 | 8GB RAM | Crucial M4 256GB

The rule of thumb is cables ideally should cost 20% of what your system did, they will bring out the best of your system.

Cables do not have an effect on sound.

The rule of thumb is cables ideally should cost 20% of what your system did, they will bring out the best of your system.

Oh man, I've been using a $10 cable for my $20 Fiio E6. Guess I should ditch the cable, and find a $4 cable then...

I use sections of a 40' extension cord I bought at Walmart for like $6.  Seriously.  http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/whitelightning/moonshine.html

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

At that price point you definitely would want to audition both if possible. My dad just picked up a pair of 802d's from magnolia inside of best buy and they're really nice about letting you use your own music. I think you may be refering to the 804d they're 7k new, 803d is 10k new , magnolia offered a 13% discount on a new pair of 804d when my dad was looking so you may want to go there and try to get the same deal if theres one near your house and audition it with your own music, I believe it's not discounted online anywhere.

Be careful about listening to speakers. The room has a large effect on the sound. You can listen to two speakers in the same room, but have the speakers at different placement around the room. It's not too surprising for them to sound different than they really do in a controlled environment,.

Oh man, I've been using a $10 cable for my $20 Fiio E6. Guess I should ditch the cable, and find a $4 cable then...

:lol:

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

B&W 803D Hands down if you can get it at that price.

But you'll need a lots of room and avoid placing them at corners.