Sony slowly killing off the PS Vita?

werto165

"Sony has announced that it will end support for the PlayStation Vita's Maps and near features in a forthcoming system update." 

"Maps will be removed automatically as part of a March firmware patch, while near will lose its ability to obtain locations or display maps at all"

I'm not that bothered by this, personally I though having maps was a silly thing to have on a portable game console, just takes up space in my mind. 

"The Vita's YouTube app is also set to be retired. Support will be fully removed from 20th April, although the app will no longer be available to download from today, 28th January."

This is the one that really gets me, I used to love watching YouTube on my vita, the screen on the original console was amazing(The colours, not so much the resolution).

"Vita owners will still be able to watch YouTube clips via their browser, albeit with some minor loss of functionality."

This doesn't cut it for me, the browser on the Vita in my mind is absolutely terrible, super buggy and super slow. 

"However, it's likely that Sony still pays to license the YouTube app for its device - a cost it may be seeking to be cut considering the numbers of customers using it. The same may also be true of its location-based services."

Ok, this makes a little sense, even I, an early adopter of the PS vita has given up watching YouTube on my Vita, my phone is just considerably easier to use than the Vita. Also my phone was actually updated, the YouTube app was literally never updated on the Vita.

Sony just seems to market the PS vita now as a companion device to the PS4, for remote play and streaming of the games. 

Personally I think that is rather stupid, I am not likely to get a PS4(waste of money, lack of quality and quantity of games). 

I just consider my Vita as a device that'll use when travelling to play lots of indie games.

velocity 2x and binding of issac are great games that have come out fairly recently.

Also if you're seriously into the persona games I'd recommend getting one for just that. 

Saucey Waucey: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-28-sony-ending-playstation-vita-maps-near-features

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Slowly? 

It already died when it didn't get any big releases anymore...

Sorry, but the PS Vita was never a well supported handheld.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I remember when they were pushing the PS vita.

I still own my  PSP slim edition that's in pieces because I need to buy a new faceplate after fixing the LCD screen.

I hate seeing old things die off.

blackshades on

Slowly? 

It already died when it didn't get any big releases anymore...

Sorry, but the PS Vita was never a well supported handheld.

I'm not really that bothered by the big releases, the only good big release in my mind was uncharted and LittleBigPlanet. I have had lots of hours of entertainment however playing games that you can't play anywhere else: velocity 2x, Frobisher says(don't hate until you've tried it), LBP(sorta), gravity rush.  Also just playing the ratchet and clank series again god that was good, it was free too. #

I said slowly so it didn't sound too sensationalist. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I was going to buy one when it came out some 3 years ago. I never got around to doing so. I guess you can't miss what you never had.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

I was going to buy one when it came out some 3 years ago. I never got around to doing so. I guess you can't miss what you never had.

I wouldn't really recommend one if you don't travel a lot, when at home I just play games on my PC or xb-1. There are some great games but you've got to be really into independent games if not I wouldn't bother. 

I wouldn't really recommend one if you don't travel a lot, when at home I just play games on my PC or xb-1. There are some great games but you've got to be really into independent games if not I wouldn't bother. 

The thing with Sony is unfortunately they don't have that mass appeal game such as Pokemon or even Super Smash bros. I know so many people who in just the past year bought a 3DS who don't play games at all, just to play the new Pokemon and SSB.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

Did anyone even use the PS Vita?

It seems impossible until it's done.

As a Vita owner i'm not surprised. 

I was too focused for the wapanese market with all the wapanese game out for it. 

Functions good with the PS4 though. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

The thing with Sony is unfortunately they don't have that mass appeal game such as Pokemon or even Super Smash bros. I know so many people who in just the past year bought a 3DS who don't play games at all, just to play the new Pokemon and SSB.

It had great potential but nobody really wanted to develop games for it, it's a shame really. But I guess gaming on the go nowadays is headed mobile(been that way for a while tbh). If I'm being honest the last game I played was velocity 2X, god that game is amazing, that was like at least 3 months ago. 

I used to a lot about a year or two ago, but most of my mobile gaming has been replaced with my phone, with just quick games like Buddy and Me, LYNE, tetris(tetris can be quite long gaming sessions) and super hexagon(all great games btw). It's a great system if you're really into JRPG's or Indie games(I'm into indie games but most of the indie games that are released on Vita, are already on PC and I can have a better experience with it on my PC). 

Yeah it sucks that they are killing functionality but I don't think they will kill it all together

Yeah I used it a whole bunch over the last two summers when I was separated from my rig. But for most people it doesn't make sense to get one

Rig: AMD FX 8350, Asus Sabertooth 990fx, 16gb Corsair Vengence, Gigabyte R9 290 4GB, Noctua NH-12S, Samsung 840 Evo, WD 1TB Black, Corsair C70, Monitors: Samsung Syncmaster SA350, Acer 193w, Mouse: Cyborg RAT 5. Window 7 Pro

Laptop: Asus x75vd, Intel i5 3210M, 8gb RAM, Nvidia 610m 1gb, 750gb hdd

PS2, PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox360