Upgrading OS

haru-

I read online that I cannot uninstall an OS from a HDD if that is the only OS on it. I want to 1. upgrade from windows 7 to windows 8.1 and 2. Install windows 8.1 on a new SSD and then format my old HDD to use up the space for other things. Can someone explain how to do this or if it's even possible (which I assume it is but I can't find a clear explanation anywhere)

You can't uninstall an OS but you can wipe a drive and remove the OS partition.

Create a bootable USB with windows 8, connect your SSD to SATA #0 and plug the USB in.

Install windows 8 onto the SSD, you can then right click on your HDD and choose "format" which will erase everything.

blackshades on

Sounds like you should upgrade your current HD to 8.1, and then clone that to the SSD, then finally format the original drive.

Are you trying to upgrade or install a fresh OS? Upgrading =/= what you just described. What you described = a Fresh install. 

What I would do is disconnect the HDD when you install the SSD. Then install Windows 8.1 to the SSD. Then reconnect the HDD and boot from the SSD, copy your files over, then format the HDD. 

If you want to actually upgrade, then you would clone the HDD to the SSD using some software (I prefer AOMEI Backupper, but their clone feature is now a paid for thing which is sad, version 1.X does it but version 2.X doesn't without the premium). Then just upgrade as normal (whatever the process is for that).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Are you trying to upgrade or install a fresh OS? Upgrading =/= what you just described. What you described = a Fresh install. 

What I would do is disconnect the HDD when you install the SSD. Then install Windows 8.1 to the SSD. Then reconnect the HDD and boot from the SSD, copy your files over, then format the HDD. 

If you want to actually upgrade, then you would clone the HDD to the SSD using some software (I prefer AOMEI Backupper, but their clone feature is now a paid for thing which is sad, version 1.X does it but version 2.X doesn't without the premium). Then just upgrade as normal (whatever the process is for that).

you are right, I do want to do a fresh install

you are right, I do want to do a fresh install

Then you want the second paragraph I wrote:

This should work. Either you can boot from the SSD or the HDD to move your files, but make sure you can access them correctly before you delete them (permissions and whatnot).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

You unable to uninstall the OS. instead of that you can go ahead and format the HDD and use the bootable USB flash drive to install the OS in your SSD.

If you have a Windows 7 or 8.x installation disk but do not have an optical (CD/DVD) drive on your computer, you can create a flash drive to use in the installation instead. To do so, your flash drive must have at least 4 GB of space, and you'll need the valid product key that came with your Windows 7 or 8.x software. You can create a bootable flash drive on either a Windows or Mac OS X computer.

Warning: The process in the steps below will delete any data currently on the flash drive. Before continuing, be sure to back up your flash drive's data by copying it to another flash drive, your computer, or an external hard drive.

As part of the process, you'll need to obtain a Windows 7 or 8.x .iso file, which gathers all the individual Windows files into one. You cannot simply copy this file to a USB drive, but must use special software to write it properly.

Note: In Mac OS X, the option to create a Windows 7 or 8.x flash drive will only appear if the computer you're using does not have an optical drive. On Macs with optical drives, the option will be either missing or grayed out.

1. From the Finder, open the Applications folder, and then Utilities.

2. Open the Boot Camp Assistant, and then click Continue. The next screen should give you a list of options.

3. UITS recommends making the USB drive installer first. You don't need to install Windows or download the support software at this time, as it will be easier to do both later. To proceed:

a) Verify that the USB drive you will be writing to is plugged in.

b) Uncheck the Install Windows 7 or later version and Download the latest Windows support software from Apple options.

c) Check Create a Windows 7 or later install disk and click Continue.

4. Your USB drive should be listed in the "Destination disk" area. Use the choose button to browse to your .iso file; after selecting it, click Continue.

5. If prompted, confirm your action and/or provide an administrator's password. The process of writing the .iso file to the USB drive can take 20 minutes or longer.