My GPU is running hot,how long will it last at these temps?

trainergames

My 270x is running really hot,with fans set on auto it hits 101c,i have set the fans to run at max all the time,but it still hits 97c,this is while playing Far Cry 3.

Yes it has fresh thermal paste,yes the cooler is free of dust, and yes both fans are spinning.

How long with will it last hitting those high temps?

I mainly need it to last until i do my upcoming build,which my income tax SHOULD come in on the 6th of next month,and then i will have to wait for my parts to come in.

After that my current rig,including this 270x are going to my sis,but the only game she plays is Dungeons and Dragons Online.

| I7 2600@4.2Ghz | Corsair A70 w/H100 fans | 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz | MSI Z77A G45 Gaming | Corsair TX650 | XFX R9 380 | 2x 120GB Samsung 840 SSD in RAID 0 | 2x Seagate 500GB in RAID 0 | 750GB Seagate | 500GB WDHDD + 500GB WD USB HDD | Sound Blaster Recon | Antec Sonta Case | HP LP2480zx @1920x1200 | Acer H243H @1920x1080 | BenQ EW2440

Do you have enough airflow in your case?

Those temps are unsettling... 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

My 270x is running really hot,with fans set on auto it hits 101c,i have set the fans to run at max all the time,but it still hits 97c,this is while playing Far Cry 3.

Yes it has fresh thermal paste,yes the cooler is free of dust, and yes both fans are spinning.

How long with will it last hitting those high temps?

I mainly need it to last until i do my upcoming build,which my income tax SHOULD come in on the 6th of next month,and then i will have to wait for my parts to come in.

After that my current rig,including this 270x are going to my sis,but the only game she plays is Dungeons and Dragons Online.

how about you under clock it a bit?

there's no scientific way to say! it could run all day and night no issues or could cook it's goose fairly quickly.

the r9 290x would run consistently at 95c and it was said by amd it would do so for the cards entire life span.

what are you using to measure temps? if it's speed fan it maybe a rogue reading, my gpu sits at 106c on that but using afterburner it's happily running at 80c at 100% load.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

It'll probably last till then, but its certainly a shame to let it fail like that. It'd be best if you added more airflow, or maybe even underclock it, as suggested above

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

That reading can't be right with the fans working and fresh paste. Are you sure that the reading is right? Do you hear your fans accelerate? It might be a wrong reading seriously, there is no way for a 270x to run that hot!

I am using open hardware monitor, and msi afterburner to see temps, my cpu is an 8150 on stock cooling and it is hitting at least 80c in the same game, also my case is a half 932,and I have had the side panel off lol.

| I7 2600@4.2Ghz | Corsair A70 w/H100 fans | 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz | MSI Z77A G45 Gaming | Corsair TX650 | XFX R9 380 | 2x 120GB Samsung 840 SSD in RAID 0 | 2x Seagate 500GB in RAID 0 | 750GB Seagate | 500GB WDHDD + 500GB WD USB HDD | Sound Blaster Recon | Antec Sonta Case | HP LP2480zx @1920x1200 | Acer H243H @1920x1080 | BenQ EW2440

do you have any photos of your setup? cooling suggestions can be made if we see what you have to work with :)

My rig: 5820k 48Gb DDR4 Gskill Ripjaws, m.2 pcie samsgung 256Gb boot, rampage v extreme x99, 2x asus 980 strix  14.5 Tb other ssds and hdds. Laptop: Lenovo Y510P. Peripherals: G13 /RAT 7 /Corsair K70 RGB/ FLY 5 

There are a couple of things that can cause that.

One of them can be bad temperature reading, try other programs or check if there is alot of heat comming from the back of the card.

It can also be caused by really bad airflow, get some fresh air in there.

The cooler could be mounted badly. If you are really unconfortable with the temps you could remount it but there are risks.

Last case scenario you may need a RMA.

cpu:I7 4770k @ 4.3   gpu: 3.5 gb ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) GTX 970 @ 1530MHZ   Ram: 16Gb

I had to go somewhere I will be home in an hour I can get pics then, I will also try other programs.

I can't tell if that's hot for your CPU, because AMD stock cooler is real shite.

But with the panel off and your 270X can still boil water?

You might want to check that its cooler is properly seated.

All stock coolers are arse, Hence why anyone who knows what they are doign will wait for 3rd party vendors :P

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

I was referring to just his CPU's stock AMD cooler. Intel stock cooler isn't bad.

GPU-wise, for most people the AIB coolers are better, but people still have reasons to use the reference cooler (SLI for example)

Point, Intel make mediocre coolers that do that job for stock clocks not had experience with AMD,  they are slightly cheaper than any 3rd party I couldn't see any reason to use ref coolers unless you are a "buy now, regret later" kinda person or you want the cheapers SLI in existence. :P But going the extra mile is totally worth it.  

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

do you have any photos of your setup? cooling suggestions can be made if we see what you have to work with :)

MTaZ23R.jpg

Sorry about the dust the i have gotten so annoyed with this system i have given up on keeping it clean,but i know the gpu is dust free cause i recently put on fresh thermal paste.

I have a few ideas that will hopefully help,but first i have to find out if i have the screws for it.

I need to put the back fan back on.Should i have it push air out or pull air in? 

I also the air duct that came with my case, i need to put a 120mm fan in it and put it back in my case.

The last thing i just thought about, is last month one of the fans on my gpu cooler was going out,i opened a support ticket,and they sent me a new cooler for me to install,but the replacment is different from the normal one. 

Here is a pic of the bottom of the dead cooler,and i will tell you the difference.

w6tmvq6.jpg

The 2 main difference's are that the replacment has 2 larger heat pipes instead of the 4 in the pic,the other difference is on the replacement the base is full copper,instead of a small area of copper like in the pic.

I am thinking of putting good fans on the old old heatsink in the pic,if you guys think it might help.

I would rather not RMA unless i have to because the best backup card i have is a 7750....

I suspect your replacement cooler is the culprit. It might not be making (full) contact with the chip.

so you agree that I should take the fans off the replacement cooler and put them on the old heatsink? I am leaving for work soon, I will try it after work, and let you guys know how it goes.

Dusting it is the first place to start. Your card's dusty already. Even though it was clean when you photgraphed it. Then get some fans going on, front and back and both pointing towards the back of the case. Get them flowing over the backplate area of the GPU if you can. I don't suppose that you might go as far as to watercool it in the near future?

Get rid of that fine mesh on the rear exhaust area of the case if you can. They're just dust-catchers. Then you should see some difference... Hopefully. :)

post-176907-0-69221300-1422471699_thumb.

Vacuum cleaners are good for removing dust. Just be careful.

AMD GPUs tend to run hot, I would try to under clock it a bit and make sure you clean that case. It doesn't help that everything around it is running hot. Try to get it around to atleast 90.

MTaZ23R.jpg

Sorry about the dust the i have gotten so annoyed with this system i have given up on keeping it clean,but i know the gpu is dust free cause i recently put on fresh thermal paste.

I have a few ideas that will hopefully help,but first i have to find out if i have the screws for it.

I need to put the back fan back on.Should i have it push air out or pull air in? 

I also the air duct that came with my case, i need to put a 120mm fan in it and put it back in my case.

The last thing i just thought about, is last month one of the fans on my gpu cooler was going out,i opened a support ticket,and they sent me a new cooler for me to install,but the replacment is different from the normal one. 

Here is a pic of the bottom of the dead cooler,and i will tell you the difference.

w6tmvq6.jpg

The 2 main difference's are that the replacment has 2 larger heat pipes instead of the 4 in the pic,the other difference is on the replacement the base is full copper,instead of a small area of copper like in the pic.

I am thinking of putting good fans on the old old heatsink in the pic,if you guys think it might help.

I would rather not RMA unless i have to because the best backup card i have is a 7750....

thank you for the photos. firstly i would suggect some fan intake filters as they would reduce your cleaning cycle significantly. and secondly if you can and the case has feet that pick it up off the floor you could use the bottom of the case and get a 120 mm fan in there to push fresh air up towards the gfx card. hope that helps

My rig: 5820k 48Gb DDR4 Gskill Ripjaws, m.2 pcie samsgung 256Gb boot, rampage v extreme x99, 2x asus 980 strix  14.5 Tb other ssds and hdds. Laptop: Lenovo Y510P. Peripherals: G13 /RAT 7 /Corsair K70 RGB/ FLY 5