My USB ports and Motherboard are constantly powered.

Elysii

Hey guys,

So my problem is, is that my motherboard leds en usb ports are constantly powered on even though my computer is powered off. I have a CM G650M as a psu, and a Asus Maximus VII Ranger motherboard. I've checked the bios  but I couldn't find any setting that may cause this problem. Maybe I've done some cabeling wrong? This is a self-build pc, although I have experience in doing that, I might have made a mistake.

Thanks for the help!

Are you using windows 8.1?

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

Hey guys,

So my problem is, is that my motherboard leds en usb ports are constantly powered on even though my computer is powered off. I have a CM G650M as a psu, and a Asus Maximus VII Ranger motherboard. I've checked the bios  but I couldn't find any setting that may cause this problem. Maybe I've done some cabeling wrong? This is a self-build pc, although I have experience in doing that, I might have made a mistake.

Thanks for the help!

That's normal. Your PSU still keeps a 5V rail powered, even when the PC is shut down. It's sometimes used for things like AI Charger, which lets you charge your USB device, even the PC is off.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I don't have experience with Maximus boards so I can't speak to the LEDs, but some motherboards are designed to have USB power while shut off so that you can still charge devices. My ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer is set to charge Apple devices via USB even if the PC is shut down. Does it say anything in your manual about a driver of that kind?

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Are you using windows 8.1?

Yes,

That's normal. Your PSU still keeps a 5V rail powered, even when the PC is shut down. It's sometimes used for things like AI Charger, which lets you charge your USB device, even the PC is off.

Okay, I kinda want to get rid of this though, is there a way to do so?

I have an Asus P8Z77 VLK mobo and it keeps the USB ports powered on when the system is off. I consider this one of my favourite features for charging things without having to have the computer powered on. The power draw for this doesn't even register on my UPS so I wouldn't worry about that if that was your concern.

When in doubt, re-format.

I have an Asus P8Z77 VLK mobo and it keeps the USB ports powered on when the system is off. I consider this one of my favourite features for charging things without having to have the computer powered on. The power draw for this doesn't even register on my UPS so I wouldn't worry about that if that was your concern.

Not at all concerned about my bills, the lights just bug me at night.

To my knowledge there is no way to get rid of it. There IS a setting in my BIOS to enable/disable AI Charging, but in my experience with my MOBO, this setting did absolutely nothing as far as I could tell.

When in doubt, re-format.

Not at all concerned about my bills, the lights just bug me at night.

Why not turn it off by the wall plug or the psu switch if it bugs you, though I understand that's not a very good solution.

Soo many games, not enough money to get any.

as other's said some mobo's are deigned that way to charge via usb ...even mine is there is no solution for that.... turning ai charging off wont work 

To my knowledge there is no way to get rid of it. There IS a setting in my BIOS to enable/disable AI Charging, but in my experience with my MOBO, this setting did absolutely nothing as far as I could tell.

Thanks guys.

Why not turn it off by the wall plug or the psu switch if it bugs you, though I understand that's not a very good solution.

Exactly my point.

The only way to fix this is either smash the LEDS (not advised) or just unplug the Power Supply from the wall, like I always do every night incase lighting so surge doesnt come through but that's a different matter all together.