Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0

Obligatory 1st

:)

Now if only companies would stop aiming for thin and start aiming for battery life.... 

Anyway, back on topic, neat. 

P.s. random side-question, why don't most modern devices have shut-offs once they hit a full charge (i.e. why is overcharging still a thing).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Sweet!

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

No wonder it took so long to charge my OPO with a car charger. The OEM charger charges it quicker.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

@nicklmg

Have you guys toyed around with the times that you release these videos? Right now I feel like most of the forum is quite inactive. The number of users online is almost half of what it is at peak times.. (The list of online users on the bottom of the community index takes up about half as much space on my screen than it does at around ~6pm my time, which seems to be when there is the most heavy traffic. Yes, very scientific calculations :P).

I remember you guys (I think it was Linus) talking about how this time seemed the most optimal, but could you maybe try earlier? I get kinda tired waiting until 12am-1am for the new videos :D ...

Obviously you guys have done more calculations about this than I have, but it's just a thought

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

So the moral of the story is: quick charge really is quicker than everything else.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

spot save

All i like is that my xperia z is a fast charger already.  Even though the bundled in charger gave out.   :angry:

No idea there was a charging standard out there. Thought it was just usb 2 or 3.

Blarg

So the moral of the story is: quick charge really is quicker than everything else.

But with a few downsides.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

-snip-

We've played around with it a bit. This time hits Pacific people in the middle of the night, east NA in the morning, and Australia at a relatively decent time (I think evening?). It's been pretty optimal for us so far but we will be adjusting again in the future at some point.

We've played around with it a bit. This time hits Pacific people in the middle of the night, east NA in the morning, and Australia at a relatively decent time (I think evening?). It's been pretty optimal for us so far but we will be adjusting again in the future at some point.

Just about at 5pm, seems perfectly fine for me :D

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Wait, did Linus really think that SD Read/write speeds for 4K are boring and then talks about phone chargers for 5 minutes the next day? 

it's nice to see the diffencre between charger types, although that fast charge thingy form qualcomm isn't available in EU so far i know, which makes it less usefull.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Interesting, I wasn't aware a quick-charge standard existed. It's not really my use case though. I'm one of those overnight chargers. I just put chargers next to where my phone will likely be for an extended period of time (by the bed, on the desk, etc.). I leave the chargers plugged-in.

On a semi-related note: Over Christmas I was curious and I was testing idle power consumption (plugged-in without any devices attached) of a variety of USB chargers. This doesn't include consumption of charging the devices, just leaving the charger plugged in. Apple's charger was the cheapest to leave plugged in at a cost of ~$0.35 per year. The most expensive one was one of those outlets with a USB charger built in. I found it would cost me about $8 per year if it were left plugged in all the time (which, of course, it is since it has to be installed in the wall). FYI electricity costs me $0.07 per kWh (well below average). But, if you live in a place with more expensive electricity, It may be worth it to pay a little extra for a better charger.

@LinusTech I do like these comparison videos, but I am getting tired of the pseudo-statistics that seem to plague tech reviews (not just from your channel).  

You need a minimum of three samples to obtain a valid statistical standard deviation ("plus or minus").  If you were handing in a lab report with two replicates and stating a standard deviation, there would be many marks lost.  

I believe that the lines you are presenting in this video are probably correct, but without a sample size greater than three, I cannot believe those numbers.  I wrote a great long thread a while ago about this, but it seems to have been deleted.  

Please do triplicate tests when you present or talk about statistics.  Every time anyone mentions "plus or minus" without mentioning triplicate runs, I die a little on the inside.  

If you want help on how to do and present this, shoot me a message (I'm a Ph.D. student in chemistry).  

Love the videos (but hate the pseudo-stats)

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W