Msi B85-G43 Gaming mobo with i7 4790k

Go to solution Solved by Ex14,

Its not that a B85 can't handle an unlocked (K version) Processor, its just that there is little point as the only chipset which officially supports overclocking is Z97 and X99, hence getting a K version of the i7 4790 is moot.

Back on point tho, yes the i7 4790 is supported by this motherboard (as stated by http://www.msi.com/support/mb/B85G43.html#support-cpu)however it still MIGHT need a bios flash for it to work.

I just bought a msi b85-g43 gaming motherboard and an i7 4790k, i was told that this board does not support this cpu as it is a k series and need a bios update, if so can i update the bios from a usb on a first time boot, i have not built this pc yet and im not sure if i need to have it running first before i can do a bios update

Wrong. It can;t support cause 4790K is a haswell refresh. So it might need a bios flash.....tho why a K on a B85 :/?

Do you reccomend a non k i7 4790, im not all that good with cpu's

I wish you would have came to the forums sooner, the b85 does not overclock yet you have an overclocking cpu. Is it possible for you to replace for at least a z87 board instead? And it may, or may not support it out of the box depending on if they manufacturer decided to install the latest bios. I believe most have devils canyon ready motherboards at this point but I can't say for sure. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Whats your budget? Where are you located at?  Whats your usage case scenario?

Whats your budget? Where are you located at?  Whats your usage case scenario?

my budget is around $450, australia adelaide, i dont understand the last question 

I wish you would have came to the forums sooner, the b85 does not overclock yet you have an overclocking cpu. Is it possible for you to replace for at least a z87 board instead? And it may, or may not support it out of the box depending on if they manufacturer decided to install the latest bios. I believe most have devils canyon ready motherboards at this point but I can't say for sure. 

i can replace my motherboard, what do you recommend, i dont want to pay to much for one though, max $150 

i can replace my motherboard, what do you recommend, i dont want to pay to much for one though, max $150 

For an Australian budget the msi z97 pc mate comes in just at that price point, solid board for the money, I am sure you can find cheaper asrock boards however. And he means what will you use this pc for.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

my budget is around $450, australia adelaide, i dont understand the last question 

Oh, I can only tell you what i would recommend but pricing might be different...last question means what you want to do with it? (web surfuring, movies, gaming 1080 max etcetc)

Oh, I can only tell you what i would recommend but pricing might be different...last question means what you want to do with it? (web surfuring, movies, gaming 1080 max etcetc)

I will be running a server or two not sure what yet, editing and rendering videos and playing a few games, another question, will this board work with a i7 4790 non k, or is it still not compatible?

Its not that a B85 can't handle an unlocked (K version) Processor, its just that there is little point as the only chipset which officially supports overclocking is Z97 and X99, hence getting a K version of the i7 4790 is moot.

Back on point tho, yes the i7 4790 is supported by this motherboard (as stated by http://www.msi.com/support/mb/B85G43.html#support-cpu)however it still MIGHT need a bios flash for it to work.

Ok thanks man this helped alot, ill send back the i7 4790k and get a i7 4790 instead and ill have a look into doing a bios flash if i need to, thank you for your advice man