My Build Help

winkawak

I guess, the reason why im going for the new stuff is because it will last me longer rather than having to upgrade often.

Besides gaming Im also using it for 3d animation and rendering.

Ill take a look around, im opened to suggestion, im new at this after all. Im planning to buy parts a week or two. That should give me plenty of time to think over.

X99 is too much for creating 3d animation and rendering?

How many hours a week are you spending on 3D/rendering work?

Its a B.A.S major, i will be doing this when i graduate but as of right now about 3-4hrs a week.

I guess, the reason why im going for the new stuff is because it will last me longer rather than having to upgrade often.

Its a B.A.S major, i will be doing this when i graduate but as of right now about 3-4hrs a week.

You can easily get away with an i7 4790K.  If you like the idea of the 6-core, and your budget allows it... it cost about $150 dollars more overall.

This review compares many X99 boards, start at page 14.  They are all the same performance generally:

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/asrock_x99_extreme4_review,1.html

Ultimately, you just want a board that works... bottom line.  Any board by any manufacturer can come to your door dead, but it does not happen often.

Besides gaming Im also using it for 3d animation and rendering.

Ill take a look around, im opened to suggestion, im new at this after all. Im planning to buy parts a week or two. That should give me plenty of time to think over.

X99 is too much for creating 3d animation and rendering?

Rendering would benefit:/ tho I'm not sure by how much. a Z97 can last you for pretty long as well, for your usage case tho. maybe someone with more exp could chime in? I'm not well versed enough to give a recommendation for rendering and the stuff.

The onyl reason why I suggested is because X99 isn;t cheap/processor/ram/mobo etcetc But if you have the money and feel it's justified go on ahead  

@winkawak I just looked at the In Win 904.  Beautiful case, way to expensive.  In Win makes really good looking stuff.  The problem is they don't ever hit that sweet spot of performance/looks/price.  Maybe they will get it right one day.  ;)

Sorry lol took a shower. I havent read it yet, i currently own a asus monitor 1080p 3d capable 144hz 1ms response. It should suffice with what im doing right now, probably need to get a 4k monitor down the road maybe a year or two from now when 4k is cheaper. I think i have build a z97 list before, prices were about 2-300 below my x99 build. Thermaltake Urban T81 is also pretty aesthetic, price is also not too bad.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($108.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($123.25 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ ARC 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($549.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case  ($126.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1549.16
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-27 21:26 EST-0500

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($339.99 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($49.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($108.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($123.25 @ Newegg)

Storage: OCZ ARC 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($549.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case  ($126.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($114.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $1549.16

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-27 21:26 EST-0500

Theres no sli option for this mobo? Ill build one too, hold on.

Theres no sli option for this mobo? Ill build one too, hold on.

There is.  There are three PCI-E 3.0 x16 slots, 1x16, 2x8x8, 3x...never mind 3 =D

...but... it is out of stock =/

There is.  There are three PCI-E 3.0 x16 slots, 1x16, 2x8x8, 3x...never mind 3 =D

...but... it is out of stock =/

what the hell is pci e3 x16? only gpu goes on there?

what the hell is pci e3 x16? only gpu goes on there?

lol Yeah

PCI-E X16 is the current slot for GPU's.

i just build one with msi gtx970 and a ASRock Z97 Extreme6 mobo, price came out similar to yours. So by going z97 i can save about 3-400$ but is it worth it performance wise compared to my x99 build? Btw this z97 extreme6 mobo has 3 pci e3 x16, 1 pci e2 x16 and 1 pci e1x16. What are the pci e2 and e1 for?

i just build one with msi gtx970 and a ASRock Z97 Extreme6 mobo, price came out similar to yours. So by going z97 i can save about 3-400$ but is it worth it performance wise compared to my x99 build? Btw this z97 extreme6 mobo has 3 pci e3 x16, 1 pci e2 x16 and 1 pci e1x16. What are the pci e2 and e1 for?

The difference is not that much in price if you shop smart.  No more than $200-$250.  The MSI GD65 (or the Gaming 5 even) is a good buy at the price range of the Extreme 6.  The Extreme 3 performs the same at $104 ($120 before rebate).

You will see a difference in rendering times, definitely.  Anything program that utilizes the full arsenal of CPU cores will be faster.  You plan on using it for only a few hours a week, maybe 6, doing work.  You are right though, your work habits COULD change, so as long as your budget allows it you can play it safe by going the X99 route.

Remember, the $160 Extreme 3 and the ASUS Deluxe roughly perform the same.

hows

ASRock X99 Extreme4,

ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer,

ASRock X99 Extreme6,

ASRock X99 Professional,

ASRock X99 OC Formula compared to x99 deluxe ?

Startng to look more into asrock, pretty good reviews so farand is cheaper than deluxe.

hows

ASRock X99 Extreme4,

ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer,

ASRock X99 Extreme6,

ASRock X99 Professional,

ASRock X99 OC Formula compared to x99 deluxe ?

Startng to look more into asrock, pretty good reviews so farand is cheaper than deluxe.

Just the features are different.  Basic performance is the same.  Look at the features, and see if those features are worth the extra money.

This is ALL high-End.

hey btw if i was using ssd to install window and software and use hdd to stored the rest would ssd considered a raid setup?

hey btw if i was using ssd to install window and software and use hdd to stored the rest would ssd considered a raid setup?

I never never used RAID, but the quick answer would be no.  The SSD would be a boot drive + program drive (run programs on the SSD to lower loading times).  The mechanical drive would be a storage drive + program drive.

I never never used RAID, but the quick answer would be no.  The SSD would be a boot drive + program drive (run programs on the SSD to lower loading times).  The mechanical drive would be a storage drive + program drive.

thanks, damn i still cant decide which mobo but ill be ordering the rest this week.

thanks, damn i still cant decide which mobo but ill be ordering the rest this week.

If you are thinking of pushing the OC on the CPU, you can look at AsRock Z97 Extreme 3.  It has a "beefier" VRM (VRM delivers clean energy to the CPU), it should OC a bit better and is not that much more expensive.... about $15 difference.

Asus mobo is out of the question due to too many negative review and overall issues. After your suggestion of asrock mobo i did alot of comparing between the mobo i listed above and i have decided to go with Asrock Fatal1ty x99x killer or Asrock x99 pro. The pro version has additional 1 x M.2_SSD (NGFF) Socket 3 (M2_1), supports M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen2 x4 (20 Gb/s). Im not sure what that is or if i needed for future but everything else between the two board is the same.

Asus mobo is out of the question due to too many negative review and overall issues. After your suggestion of asrock mobo i did alot of comparing between the mobo i listed above and i have decided to go with Asrock Fatal1ty x99x killer or Asrock x99 pro. The pro version has additional 1 x M.2_SSD (NGFF) Socket 3 (M2_1), supports M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen2 x4 (20 Gb/s). Im not sure what that is or if i needed for future but everything else between the two board is the same.

AsRock has been good to me and the 8 or so builds of friends (no failures, great value).  I know a lot of people here, on LTT, have built extensively with them as well.  There is really nothing bad about them. :)

AsRock has been good to me and the 8 or so builds of friends (no failures, great value).  I know a lot of people here, on LTT, have built extensively with them as well.  There is really nothing bad about them. :)

Thanks for answering and staying throughout this thread. Please give me a moment and ill post my final build list.