Anyone who is familiar with flashing routers?

unsane21

What brand is the best for router flashing or to be more precise what is the best router to be flashed?

We tried a cheap cheap ASUS RT-10+ D1 and it can be flashed. However it was too weak, the wifi wasn't antiquate, and other than that it doesn't have enough memory for it. Making me wonder, If any one in the linustechtips folks had any experience in VPNing a router. PLEASE TELL me what router you used or please suggest one that can provide me and my family all the things we need.

I have not personally setup a VPN as I haven't had a need to do it yet, but if you're talking about flashing routers with DD-WRT to get advanced features, I'm well versed in that notion.

Over the past few years I've flashed probably 5-8 different models of routers with DD-WRT to be used as range extenders, get much better port forwarding support, and run torrents off one to an external hard drive.

Let me know what you need specifically and myself or another member of this wonderful community can point you in the right direction.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

• 2 weeks later...

What I want to know is that what router will be the best router for flashing for openVPN? Right now, I'm trying to weigh my options here. Are ASUS routers good. Do i still stick to linksys or cisco and flash those and see what happens.

If you have an old computer with 2 NIC you could use PFSense  :P

Unfortunatelly there is no best router for "flashing for openVPN" 
The question is more: Which router i can flash with a 3rd party firmware to use openVPN on it. LOL

The "power" of the router will all depend on your internet speed, which type of encryption you will use and the amount of connection that will use that VPN

Main: Intel i7-4770K, MSI Z87 MPower, 2x 4GB G.Skills 1866MHz CL9, 2x Gigabyte R9-290X, Fractal Design XL R2, 2x Samsung EVO 250GB Raid0 and 2x 1TB Seagate Raid0, Top power 1000W 80+ Bronze, Asus PCE-AC68

Server: AMD FX-8350, MSI 970a-G46, 2x 4GB Mushkin 1866Mhz CL9, MSI 8600GT, Fractal Design Define R4, Samsung EVO 250GB and 6X 2TB Seagate RAID 10, EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+Gold, 2x Intel GBe NIC
Router: Pfsense 2.2, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Acer crap motherboard, 4x 2GB Samsung 800Mhz CL4, Fractal Design Node 604, OCZ Agility 2 50GB, Thermaltake 400W 80+, 2x Intel GBe NIC