Sata 2 and Sata 3 compatible?

The Dragon

Are sata 2 and sata 3 compatible? Say I'm connecting a sata 3 cable into my sata 3 connector on my motherboard then connecting the other end to a sata 2 device, would that work?

CPU: some amd thing Motherboard: its black RAM: its memory thats for sure GPU: r7 260x Case: corsair spec 01 Storage: 1tb of it PSU: 430w, so many watts

Display: its asus Cooling: fans Keyboard: logitech g710+ #browns4lyfe Mouse: its a logitech Sound: its what you hear Operating System: winders  

Yes.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Are sata 2 and sata 3 compatible? Say I'm connecting a sata 3 cable into my sata 3 connector on my motherboard then connecting the other end to a sata 2 device, would that work?

Yeah, all SATA cables are the same except some lock and some don't.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

I believe so

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

SATA, PCIE and USB revisions are compatible. (of course not sata to usb, but sata to sata ;) )

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Yes.

Awesome

CPU: some amd thing Motherboard: its black RAM: its memory thats for sure GPU: r7 260x Case: corsair spec 01 Storage: 1tb of it PSU: 430w, so many watts

Display: its asus Cooling: fans Keyboard: logitech g710+ #browns4lyfe Mouse: its a logitech Sound: its what you hear Operating System: winders  

SATA, PCIE and USB revisions are compatible. (of course not sata to usb, but sata to sata ;) )

I love things like that

Does that mean I can plug my PCIE SATA drive in a USB port?

Does that mean I can plug my PCIE SATA drive in a USB port?

only if it has an IDE power cable

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Who DaFreak Uses Sata 2

most HDDs still ;)

Do sata 2 cables still exist?

they are exactly the same as SATA1 and SATA3 except that with SATA2 they were revised to have an (optional) locking mechanism

Who DaFreak Uses Sata 2

I have an old device

Hey The Dragon,

All SATA devices and connectors are backwards and forwards compatible. You should have no problem using SATA 2 device on a SATA 3 port. The only concern would be the speed as it would be as fast as the slower link (in your case, the SATA2 speed of the drive).
I have an older laptop with SATA2 port and I have no problem using my SATA3 WD Black2 in it. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey The Dragon,

All SATA devices and connectors are backwards and forwards compatible. You should have no problem using SATA 2 device on a SATA 3 port. The only concern would be the speed as it would be as fast as the slower link (in your case, the SATA2 speed of the drive).
I have an older laptop with SATA2 port and I have no problem using my SATA3 WD Black2 in it. :)

Captain_WD.

Ok Thank you