can a res lay down

yes 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

It depend on the res, or more to the point, the holes in it.

If laying the res on it sides, means that you need to have it full, to even get flow, then its not worth it.

So check the res you think about using and make sure the holes allow for a good water flow.

thanks!

Some reservoirs have some sort of vortexing or bubble reducing material/design that only works in a certain orientation with certain inlets/outlets.

If you turn is sideways, it will still work fine, as long as it is still continuously feeding water into the pump, but it may not be working at 100% designed optimal efficieny

It can, but I would have gone with this one: http://www.coolerkit.dk/shop/ek-res-x3-3272p.html

Just because you got holes on more sides, which means you might not need angles to make the loop work.

My idea is actually to put my res on top of my case so the premouted mount kit on the first res is nice