GTX 970 SLI unstable?

Pooherino ツ

You're running two different cards that are running at different clock speeds. That's why you're having issues

For SLI you want matched pairs of cards

SLI will automatically sync for the clock speeds of the slowest GPU.

SLI will automatically sync for the clock speeds of the slowest GPU.

You're still going to have problems with two different cards. That's why you sli with the same cards running the same bios

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

You're still going to have problems with two different cards. That's why you sli with the same cards running the same bios

That is of course correct. However, those kinds of issues usually present themselves in SLI refusing to work in certain titles where it shoud work, or driver crashes due to SLI having hard time managing 2 different cards. Not performance issues. Not to that degree.

OP, I would suggest you lower the game's graphical settings, see if it helps. Also, to avoid some issues, make sure the slower card of the 2 is master.

OP never did post what settings he is using, if he is forcing 8x MSAA I'd try lowering that.

I don't know if trolling or what...

But you realise the 970 HAS 4GB of VRAM, it simply does not use it all - there is some problem that inhibits it from using all of the 4GB, and caps at 3.7GB? I have the 970 and its an awesome card, the performance is incredible.

We still don't know if a firmware update will solve this problem.

It won't. This is a hardware issue. Although better drivers and firmware might make it a tad better. Nothing but a redesign is going to completely fix the issue, which I don't see happening.